The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a Sunglass Company

jeremy doddridge

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 16, 2014
Hey everyone! I have a question. I have an idea for a sunglass brand. I want to create this business. I have the name and entire business plan down, I just cannot find anywhere to have them made. I have been searching google for a couple of months now, looking for a manufacturer/supplier that will allow me to have my logo on the sides of the frames. Ideally id like it to not be just printed on, but instead be a different piece, like ray bans have their name on the sides.

I have searched for private labeling companies, but have had a lot of trouble finding any reliable ones that are not sketchy or scams. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
alibaba..

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
One thing I'd like to mention, the sunglasses industry is a very competitive space...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What's the proposed name? God I hope it isn't 9.

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I understand this, but we have a solid plan of action.Anyone?
Is there a reason you want to manufacture them in the states and not china, Bangladesh, India, etc.?

If quality is a concern for you, there are excellent manufacturers overseas in china, India, etc.

jeremy doddridge

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 16, 2014
Is there a reason you want to manufacture them in the states and not china, Bangladesh, India, etc.?

If quality is a concern for you, there are excellent manufacturers overseas in china, India, etc.
Quality is definitely the main concern. I would feel better having them made here, and it would allow for faster shipping as well. So my first choice would be here, but I am definitely open to others as well. Just need to find somewhere to get them made.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I have been searching google for a couple of months now, looking for a manufacturer/supplier that will allow me to have my logo on the sides of the frames.
If this basic task takes you months when it should take hours, you shouldn't start a business yet.

G

Guest24480

Oh is that right? Thats pretty interesting. Lets see you find any legit ones in the US that private label. You're just so helpful.
I'm no importing expert, but think about it this way.

Yes, on smaller orders at first you'll save money by just buying from the U.S. But as order sizes get bigger and bigger, the shipping costs from China are going to matter less and less.

Say you order a sample to test out the quality. Yes, they're going to screw you with the shipping on that. But once you're ordering your product in more of a bulk after you're established it won't matter as much in a relative sense (assuming you get this far).

jeremy doddridge

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 16, 2014
I'm no importing expert, but think about it this way.

Yes, on smaller orders at first you'll save money by just buying from the U.S. But as order sizes get bigger and bigger, the shipping costs from China are going to matter less and less.

Say you order a sample to test out the quality. Yes, they're going to screw you with the shipping on that. But once you're ordering your product in more of a bulk after you're established it won't matter as much in a relative sense (assuming you get this far).
I understand that. I know of websites that will customize sunglasses and hats and shirts and what not, and I could go that route, but Id rather find an actual supplier/manufacturer that will be able to do more.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Alibaba.

Be aware, you'll need a crazy shitload of money, MOQ's for sunglasses are always around 500-1000 units for each design/color, and if you want to go for quality, your unit price won't be that low. And this is China, on US will always be more expensive IMO.

Be carefull with fake UV protections, buy a UV tester machine (costs 30-40$ on aliexpress) to test the samples. Also, always discuss quality control, you don't want to get 40% of your products with scratches on the lenses (yep, that happened).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You are private labeling, so you will basically sell the same sunglasses as everybody else, but you want your logo on the sides of them? So are you looking to make your logo out of some material and have them attached to the frame or sides? The lenses and frame will be stock?

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Currently in Calgary/Kelowna
I understand that. I know of websites that will customize sunglasses and hats and shirts and what not, and I could go that route, but Id rather find an actual supplier/manufacturer that will be able to do more.

Why not use one of those websites that offer the style you want etc. Put your logo on it. And then try and SELL your product. If it sells it will be easy to get financing and find a manufacturer anywhere in the world.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.