The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting The Best Marketing Podcast in The World

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Yo team,

I started keeping a journal, and it's been 100% transformational for my business. It helps remind me of my goals, keeps me on track, and also gets me to commit to the things that I want to do with full awareness of the price I'll have to pay to get it. And this latter part is crucially important. If you want to get anywhere in life, you've got to be willing to pay the price.

If you're not willing, and you never fully contemplate the price and commit to paying it beforehand, when you get punched in the face, your mind will quit, because the short-term desire will take over. To prevent this from happening, you must foresee and anticipate the pain, and accept it beforehand. Then you have the advantage going in.

I realized all this thanks to the book that @lewj24 recommended in his thread here. The book has really been one of those life-changing books for me, that eliminated the crap and confusion, and got me to refine all my life. The book, combined with my own idea of keeping a journal to remind myself of my most important desires and the price I'll have to pay has changed my life, and everyone who knows me, knows that I don't say stuff like that lightly. It really made a tremendous difference.

Moving on.

I write in my journal, as part of my entry:

I have decided today that I will need to start a podcast for my main marketing business. Producing content is KEY to drawing eyes, building an audience, providing more value, and getting more clients so that I can scale to the next level. And producing written content [from scratch] is slow, inefficient and expensive. Good writers who can write the content themselves are expensive AND you lose control over the content + have to quality check it anyway. It's much more effective if I produce the content myself via an audio only podcast, disseminate it across all necessary platforms, and then hire a writer for me to create written content in SEO form based on my audio. Getting this content aspect of the agency going will help me scale to the next level, and get a lot more clients, more passively than I've done it so far, while producing a lot more valueable content for entrepreneurs. Writer will also need to manage and post on LI. Perhaps a writer + VA person, all-in-one, is perfect for this. Tomorrow I plan to start reading in more detail about the process of starting a podcast and then I will move to doing it.
And by the way guys, this is not some BS that I come with now, it's stuff directly from my journal back then.

Next day I read this article, and jumped into action. I looked at the software that they recommended, and already purchased the solution that works best with Wordpress, Castos. And proceeded to integrate it. Cost was like $100 something, can't even remember.

Following day, I started looking for a VA + writer, AND an audio editor for the podcast.

By 04.29.2021 I had hired the audio editor and gave him the list of tasks he'd be responsible for. Price: $18/hr.

I wrote the description of the podcast, and planned it all out, including choosing the name. Ended up going for The Underground Marketer Podcast, because I intended to address people who are trying to grow businesses FAST, and the whole underground idea suggested the desired effect. I checked to make sure no one had the name already taken.

I also created the overarching strategy for the podcast using a framework shared in his INSIDERS thread by big-baller @MTF. I will post the results below:

Purpose:
I want to create a podcast for business owners interested in having a knowledge advantage when it comes to their startup marketing. My motivation is to help business owners sell more, communicate more authentically, and create more value by learning to see more opportunities, and giving them tactics to make it happen. This will create greater abundance and wealth for everyone involved.

What difference will it make?

Entrepreneurs can scale their businesses more/quicker, leading to more employment.

Entrepreneurs can be better off themselves.

There will be greater abundance in the world.

The Vision

The world’s most popular podcast when it comes to marketing a startup. The payoff is creating a place where entrepreneurs can find curated knowledge that will help them see more opportunities, identify smarter ways to make use of their existing assets, communicate better with their customers and create more value. These tactics are things that work, and that can allow them to compete with the behemoths that already crowd the industries they activate in.

Best Case Scenario:
The podcast becomes the most listened to podcast for entrepreneurs looking to market new businesses. As a result, they learn to identify more opportunities, tap into them, and produce greater wealth for themselves and for society as a whole.

Worst Case Scenario:
Opportunities will be frequently missed, valuable products will not make it to market, innovation will be lost, we will all be poorer. Missed opportunities. Business owners lacking the tools necessary to bring their products to market, or even to identify potential opportunities for profit and value. Frustration with not being able to communicate the value of their product. On a personal level, missing out on an opportunity to create wealth for myself and for thousands of other aspiring entrepreneurs using the skillset that I already have.

What does success look like?

1. A weekly podcast once every Monday.

2. 3,000 active listeners by the end of 2021.

3. An email list of at least 3,000 subscribers by end of 2021.

4. 1,500 active Discord members by end of 2021.

5. At least one email sent out every week.

6. Podcasts turned into valuable SEO written content.

7. Focus on the funnel: podcast -> Discord/email list -> clients.

8. Podcast + written content shared on LinkedIn weekly, at least 1 post per day of the week.

9. Writer/VA to manage everything apart from recording the podcasts and the topics. The writer will write the articles, post on LinkedIn, engage with the Audio editor, and make sure everything is working fine. I will just approve.

I realized I also needed a voiceover to introduce the podcast. So I wanted to pick something that represents me, so I had to chase after this guy I've worked with a long time in the past, who did voiceovers for McDonalds, NBC, and the big boys. He had the exact alpha male voice that I wanted to go for. Lo and behold, I could not get ahold of him.

