The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Startup Idea - Any Suggestions?

Idea threads

Chris Kuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 27, 2017
Surrey
Hi! I'm a student, and I'm planning to launch my new startup idea. It's a relatively simple concept: An editing service for students, businesses and job-seekers alike. Although there are already many businesses that provide editing: I hope to differentiate myself by:

-Lowest priced service, at a base 12 hour turnaround time ($0.015 per word)
-Stretches beyond grammatical edits, gives constructive and creative ideas for making the paper stand out
-Very simple interface (No forms of any sort), 2 Steps: Payment - Cloud Dropbox, and you're good to go within 12 hours
-Special Requests for business writeups / cover letter assistance (does not include school-based assignments, as that would attribute to academic dishonesty)
-Application for IOS / Android, considering to create the ability for customers to see their paper being edited live? (Doing research as to show the process of editing may help people to improve) Also has notifications, timer-counts, etc.

Any comments are welcomed! This is my first startup, and I've been planning it for several months now.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Hi! I'm a student, and I'm planning to launch my new startup idea. It's a relatively simple concept: An editing service for students, businesses and job-seekers alike. Although there are already many businesses that provide editing: I hope to differentiate myself by:

-Stretches beyond grammatical edits, gives constructive and creative ideas for making the paper stand out
-Very simple interface (No forms of any sort), 2 Steps: Payment - Cloud Dropbox, and you're good to go within 12 hours
-Special Requests for business writeups / cover letter assistance (does not include school-based assignments, as that would attribute to academic dishonesty)
-Application for IOS / Android, considering to create the ability for customers to see their paper being edited live? (Doing research as to show the process of editing may help people to improve) Also has notifications, timer-counts, etc.

Any comments are welcomed! This is my first startup, and I've been planning it for several months now.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Hey man-Congradulations on taking action-This over time is the key

One word of advice-Remember the lowest priced service on the market isnt necessarily the best thing esp long term.

Sure get your 1st gig at this price but after everyone push up the price as quality=Payment

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Who does the editing? Once you can no longer do all the editing, do you hire someone? Do you pay them $30,000 a year? Or do you source foreign? If they're foreign, how do handle risk with non native English speakers?

Some things to think about.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

If you're going against established competition and your plan is faster turnaround and lower price, you're kind of setting yourself up for having a minimum wage job.

I would look at some other unique value add that the others don't provide.

This might be an idea,... but then it looks like you're trying to create an independent version of upwork copywriting. Maybe check out:

GOLD - How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Notable! - SinisterLex's - I Deleted My Upwork Account...

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Who does the editing? Once you can no longer do all the editing, do you hire someone? Do you pay them $30,000 a year? Or do you source foreign? If they're foreign, how do handle risk with non native English speakers?

Good questions. Also OP, consider who's going to develop the app. Will it be you or will you outsource?

Do you have funds to bootstrap this idea? Or do you have an investor? (personally stay away from investors)

Are you going to market everything yourself? Should your focus be more for B2C or B2B? Which one makes the most sense? Just a few thoughts of mine.

Chris Kuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 27, 2017
Surrey
Hey man-Congradulations on taking action-This over time is the key

One word of advice-Remember the lowest priced service on the market isnt necessarily the best thing esp long term.

Sure get your 1st gig at this price but after everyone push up the price as quality=Payment
Thanks! Yeah there definitely needs to be something better than price, and quality is an important issue

Chris Kuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 27, 2017
Surrey

So I personally do the editing myself, and I've created a group of 20 friends (All students) who are all excellent writers / editors, and we plan to work together. I plan to pay my editors by commission, by a 66% margin. 500 words I'll charge $7.50, and I'll pay my editors $5. If demand ramps up, and I plan to source out for new editors, then I'll definitely do training myself and ensure quality amongst my editors. Typically, I'd prefer all my editors to speak / write native-English as a qualification to become an editor.

Chris Kuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 27, 2017
Surrey
If you're going against established competition and your plan is faster turnaround and lower price, you're kind of setting yourself up for having a minimum wage job.

I would look at some other unique value add that the others don't provide.

This might be an idea,... but then it looks like you're trying to create an independent version of upwork copywriting. Maybe check out:

GOLD - How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Notable! - SinisterLex's - I Deleted My Upwork Account...
Definitely - still brainstorming ideas. I would think that my business is more trustworthy as opposed to Fiverr / Upwork, as we plan 100% money-back guarantees & satisfactions, and it is charged back to your bank as opposed to credits. There are good freelancers, but there are also fake ones too.

Chris Kuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 27, 2017
Surrey
Good questions. Also OP, consider who's going to develop the app. Will it be you or will you outsource?

Do you have funds to bootstrap this idea? Or do you have an investor? (personally stay away from investors)

Are you going to market everything yourself? Should your focus be more for B2C or B2B? Which one makes the most sense? Just a few thoughts of mine.
All the applications, site development, are all done by people I personally know. Funds won't be too much of an issue, as I don't think it'll take too much to start it up - and marketing will be all done by me. I think my focus would be B2C, as I plan to start with students primarily. I'll move to businesses once I've got some demand / foothold in the competition.

Chris Kuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 27, 2017
Surrey
I guess the first question we should all be asking is, have you read the book that this forum is based on?
No I haven't haha - I was referred to this site by a friend, so I'm quite new. I'll check out the book in a bit, still have some exploring to do around here

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.