The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting an online service website

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
Hey all,
As the title says, im interested in starting a website that provides a service. I have a breif concept in my head (that still needs lots of fine tuning) and am wondering how to procede - preferably with advice from people who have been-there, done-that.

It will either be subscription based or a one-off fee. Or perhaps $X per lead.

My question is, what is the best way to proceed as I am someone with no web design skills (and no interest in learning it in-depth). Should I find a web designer locally and offer to work together on the project in return for equity, or are souces like elance suitable for this (im worried about getting rubbish code and wasting money - and working with someone so far away).

Also, is there anyone who has done something like this, that will be willing to share a few emails over the next few weeks for any small questions I may have?

I know there are no direct competitors, and the market is quite large. PhxMJ has breifly identified/mentioned the idea has potential in another post so it must be good :rofl:

Thanks,
Matt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Also, is there anyone who has done something like this, that will be willing to share a few emails over the next few weeks for any small questions I may have?

I am actually working on something like this. However, I am a software architect, so I wrote the entire site myself. It's hard for me to hire programmer since I am the only one knows exactly what I want.

If you want to hire freelancer, you better tell them exactly what you need and keep tracking if they did what you need. Many member in this forum are happy with the freelancer their hire. They will be able to give your some tips and tricks about that.

The web site don't have to be perfect. You should put it up as soon as you have sometime working. So you can test the market. Make adjustment accordingly.

My experience is this. If you can think of something very unique and marketable, most likely someone is working on the same thing as well. I was very surprised that how many similar web site I found after I have mime go live. However, most of my competition are piece of crap, but they do make $$$.

So I am learning how to beat them and make my site better than their.

PM me, if you want to contact me offline. Good luck to you!

mobi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Mar 6, 2009
Giles, I suggest you design a prototype on paper (or use a graphic program and lay things out the way it should appear). This is referred to as the "User Interface". Then, use flow charts on how everything should work in the background. This will greatly help the programmer put the site together. You can hire a freelancer using sites like rentacoder, scriptlance, getafreelancer, etc. But before you do, have a clear idea of "how the site" show work. Otherwise, you'll end up with something incomplete and have to hire another programmer, again and again.

If you want you can PM about you site. I may have more suggestions.

terencechang is right ... do a little research on similar sites, there are likely more than you think!

terencechang, can you post or send me the url of your site? Like to take a look!

Best regards,

Doug

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
Thanks for the advice, and the link you your thread makes some really good points andviv.

No doubt I'll be PMing some of you in the future.

If any others want to chime in on the steps to proceed please do so (I'll work on getting detailed designs/descriptions written up).

Thanks again,
Matt

juntao65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 2, 2009
Definitely take the time to draw things out on a graphics program. The learning curve isn't so big and it definitely is worth your time, since what you see is what you get.

When we did our site, I tried to draw out every single webpage (a lot) I could think of. You have to be specific, lay it out in baby steps and go from there. Every now and then you get a programmer who uses their own judgement (we got very lucky), but there are others out there who don't think twice and just do things even if it logically doesn't make sense.

Drop me a PM if you need any more help.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Definitely take the time to draw things out on a graphics program.
Although the general advice is right on target (drawing the pages, rep++ juntao), I strongly recommend you DO NOT use a graphics program unless you really know how to use it.

These programs (and any program, if you think about it) limit your options.

Take a blank sheet of paper and draw it by hand. Enjoy the freedom that pen and paper provides... and then, once all of them are ready, go put them in digital format. Or not. In many cases I ask our clients to just scan and email me their notes, or fax them.

Same thing with the workflow diagrams. It is nice to draw them digitally (Visio is commonly used, for example) but it is not required to do it that way. If you don't know how to use it then you can just draw them on paper. If needed, find a VA and hire them (maybe paying $10/hr) to translate those hand drawings to digital format.

But, no matter the format you decide to use, it is great advice. Drawing them will give you more details and will help you and your developers to have a clearer understanding of what's needed.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Take a blank sheet of paper and draw it by hand. Enjoy the freedom that pen and paper provides...

IMHO, this transcends just about anything. The mind/freehand "connection" is one of the least understood, yet most powerful connections there are. Speed++

Exact

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 3, 2009
Giles,

I have been involved in the creation of many service-based web sites. I am currently part owner in a company that develops web sites (don't worry, I'm not trying to sell my services here.) At any rate, I think you should sit down and try to draw out what each screen will look like. The more specific you can get, the better. Then you should work with others -- and possibly your developer -- to smooth out the user interface. Once you have spent a good amount of time on the design then it is time to start programming. Ideally the developer you hire should have a good project manager or other such person who can help you design your web site. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
E

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.