The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a business questions...

lucas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 7, 2007
How you file taxes depends on which entity type your business is (sole proprietorship, llc, s-corp, c-corp, etc).

If you decide to shut down your business you will have to notify the state you live in (usually the secretary of state) as well as the IRS. There are specific documents you have to file.

Once a business entity selection is made, you can't change it. You have to make a new company and dissolve the old one to change your entity type.

If you move to a different county it's no big deal, but if you move to a different state it's different. You can either register the company to operate in the new state (as a foreign business), or you can dissolve the old company and reregister as a new one. The latter method is recommended, because for purposes of taxes and legal matters, you would have to have an accountant/lawyer familiar with your old state as well as the new one if you use the former method.

Walley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Oct 1, 2007
How do I file for taxes for my business at begining of the year?

If I decide to quit my business can I just simply quit?

If I go with sole proprietor can I simply change it to llc later?

What happens if I move to a different county or state..do I have to reregister it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 24, 2007
Utah
You definitely can't just quit... I tried that once and got stuck with penalties and interest on the penalties. Maybe there was even interest on the interest... I don't know.

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007
I don't see why you cannot setup an LLC down the road.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
Once a business entity selection is made, you can't change it. You have to make a new company and dissolve the old one to change your entity type.

This is an inaccurate generalization. For the most part, switching between entities can be done. There is a process involved, but it is possible.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
This is an inaccurate generalization. For the most part, switching between entities can be done. There is a process involved, but it is possible.

I concur, North Carolina made it very easy for us to switch from a sole proprietorship to LLC. Just needed to get federal tax ID, fill out some forms, and cut a check.

Tom
www.aptohosting.com

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.