The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a PC Repair Business

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
My college roommate is extremely talented when it comes to repairing computers and he's looking for a way to make some extra cash this summer. I offered to partner with him on a PC Repair Business Venture. I know this is definitely not fastlane, but some extra income for both of us could be helpful with rent and food.

I'm taking care of the business side of things (accounting/marketing) and he's going to actually be performing the services. But I have a few questions about how I should go about executing this plan.

1.) The business will be driven by home appointments. I am going to be responsible for making these appointments but I want to avoid creating a job for myself. Is there a way I can set up an automated phone service to take these appointments?

2.) Marketing is a huge issue since we don't have a large budget. I'm thinking that printing fliers and dropping them off at houses throughout the village we live in is a low cost way to hit a large amount of potential customers.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
As for creating appointments... create a simple website. Should have all your service info, and have the ability to setup appointments. The only thing at this point you would have going for you is personal service... sooo I wouldn't take that out of the equation this early. You obviously said you know it's not fastlane... so don't treat it that way.

Quality in the services and personal service is what you'll have to push in the beginning. Maybe automate the appointments later after you have a customer base... or maybe funnel your existing customers that way only.

As for marketing.... I'm still in that learning game too... so I can't help there.

Forbes

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 3, 2010
1. Outsource your customer service who will make appointments. buy an 800 number
2. Advertising online is free. target your local community.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
i don't care too much for these advices given.

forget the website, you are going for the local market.
forget outsourcing your customer service
and forget the 4 hr work week.

find all organizations that target senior citizens, start there, they older the crowd, the happier they will be to have someone fix their computers if they don't have a child or grand child that can do it, work your way down from there. 70's, 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's.

make flyers, pass it out, introduce yourself, build rep, get know by word of mouth.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
There's nothing wrong with having a website, even if your main target is going to be that old. Thing is, a simple website is cheap, or entirely free depending on how you go about it. Aside from that, it's informative and can be easily looked up once someone knows the address.

I'll tell you this much. Malware removal, backups, and reinstalling are easiest done at home, where you can multi-task (or in the case of malware, plug the hard drive directly into a test machine... That's about a thousand times easier than trying to clean it on the same computer.)

1: For now you probably will just be creating a job. Removing yourself from the proccess means giving someone else a job to manage scheduling and appointments, right? It doesn't seem to me like you have the man power available for someone to call in and say "I need someone on Monday after 6."

2: Ok, go for it. Don't forget to check craigslist and kijiji for local listings (check other nearby locations if they don't, people might be viewing/posting at the closest listing that appears).. And you can post there for free.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
I've done some PC Repair businesses.

You need to be a salesman and find clients. I used to walk the streets all day long to drop flyers. I would say that you would get 1 lead per around 600 flyers that you pass out. You need to make sure that your marketing is consistent. There are alot of ways to get your name out there. The best way to split up the work for you and your partner is for him to do the technical work and you find the clients full time. just concentrate on hitting up homes and businesses. scope out your competition.

(dont know if this is allowed) There is a useful message boards that I used to go to for information Resource for Computer Repair Technicians to Start or Improve their Computer Business - Technibble - check that out and it will give you a good idea of what to do for marketing.

Deege

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 12, 2008
I did the same thing for a couple years on a low scale. It has real potential though! Congrats on starting the venture.

To start, your gonna wanna get your name out there, flyers, possibly a quick website set up should get you going.

One thing i noticed while trying out this venture for my self is that "hear-say" is very vital and good for your business, encourage each and every customer to SPREAD THE WORD!

Last but not least, Good Luck!
Let your ambitions carry you far. :)

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Hmm, ok, first, please don't take anything I'm about to say as negative or critical, just a few things to consider.

1) How saturated (or not) is this service market in your area?

2) How will you be "better" than others offering similar service?

3) How competent is your technician friend?

4) Have you taken liability insurance into account?

5) Can you get a reseller account through a major parts distributor near you, so when you have to replace parts you can source them yourself?

brewer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 15, 2010
Peoria, AZ
Have you thought about offering a free 1 hour class for seniors? Show them the basics of email, facebook and blog spot? Gets your name out there and helps create a positive image for your company

Maybe consider partnering with a local mail and ship store? They usually have a lot of foot traffic and can help spread the word. Throw them a percentage of every referral and maybe use it as a drop off point for customers machines?

Good luck

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.