Also wrote the voiceover script.

AND recorded the first 3 F*cking episodes (after doing some brainstorming for topics)! Like a real BEAST!

04.30.2021 I selected my VA+writer, chose a great person for a price of $9/hr.

Next step was to introduce the two of them, clarify tasks, and get them ready to start crushing it. Including giving the editor the first 3 episodes.

I also continued chasing the same voiceover guy, because no one had the same strong alpha male voice that I wanted.

Recorded 2 more episodes, because I wanted to crush it, and start strong by releasing 5 all at once. Like a real beast.

I sent 2 more emails trying to chase the voiceover guy.

(all this by the way, while still doing my regular work in my agency)

Now the month ran out of days for me to continue crushing it, so I had to move to the next month...

After another email to the voiceover guy, and getting ready to start calling nonstop, I finally got ahold of him. He was willing, but for a 20 second voiceover with his alpha male voice, he wanted $100, not just $50. Deal. Let's go. Hired on the spot!

Also selected a piece of music to go with my podcast.

This day was also Easter Sunday in my country, so I spent the rest of the time with my family.

I finally get ahold of the voiceover, after chasing the guy for a bit. I know, he's real busy, no problems, since he really hit the ball outta the park on it, as expected. Done. Now passed it over to my VA, to pass it on to audio guy. Full production ahead, asap.

I hire a designer ($25/hr) to help me create the artwork for the podcast.

Got them the same day back, revised a few things, when music should start, bla bla, and done.

Next, there's this thing known as id3 tagging you have to do, so that the audio file basically has a record of the Podcast name, you as the author, that kinda stuff. Made sure that my VA knew how to check them, and my editor knew what I expected, and made sure they got it right.

I also started my VA on writing blog articles based on the content, while waiting for the final files.

Already getting pissed off because things are moving too slow for my liking.

So I jump into creating all the podcast pages that I need, the copy and the structure right into my website.

Needed a total of 4 pages, I started with the templates provided by Castos and their plugin, Seriously Simple Podcasting. Here they are:

Main Page: The Underground Marketer Podcast | TANDA Digital
Subscribe Page: Subscribe to The Underground Marketer Podcast | TANDA Digital
All episodes page: Podcast Archive | TANDA Digital
Single episode page: Episode 1 - What is Marketing? | TANDA Digital

Then I handed these pages over to the same designer who did the artwork to design, in Elementor to make it easy.

First 3 episodes are published, including show notes which my VA created, based on the advice and recommendations I had provided in terms of structure.

VA informs me she can't work the weekend.

No problem. Full steam ahead.

05.09.2021 (Sunday)

Designer finishes design, and really knocks it outta the park!

I'm getting tired of how long it's taking to publish, so I make sure that the podcast is submitted to be published with just 3 episodes on the top 6 directories, from here.

All of them approved the same day, apart from Google Podcasts, who have STILL not approved, and 2-3 smaller directories that do not accept submissions outside of US. Their loss.

I record another episode.

2 more episodes are published, and show notes are created for one of them.

VA starts submitting the podcast everywhere else.

That is today boys. Exactly 16 days ago, the podcast was just an idea in my journal. Today, 16 days later (out of which 3 were Easter days, and 2 were weekends), I have a full team handling everything about it, except for choosing the content and recording it, which I do. I just hand the recording, and then I can focus not the rest of the work. Articles are getting written based on it, improving SEO, and show notes are provided to give greater value.

We've got 5 episodes fully published, fully designed pages, submitted and approved on most important directories. The 5th episode, will probably have the show notes up by today or tomorrow latest.

They will also be fully published on YouTube by end of today.

The intention is to now produce content weekly, maybe in the near-term future I'll be releasing two or more in a week so we get more episodes in, but then 1/week.

And I will do 3 solo, and 1 interview style.

What I want you to get from this guys, is that you need to move FAST. Alright? I read some threads here, and people are taking F*cking AGES to do simple tasks. Like set up a business. Or create a blog. Or I don't know what. What's taking you so long? You need to press that F*cking acceleration pedal, release your breaks, and speed up to success. In a day, you can get a MASSIVE amount of work in. But a lot of you are wasting time... You know, you get stuck, thinking what about this, what about that, uhhh that's too expensive, and so on. I just don't give a F*ck, and go ahead. Need to choose a name? Done. Need to pay $100, $200, or whatever? Done, here's the cash, let's get going. And by the way, how can we go faster?! Uhh, let me sleep over it, what if this isn't the right person to choose? F*ck that! This is the person, let's go, here's the contract, sign here please.

I will keep updating this thread, but I want you guys to understand the importance of speed. Most of you are super slow from what I see. It takes you DAYS to do tasks that high-achievers do in hours. You need to become conscious of this and start moving faster. I feel I was SLOW in launching the podcast. Think about that. I was SLOW at doing all this. If I was SLOW, how do you compare?

And if you compare me to guys like Elon Musk, I'm like a SNAIL. Imagine, if I'm a snail, what are you? Elon Musk does as much in a DAY as some of you here do in a MONTH - and that's not an exaggeration. Speed is much more important in success than getting it right, by the way. It's better to work fast, and do it by making mistakes, then to be a snail and get it perfect.

