• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Start a global business?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by michael515, Dec 19, 2007.

1. michael515

michael515 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $327
    Has anyone here ever thought about starting an international/global business? (Or at a minimum a business that after started in America, will be able to be expanded globally) Let's assume primarily e-biz as it seems most viable.

I ask as I'm reading "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman (excellent book btw), my belief rises that we continue to move into a global economy. Call me paranoid but I believe that if we as entrepreneurs don't look global we should have a bit of fear about the future.

It can be argued that America is the strongest economy but if so, IMO, we won't be forever. Why not hedge our risk and potential for success by looking to other countries for outsourcing our work or i.e. selling products/services via the web to other countries?

I cannot help but look at most other countries as a less competitive market than the US. (I could be wrong there) I see obvious hurdles: learning a language or getting a language converting program, learning the market and the psychographics of the inhabitants of that location, and learning the rules of international trade/business with that country. But beyond that why not?

2. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $44,582
    Without going into too much detail, both Internationalizing and Localizing technology products can be very difficult things to do (I've done this with consumer electronics, consumer software, and ecommerce).

My biggest piece of advice (from experience) is to build the company with International markets in mind; instead of building a U.S. centric product, ensure that your product is built with both Internationalization and Localization in mind from the beginning. The companies I've done that with who have done ground-up design with International markets in mind have been the ones that have succeeded.

Also, make sure to hire people with expertise in each of the markets you're looking to enter. Localization of products takes a lot more than a knowledge of U.S. based designs and customs combined with common-sense (though common-sense would say otherwise :)).

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.