The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a social network site

Destined

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 12, 2011
Hi fastlaners,

I have been researching and thinking of starting a social network site for a very popular
niche that spends million if not billion dollars a year. This niche is kinda like the home improvement niche.
People will always spend money and the interest is always there.

Need- Yes, there is a need for this niche, people are always asking questions and demand help
Entry- I plan on buying a social networking script and I suppose others can too. The domain name I want is still there and I plan to network with quite a few people in this niche. I will try to be exceptional!!!!
Control- I will have total control of this project, I will own the site
Scale - My goal is grow my social network site to 100k+ and maybe a mill users
Time- I will spend a good 3-6 hours a day working this business

My long term goal is to grow this site to 100,000- 1+ mill users and sell it.
I'm thinking of ways to monetize this site, possibly running a classified ads section. Possibly running banner ads, maybe become an affiliate and offer product. Any more ideas on how I could monetize this site?

Do you guys/gals think its a good idea or a poor one? I like this idea because the market/niche is always spending money and these types of people could definitely network with eachother.

Any suggestion/advice is much appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tekcraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
Entry- I plan on buying a social networking script and I suppose others can too. The domain name I want is still there and I plan to network with quite a few people in this niche. I will try to be exceptional!!!!

You might want to check out some open source platforms for creating a social network site. I've played around with elgg (elgg.org) it looks pretty good but I'm sure there are others.

Your biggest challenge is going to be marketing. It will be tough to get people joining a network that at first doesn't have many people. One of the strategies I heard someone use for a dating site is to "seed" the network by going out to clubs and getting people signed up in person. This may not work for your niche, but just an idea to get things rolling.

To answer your last question, is this a good idea? Maybe... As long as you see a need for what you are offering, and there is enough of an advantage over the (HUGE) alternative social sites out there. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should... Maybe try a small adwords campaign with a squeeze page to get people signed up which you would use to basically gauge interest. You do have to spend a bit of money, but you don't have to build out an entire site until you have some proof of "concept"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.