So let this be an inspiration for those of you sitting on the fence to get off it, get after it, and slam your foot down on the acceleration pedal of your life, FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!!! :fistbump::fistbump:

If you've got any questions for me, feel free. I may be sharing new content here as I create it, if @MJ DeMarco doesn't like me linking my website, I can link YouTube instead once the content is there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Just wanted to share the recent 2-hour interview with our very own @Speed112, we discuss getting on the fastlane path, how to find opportunities, change your mindset, get started as a freelancer and build a business. Could be of high interest to people looking on how they can get started from NOTHING, since that's what @Speed112 started with:

Listen on YouTube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_u69IsHwj8

Listen on my website (also lets you get show notes + transcript and you can subscribe on Apple Podcasts and others):

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Another great episode that will help everyone dealing with Facebook Advertising and NOT making sufficient money... you'll learn about some unseen problems that are rarely talked about that plague online advertising, and you'll understand how some people can spend $10,000+ on Facebook ads with little or NO RESULTS at all!

Listen on YouTube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttFYOSBaOwo

Listen on my website (also lets you get show notes + transcript and you can subscribe on Apple Podcasts and others):

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
NEW Episode Released Today!

I truly think this is one of the best so far...

If there's ONE that you should listen to, it is this one.

Value is huge.

Here's what it's about:

BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS & NETWORKING FOR SUCCESS
THE SHORTCUT TO MASSIVE WEALTH!

You can't make BIG MONEY as an entrepreneur or marketer if you don't build relationships. In today's episode, I'll go over the importance of relationships and walk you through the top 15 most powerful techniques for becoming a pro at building impactful connections for your business. So listen below, and don't forget to subscribe!

Listen on YouTube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92bn10mg4rA

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Do You RELY On Copywriting For Sales?

Inside this episode, I reveal the modified framework that I use to make sure my writing grabs the target audience's ATTENTION, and CLOSES THE DEAL!

I demystify the secrets of writing that sells and show you how to craft compelling sales messages that get your prospects to take action.

So listen below, and don't forget to subscribe!

Listen on YouTube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USbRDqW2gXk

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Great new episode with @Alxf available for all of you to watch!

Alex started from scratch and built a 6-figure tutoring business
(listen to discover HOW!). Inside the episode he advises aspiring entrepreneurs about the most important aspects of starting a business, the challenges they may face, and the mistakes they need to avoid. You’ll learn how to use content marketing to get more customers and how he developed his hiring and outsourcing processes, which were the key to growing his business as an introvert.

Listen to the episode to learn more about Alex’s plans to support others like him on their journey to build their own tutoring empires!

Listen on Youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKL-vEdsSD4&ab_channel=TheUndergroundMarketerPodcast

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Is your business struggling to find more clients in a crowded industry?

In today’s episode, I’ll go over what a unique mechanism is and how it's the number ONE factor that will help you stand out and get more business. I will also reveal my unique 5-step methodology to coming up with an effective unique mechanism from scratch - whether you're doing it for your own business, or as a copywriter for others.

Listen on Youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORa2ZFpGKU

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Had a GREAT time with @Johnny boy recently on the podcast, 2 hours long, he SPILLS THE BEANS on everything he did to get his local service business from 0 to $15K profit a A MONTH at just 24 years old.

Three big ideas you'll discover inside:
  1. Jonathan reveals an instant trick to rank higher in search results and optimize your Google My Business page.
  2. If you have a local business, Jonathan suggests a radical "phone hack" that you can use to get potential clients to CALL YOU on autopilot. That's right, no more "cold-calling" ;)
  3. Jonathan explains why tailor-made services take more time and are difficult to scale, so you should seek to productize your service where possible. It can help you save valuable time and resources while allowing you to grow your business efficiently. However, try to still give each client a personalized feeling for increased customer satisfaction.
Enjoy!

Listen on Youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRccWZXh6Aw&ab_channel=TheUndergroundMarketerPodcast

Feel free to ask @Johnny boy any questions in this thread, by PM, or if he wishes, he can even create another thread for it!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Episode 17 - INTERVIEW: Oliver Duffy-Lee Coaches Agencies to Scale From $0 to Over $20K/mo Recurring Revenue

Do you want to learn how to scale a digital agency from $0 to $20K/mo?

In today’s episode, I interview Oliver Duffy-Lee, founder of LaunchPad Academy. Oliver is a business coach for creative agencies. He helps them build the business of their dreams by finding and winning the clients they really want to work with. He spent most of his adult life working in marketing but always dreamed of going his own way. He realized that it’s now or never. Using his professional experience, through a process of trial and error, he was able to adapt and improve quickly. His business grew as well, and now his coaching program enlists more than 50 members.

