The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a Bank

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I stumbled upon this blog article by the guy who made Wordpress. I did a few searches but I couldn't find any information on this forum about starting a bank. Every state has its own regulations and it would certainly be a difficult start-up, but what do you think about the possibilities of starting a bank?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
Well... hmmmm if you start a bank.. I want to be your friend! LOL You could buy government backed loans! I really want to be your friend! LOL

God

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 7, 2009
Start-up cost for setting up a bank is between 5-20 mil $. In some third world countries the entrance fee is as low as 2 mil$.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Startup costs differ very much depending on what you want to accomplish with the bank.

Startup costs are high though. Very much of the startup cost stems from the license itself which is expensive. It takes a while to recieve that license as well.

In general: finance and banking business is both expensive and takes a long time to put together. A lot of regulations involved. Import businesses are faster and easier to put together. Not nearly as many regulations.

If you start a bank, then PM me as well. I might be interested in buying a piece of the first private placement. Subject to a strong board of directors:).

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
Maybe talk to anyone on the board of a small bank.. and by small I mean, they have one or two branches.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Maybe talk to anyone on the board of a small bank.. and by small I mean, they have one or two branches.

That's what I'm thinking. My hypothetical idea is a bank like ING Direct, which would be 100% online. Would that still cost $2 million in licenses? I'm surprised this idea hasn't been discussed yet on the Fastlane forums. I like the idea about a "non-corporate," technology friendly online bank. A bank that doesn't issue bonuses to its executives is rebellious to its industry, but its rebellious in a Richard Branson kind of way which would attract customers.

EDIT: I also just found this tutorial. It may over simplify the process, but its interesting.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I have some friends opening a bank in NC and they had to capitalize the bank with $12m (not 100% sure on the exact figure but is in the ballpark). there is a huge amount of regulation involved in this and they have been in process of opening the bank for going on 2 years now. I am sure there is significant benefit to being a bank owner, but it is certainly not for the faint of heart. If you want to be connected to my friend, I am sure he would be happy to chat with you. Feel free to send me a message. my email is bobby@globalwealthprotection.com

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.