The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Start With WHY

Tarma

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 2, 2017
Italy
People don't buy WHAT you do they buy WHY you do it.

I read the book. I must confess I believe this statement, but I'm not sure about little new businesses and I have little experience.

I'd be very curious what the more experienced entrepreneurs on here think about this.

Simon Sinek's TED Talk:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
I did not read the book, but I did watch the TED talk a few times over the past years.

The feeling I always get is that he picks his data to fit his story. People don't buy why you do something, why you do anything is irrelevant, people buy to satisfy their needs. They buy perceived value. And due to excellent marketing and good value for money products, companies like Apple do very well.

The "Why" can help craft an excellent marketing story that helps increase perceived value. It may help establish a brand identity that people may want to identify with. But the perceived value is why they fork over the money in the first place.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I created a similar thread here: "Start With Why" + "Fastlane"

I think if the "WHY" is important to you, then it is important, if only to keep you working on the project. If customers know you care, that probably helps, too.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
People may not specifically buy a business-person's 'why' when they purchase our product/service; however, the 'why' we do it may be what helps us craft the purpose-driven/value-focused product/service for that customer, this 'why' can also be the determining factor of winning or losing as a business-person.

A lot of us began our businesses with our 'why' being that we wanted to be wealthy and retire young and it mostly focused on what 'we' wanted and little to do with what our customers needed; however, by learning a lot more through the books and changing our mindsets, we are managing to build valuable businesses by placing the customers' needs first, recognising that when we excel at this, we are rewarded with profits and the likes in the long-run.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tarma

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 2, 2017
Italy
I created a similar thread here: "Start With Why" + "Fastlane"

I think if the "WHY" is important to you, then it is important, if only to keep you working on the project. If customers know you care, that probably helps, too.

Argh, damn it, I missed the thread. My Slowlane Instant Gratification System kicked in for a sec, I guess. :rofl: Sorry about that!

If you guys think this is going to be redundant, I'll delete it, just let me know.

People may not specifically buy a business-person's 'why' when they purchase our product/service; however, the 'why' we do it may be what helps us craft the purpose-driven/value-focused product/service for that customer, this 'why' can also be the determining factor of winning or losing as a business-person.

I see your point, that's very interesting. Basically a WHY could be more important to us rather than to our client (which in turn means better products and services).

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.