3 Big Ideas

1. Start with your target audience in mind and build around that. Don’t focus too much on the product and how you’re going to sell it, but who you’re going to sell it to. It’s better to begin by conducting market research, figuring out what people need, and think about how you can help them.
  2. You probably think that it’s better to find an untouched market, to start up in a blue ocean. But that’s a fallacy. You need a lot of resources to be a pioneer in a new market and success is not guaranteed. Instead, launch your business in a pink ocean where there is demand and working business models.
  3. Focus on the outcome, not the activity. Always keep in mind the reason why you are doing it. Even though the activity is boring or makes you afraid, your goal will keep you moving forward.
Listen on Youtube:
View: https://youtu.be/rJI7CjZ_toM

Listen on Website (includes show notes + transcript): Episode 17 - INTERVIEW: Oliver Duffy-Lee Coaches Agencies to Scale to Over $20K/mo Recurring Revenue | TANDA Digital

We will also be hosting a LIVE Q&A SESSION WITH OLIVER via Discord, so if you want to ask him any questions, please join for the chat (voice only). It will be hosted next Thursday, August 19th 18:00 UK Time, in the Q&A Channel under "Voice Channels" in our Discord server. To join and ask your questions, click here.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Great job! Subscribed to your podcast.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Had a GREAT time with @Johnny boy recently on the podcast, 2 hours long, he SPILLS THE BEANS on everything he did to get his local service business from 0 to $15K profit a A MONTH at just 24 years old.

Three big ideas you'll discover inside:
  1. Jonathan reveals an instant trick to rank higher in search results and optimize your Google My Business page.
  2. If you have a local business, Jonathan suggests a radical "phone hack" that you can use to get potential clients to CALL YOU on autopilot. That's right, no more "cold-calling" ;)
  3. Jonathan explains why tailor-made services take more time and are difficult to scale, so you should seek to productize your service where possible. It can help you save valuable time and resources while allowing you to grow your business efficiently. However, try to still give each client a personalized feeling for increased customer satisfaction.
Enjoy!

Listen on Youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRccWZXh6Aw&ab_channel=TheUndergroundMarketerPodcast

Feel free to ask @Johnny boy any questions in this thread, by PM, or if he wishes, he can even create another thread for it!
I'm surprised this thread hasn't gained more traction and attention yet.

@Black_Dragon43, I haven't listened to the other episodes, but the one with @Johnny boy is solid.

I like your interview style. You shine a spotlight on your guest and don't interrupt with your take on how you think it is or should be. Your ego isn't in the way. You show genuine interest and create a welcoming atmosphere where little nuances and gold nuggets can freely bubble up. You are prepared with key talking points but at the same time let the conversation flow freely.

I like your and Johnny's cut-through-the-BS, ego-crushing, devil-may-care and sometimes cocky comments here on the forum. This episode shows you two as down-to-earth and humble, too. A great mix.

On the length of the episode. 2 hours is a bit too much for me and I don't have time to listen to such long podcasts on a regular (which turns you into a passive consumer). What works for me personally is having 5-20 minute snippets from lengthy interviews focused on a specific topic or a story the guest shares. This way I can pull into my life exactly what I'm looking for when I need it. But it's just me and I may not be your ideal target audience.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@Flint I’m with you. This is quality and like you said, paints these two guys in a humble and knowledgeable way. I don’t have 2hrs, and honestly don’t ever see having that time, so I usually do 1.5x while I work out and get through half of an episode. Podcasts are too long for me. But what I appreciate more than anything is the little write up, the 3 big ideas. Well done @Black_Dragon43. This allows me to sort through what I want and immediately decide what I don’t want. Saves time and keeps me subscribed to this thread and your podcast.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Awesome feedback @Antifragile and @Flint, thank you guys, really appreciate it and means a lot to me. I will try to keep the guest interviews to 1hr30, and condense the top quality in there. The episodes with just myself, those are usually 20-30min, so much shorter!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Awesome feedback @Antifragile and @Flint, thank you guys, really appreciate it and means a lot to me. I will try to keep the guest interviews to 1hr30, and condense the top quality in there. The episodes with just myself, those are usually 20-30min, so much shorter!

To clarify, when I say 1.5x, I mean speed of listening on Podcasts app. If my workout is 45 min, I get through a little over an hour.
What would be super helpful is not shorter podcasts but leaving a note where the golden nugget is, like the tip on ___ is covered starting at ____ min into our chat. That kind of thing. This way if I don’t have time to listen to the whole episode, I can forward to the part that’s of interest to me. Just an idea…

Keep up the good work!

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
My feedback is similar:
  • Long (>30 min) podcasts don't work for me if I can't see and choose the part I may be interested in.
  • Usually, I look for a single story or an answer to a specific question. It could be lost in a lengthy episode. I second @Antifragile's suggestion to have some timestamped table of contents (or similar).
  • In addition, I like sharing good content with others. But I want it to be to the point so that when they watch/listen to the first 15-30 seconds they already know why it's relevant. That's why a short (5-15 min) segment would be ideal for me for this purpose. #shorts

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
My feedback is similar:
  • Long (>30 min) podcasts don't work for me if I can't see and choose the part I may be interested in.
  • Usually, I look for a single story or an answer to a specific question. It could be lost in a lengthy episode. I second @Antifragile's suggestion to have some timestamped table of contents (or similar).
  • In addition, I like sharing good content with others. But I want it to be to the point so that when they watch/listen to the first 15-30 seconds they already know why it's relevant. That's why a short (5-15 min) segment would be ideal for me for this purpose. #shorts
We do have timestamps in the show notes, unfortunately, we still have to make them clickable so they actually take you to that point in the podcast. We've had some difficulties with this so far because of the technical solution we're using for the podcast, but we're working on it! At the moment you need to scroll to them.

