The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a Business on a Student Visa (F-1)

LZisme

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 27, 2021
Hey there fastlaners,

I am an exchange student currently on a one-semester exchange program in the United States. I'm currently puzzled on the legality of an F-1 Visa holder such as myself operating a business in the states. My own limited research taught me of OPTs and H1-B programs which permit working and or having a business. However as I am not an undergraduate student or have studied in the US for a year (which I believe is the prerequisite for applying for an OPT and H1-B), the only option which I am left with is somehow being engaged in my business in a way that is "passive" as outlined in this article : F-1 Visa Start-Up Activities | Offit Kurman

The article says that I may engage in the following activities without violating my F-1 Visa:
  • activities that aren’t considered employment e.g. taking orders for goods produced overseas;
  • negotiating contracts;
  • consulting with your business associates;
  • litigating;
  • taking part in conferences or seminars that are scientific, educational, professional, or business related;
  • undertaking independent research;
  • membership of a U.S. company’s board of directors;
  • seeking to invest in the U.S., which would qualify for E-2 investor status.
As such, I am wondering if the above is enough and if it is possible for me to run a business while only having an F-1 Visa. Thank you in advance for all the insight and advice you may have for me!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.