So do you think that we should add a table of contents or just leave it in the show notes, but make them clickable?

Here's an example from the one with @Johnny boy
[00:31:36] Jonathan talks about the system that he has in place to ensure a constant stream of employees.
  • Jonathan is always hiring people. While some of them prove to be unreliable and give up after just a few days, he’s glad if he can get some people to work steadily for a few months.
  • He always has some backup options – guys that he can call if he needs someone on short notice. Also, he can fill in for the position himself.
  • He also plans to implement more services so he has more employees and more backup for urgent jobs. For example, if you have a guy who pressure washes the houses, you can call him and tell him that he’ll be mowing the lawn instead. It’s like a baseball team – you always need to have someone on the bench ready to take action if someone else isn’t available.
  • The most important thing is to figure out what works for you and your business. For example, Jonathan is aware that many of those he hires are just looking for a summer job or a short-time job and he is content with that. However, Tudor prefers to work with the same people for many years.
[00:37:24] Jonathan describes how he deals with customers.

• First, he tells them about the services that they offer and the ones that they don’t.
  • The contracts are for a fixed period of 12 months – this way, he builds a loyal and reliable customer base.
  • One way to put it is that they productize the service. So everything is standardized, same contracts, same services, the only different things are the customers’ names and price.
  • Tudor says that he is trying to move in that direction as well. At the moment, his services are personalized, tailor-made for each customer. Because of this, their services are very expensive compared to other alternatives, so it’s hard to scale over a certain threshold. Tudor agrees that productizing your service is a good approach because it’s cheaper, it appeals to more people and it’s more scalable in the long run.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
We do have timestamps in the show notes, unfortunately, we still have to make them clickable so they actually take you to that point in the podcast. We've had some difficulties with this so far because of the technical solution we're using for the podcast, but we're working on it! At the moment you need to scroll to them.

So do you think that we should add a table of contents or just leave it in the show notes, but make them clickable?
Let me describe it from my perspective, based on my past behaviour. By trying to answer future-looking questions (e.g., "would you like that/use it?"), I'd make some random stuff up to make you or myself feel good. Past behaviours are a far better indicator of what people would actually do/prefer/care about than their declarations, future statements and suggestions.

So I didn't really notice the timestamps. Because I didn't go to your website. I either click on YouTube links (when interested in the video, usually when using my laptop) or go to Spotify (when I want audio only, paused/resumed whenever I want, from my phone sitting in my pocket with the screen switched off). These are my go-to ecosystems that I'm used to, know how to navigate and when they work for me. You're offering a new platform and it didn't even cross my mind to visit it (I did it only now that you've mentioned the timestamps and I can see there's more written content than in the YouTube version).

As you can see, timestamps in Spotify wouldn't be useful. I don't even look at the phone because I use Spotify in the background. It also means that if my activity ends, I stop listening to the thing. That's why I hardly ever finish >1hr shows in one sitting. But at least I can resume where I stopped a day or two later. Still, it's more of an easy-listening mode and I often zone out and miss chunks of lengthy podcasts. It's very likely I missed a lot of what you guys discussed. I'm afraid my past behaviour indicates I won't listen to the same lengthy podcast twice.

When it comes to YouTube, it's a bit different. If I notice the video is long, my eyes and mouse cursor immediately go to the progress bar and look for timestamps with labels. If a video doesn't grab my attention in the first 30 seconds or so, I start looking for the next interesting part of it. If the timestamps aren't there (like in your case), I just jump to random spots to see what else is being discussed. 3-4 clicks without grabbing my attention and I'm out because I didn't find something of interest.

It's important to think about how people get to your episodes and what they're looking for there. Without that context, you can't fully optimise. In your case, I know both you and Johnny from your comments here. I saw this thread, skimmed through (haven't read each and every comment in detail) and when I noticed an episode with another fastlaner I recognise, I thought "nice! let's try this one". I added it to my list for later and listened to it on Spotify during a long journey.

I didn't finish this episode in one go. I also thought "damn, would be great to share some of that with this or that friend... but they wouldn't listen to the whole thing... too bad there are no shorts with single pieces of advice or individual stories (in addition to the whole interview)". Whether this would actually be useful/in demand, I have no idea because it's a future state that's still to be observed out in the wild, right? ;)

Fast forward and here I am sharing my feedback. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I share @Flint ‘s comments. So much of material is now fighting for our attention that long form podcasts for people like me (running a business with employees and all drama, investors, PR, then add family… add hobbies). So I’m opportunistic.
For example, took some time to myself past few weeks, got more into the Fastlane forum here, saw some replies from you and thought “this person is very bright, I can learn from @Black_Dragon43” then saw you had a podcast and listened to the very last episode as I was working out. Missed a bunch, as I got distracted but nonetheless enjoyed it enough to subscribe and watch this thread.

I don’t know the technology or what’s possible for these things. But like @Flint if the episode was fragmented in a way that I could share a 5-15min “idea” with a friend, I’d gladly share it. I can’t share a 1.5hr podcast because my friends will just ignore due to lack of time.

This feedback may be useless if technology doesn’t allow to make it happen. I’m just sharing the “problem” but offer no solution.

curious, do you write any articles on the material you cover on your podcast? Like a 900 word summary of “lessons learned”?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Ideally, you would film it, chop it up into 15+ short little "exchanges" that had the most value, add subtitles, put a title on it and throw it on tik tok, instagram, youtube shorts, etc.

Lookup Brad Lea on IG and copy that style. Ideal for how most people consume content nowadays.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@Black_Dragon43
Got your episode 18 "Mimetic Desire" on my Podcasts and as I was driving listened to 80% of it (as usual at 1.5x speed, you sound very eager at this speed, haha).

Now I have to make a post here, it's very, very good! I want to bump this thread because I think you deliver real value even to seasoned businessmen. Won't spoil it to anyone who's following this thread, just want to say I very much enjoyed it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Was just driving to office and clicked on another podcast #14 Accurate thinking

This is pure gold. You are so good that I’m bumping my audiobooks to listen to your podcast.

Keep it up and thanks!

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
@Black_Dragon43 now that I know you have key takeaways, notes AND transcripts on your website, I don't need my YouTube and Spotify version that much. Great content that I can absorb quickly or stop and ponder over for a while should I wish to. It's also searchable. What's not to like? Thanks!

BTW many of your texts there could become great threads here, too.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Let me describe it from my perspective, based on my past behaviour. By trying to answer future-looking questions (e.g., "would you like that/use it?"), I'd make some random stuff up to make you or myself feel good. Past behaviours are a far better indicator of what people would actually do/prefer/care about than their declarations, future statements and suggestions.

So I didn't really notice the timestamps. Because I didn't go to your website. I either click on YouTube links (when interested in the video, usually when using my laptop) or go to Spotify (when I want audio only, paused/resumed whenever I want, from my phone sitting in my pocket with the screen switched off). These are my go-to ecosystems that I'm used to, know how to navigate and when they work for me. You're offering a new platform and it didn't even cross my mind to visit it (I did it only now that you've mentioned the timestamps and I can see there's more written content than in the YouTube version).

As you can see, timestamps in Spotify wouldn't be useful. I don't even look at the phone because I use Spotify in the background. It also means that if my activity ends, I stop listening to the thing. That's why I hardly ever finish >1hr shows in one sitting. But at least I can resume where I stopped a day or two later. Still, it's more of an easy-listening mode and I often zone out and miss chunks of lengthy podcasts. It's very likely I missed a lot of what you guys discussed. I'm afraid my past behaviour indicates I won't listen to the same lengthy podcast twice.

When it comes to YouTube, it's a bit different. If I notice the video is long, my eyes and mouse cursor immediately go to the progress bar and look for timestamps with labels. If a video doesn't grab my attention in the first 30 seconds or so, I start looking for the next interesting part of it. If the timestamps aren't there (like in your case), I just jump to random spots to see what else is being discussed. 3-4 clicks without grabbing my attention and I'm out because I didn't find something of interest.

It's important to think about how people get to your episodes and what they're looking for there. Without that context, you can't fully optimise. In your case, I know both you and Johnny from your comments here. I saw this thread, skimmed through (haven't read each and every comment in detail) and when I noticed an episode with another fastlaner I recognise, I thought "nice! let's try this one". I added it to my list for later and listened to it on Spotify during a long journey.

I didn't finish this episode in one go. I also thought "damn, would be great to share some of that with this or that friend... but they wouldn't listen to the whole thing... too bad there are no shorts with single pieces of advice or individual stories (in addition to the whole interview)". Whether this would actually be useful/in demand, I have no idea because it's a future state that's still to be observed out in the wild, right? ;)

Fast forward and here I am sharing my feedback. Hope it helps.
Timestamps in the progress bar for YouTube is a fantastic idea, I'll be looking into having my crew add that at some point. On the list I also have clickable timestamps on the website... because I imagine many people browse through the show notes, and may want to skip to a certain section, it's easier to just click the timestamp and it takes you there, than to have to find it by yourself.

Loved that you shared the whole experience here bit by bit, that's really helpful to me and let's me get a better idea of how people use it!

I share @Flint ‘s comments. So much of material is now fighting for our attention that long form podcasts for people like me (running a business with employees and all drama, investors, PR, then add family… add hobbies). So I’m opportunistic.
For example, took some time to myself past few weeks, got more into the Fastlane forum here, saw some replies from you and thought “this person is very bright, I can learn from @Black_Dragon43” then saw you had a podcast and listened to the very last episode as I was working out. Missed a bunch, as I got distracted but nonetheless enjoyed it enough to subscribe and watch this thread.

I don’t know the technology or what’s possible for these things. But like @Flint if the episode was fragmented in a way that I could share a 5-15min “idea” with a friend, I’d gladly share it. I can’t share a 1.5hr podcast because my friends will just ignore due to lack of time.

This feedback may be useless if technology doesn’t allow to make it happen. I’m just sharing the “problem” but offer no solution.

curious, do you write any articles on the material you cover on your podcast? Like a 900 word summary of “lessons learned”?
I will add the "share with a friend" idea to my list. The way I'm imagining this is that you'd have the button somewhere up top, and then when you click it it enables you to share the link, OR share from a specific place. This may be easier to implement once the clickable timestamps come through, because then it's easy to produce links that take to one of the timestamps, and you can just choose from a list and it will copy the right link for you.

Ideally, you would film it, chop it up into 15+ short little "exchanges" that had the most value, add subtitles, put a title on it and throw it on tik tok, instagram, youtube shorts, etc.

Lookup Brad Lea on IG and copy that style. Ideal for how most people consume content nowadays.
Haha, had a look. There is no denying that people, especially young people, love that style of consuming content. However, I'm just not sure it's right for me. I don't really see myself doing that.

Introducing video is an idea that I'm contemplating as well. For the moment, I like the audio-only nature of it, and that you don't need to worry about seeing anything, it's easy and straightforward to record, I can record from anywhere, and it's easy for people to listen to it.

@Black_Dragon43
Got your episode 18 "Mimetic Desire" on my Podcasts and as I was driving listened to 80% of it (as usual at 1.5x speed, you sound very eager at this speed, haha).

Now I have to make a post here, it's very, very good! I want to bump this thread because I think you deliver real value even to seasoned businessmen. Won't spoil it to anyone who's following this thread, just want to say I very much enjoyed it.
@Black_Dragon43 now that I know you have key takeaways, notes AND transcripts on your website, I don't need my YouTube and Spotify version that much. Great content that I can absorb quickly or stop and ponder over for a while should I wish to. It's also searchable. What's not to like? Thanks!

BTW many of your texts there could become great threads here, too.
Love it, really appreciate that you guys are getting a lot of value from it. It really means a lot to me to get positive feedback :smile: One thing that I ask my Discord group, but few people ever got back to me about it, if there are particular areas/topics that you'd love to see my take on, let me know. I have about 6 episodes planned with topics ahead atm, but I'm always looking for new ideas that you'd love to see explored in more detail.

One other thing that I see as a shortcoming of podcasts generally and I want to address with mine is that podcasts normally involve communication between the host and the guest(s), but the audience almost never gets a chance to communicate back. That's why I want to add Q&A Sessions to the podcast. So the week following the one when I release an interview, I plan to host an audio-only Q&A that everyone can take part in via the Discord server. So episode is released, people watch it, 1 week later they can participate in the Q&A with myself and the guest if they're interested. We're doing the first one on August 23rd 18:00 UK Time (got delayed again! - with Oli from Episode 17), in the Q&A Channel under "Voice Channels" in our Discord server.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I’d like to hear your take on “imperfect marketing” by design - as a strategy. Let me clarify, I sometimes do this for our business but fight with my marketing team on the subject. They want a perfect brochure, perfect everything. We deal with few but very big dollar sales per year, so I want our purchaser to feel exclusivity. I don’t want to come off “too polished” and don’t want my material to be that way either. I want it to be imperfect but authentic - this way it’s designed and created just for this one purchaser and this one meeting.

An example: instead of a fully bound brochure, I have the same pages but loose with a paper clip and printed one-sided. In a branded folder with my card in the insert.

In my experience this worked better. Hope the explanation makes sense, the concept here is a little counter intuitive. Authenticity to build trust, exclusivity to build up emotional desire. But if the brochure looks perfect, it looks like I’m widely marketing it and did not prepare it exclusively for this one meeting. I show this to you before your competition because I prefer to deal with you. But you’ll have to put down a number that’s high enough that I don’t put this on the market and we do a deal.
Hence the concept of by design changes to make it “imperfect”.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I’d like to hear your take on “imperfect marketing” by design - as a strategy. Let me clarify, I sometimes do this for our business but fight with my marketing team on the subject. They want a perfect brochure, perfect everything. We deal with few but very big dollar sales per year, so I want our purchaser to feel exclusivity. I don’t want to come off “too polished” and don’t want my material to be that way either. I want it to be imperfect but authentic - this way it’s designed and created just for this one purchaser and this one meeting.

An example: instead of a fully bound brochure, I have the same pages but loose with a paper clip and printed one-sided. In a branded folder with my card in the insert.

In my experience this worked better. Hope the explanation makes sense, the concept here is a little counter intuitive. Authenticity to build trust, exclusivity to build up emotional desire. But if the brochure looks perfect, it looks like I’m widely marketing it and did not prepare it exclusively for this one meeting. I show this to you before your competition because I prefer to deal with you. But you’ll have to put down a number that’s high enough that I don’t put this on the market and we do a deal.
Yes, awesome idea. Really appreciate you sharing this as it's a great topic...

You can go two ways with it, super polished and obviously crafted which showcases strength, but not so much authenticity, or more "shabby" but authentic.

Think about:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1RJTHf5fk&ab_channel=TaiLopez

VS

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020

Interesting. Are you looking into why your team works towards "perfect" or rather why "imperfect" works with the purchaser? Looks like you know the answer to the latter.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
thanks for the engaging reply @Flint

our marketing agency is pretty good. But it takes time to truly understand a client and learn about our business. That’s why I think they being a well rehearsed approach that works for most other clients. Just my assumption.

I’m more looking to test my assumptions. While I’ve been successful in landing sales this way, I wonder - was I right?

let me explain, what if it was some other reason and my “imperfect but authentic” is just something I attributed success to but was wrong.

when @Black_Dragon43 asked for topics, this came to mind as I was literally having a chat with our marketing account manager about this the other day.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
I’m more looking to test my assumptions. While I’ve been successful in landing sales this way, I wonder - was I right?
That's a pretty cool problem to brainstorm. A lot to unpack there.

You may have created so many touchpoints/value triggers with your buyers that it may be difficult to pinpoint a single factor that contributed the most. Would be fun to do some A/B testing, but in the absence of that, here's my stab at it.

Someone, I think it was @Dami-B, shared an HBR article that mentions the pyramid of elements of value. The more switches you flip, the stronger your value proposition.

1628845907423.png

In marketing or sales, in addition to flipping these value switches, we could be poking pain points (what if someone else grabs it, what if the price goes up, what if I have to deal with the old way of doing stuff etc.). Of course, the purpose of it is to elicit emotions and trigger action. A push (away from the negatives) in addition to a pull (towards the positives).

Imagine a similar pyramid/matrix of pain points. You end up with a solid list of variables that you could tweak and test in the field. You could go geeky and design experiments in which you decouple and assess the biggest leverage contributors to your success and optimise your approach in a pretty systematic way without testing them one by one (search for "Design of Experiments DoE" if you're interested). But let's play with what you've got.

I think you may be onto something with the "imperfect" brochure. Whether this is authenticity, I don't know yet. Might be that by providing quick, WIP documents, you sub-communicate multiple things. Like the fact that you haven't finished prepping your materials for the general public, so the opportunity is not widely known yet. Yes, there's an element of exclusivity in seeing something before others. But maybe you've also baked a soft time constraint into this. Like they may notice you're moving fast and you'll have a perfect marketing campaign running soon. The clock is ticking and the window of opportunity may close fast. There may be scarcity, too, if you have no other offers like that. But maybe you're a great salesperson they trust you and your success rate may have more to do with your specific relationship with the purchaser than the look of your materials.

BTW imagine having a perfect brochure for an opportunity you're not fussed about next to an imperfect one that you want to sell. How many pain/value switches would you flip by using contrast?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@Flint
You nailed it: you are sending multiple messages packed into one. Exclusivity, soft time constraint, scarcity etc. You are very astute in your observation that I am attempting to create a little pain too. Just enough to advance action but not so much to be noticeable.

In most cases I don’t yet know the purchaser well, and even if I do the process is the same. I believe people make an emotional decisions, they later justify with logic.

My thinking is mostly from what I “learned on the streets”, experimentation but without scientific research. Please understand that for any sale over $50M I am not leaving it to chance. The brochure is designed perfect and then I go back and add the “imperfections“, if you even can call them that, to send a message. My goal of these meetings is to light up that value pyramid you posted like a Christmas tree. And I want to create some pain points, the brochure is “almost ready and can be quickly shared with the market”. The person seeing it will recognize that if this is work in progress quality, what the hell will they do when they decide to actually put it on the market for all to see?

But you also mentioned that maybe I am just a great salesman. I am charismatic and have been negotiating big number deals for well over a decade with improved results each time. I know I am quite good by now, so the question becomes at what point do I dream up some theory that’s complete bullshit and link it to my success because it feels good to be so smart to come up with theories? Meaning, at what point does my ego start doing all the talking and hurting me in the process?

That’s why I very much appreciate this exchange with you and also look forward to learning more. If my ego takes over, I hope to have someone to correct me.

Lastly, I can’t imagine a situation where I am “not fussed about” an opportunity, as you put it. My obsessive, almost neurotic nature wouldn’t let me, haha.

We are now highjacking @Black_Dragon43 thread! Hopefully it’s a good thing :)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Yes, awesome idea. Really appreciate you sharing this as it's a great topic...

You can go two ways with it, super polished and obviously crafted which showcases strength, but not so much authenticity, or more "shabby" but authentic.

Think about:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1RJTHf5fk&ab_channel=TaiLopez

VS

I had to ponder this before replying.

Unfortunately no, this isn’t a good example because I find Tai Lopez to be both “imperfect by design” and “not authentic” from his smug face :). Something about him just turns me off.

He filmed that video by hand and dressed casually etc. Not a studio production quality, imperfect. Yet I don’t trust him. He’s slick, like a used car salesman.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.