• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

RANT Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by Richie Rich, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Richie Rich

Richie Rich Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $469
    I know this is way off topic for the Fastlane Forum, but I'm curious to see if anyone has seen The Last Jedi? I went with my nephews (who are in their late teens/early 20s) and I hated it. I won't post any details/spoilers here, but it was just awful. If you thought The Force Awakens was bad, boy are you in for a surprise! It's like The Last Jedi heard all the hate for The Force Awakens and uttered that classic meme line: Hold My Beer; It's that bad. The following are bad and/or sucked: storytelling, acting, directing, writing, pacing, throwaway characters, no plot, no character development, runtime was way too long and the list goes on and on. I know you're supposed to go into movies with the attitude of suspension of disbelief, but it doesn't work here. When it was over and I walked out of the theater, I felt cheated and gained no value from what I watched. I know movies are an escape/time-passer/time-waster, but at least have a meaning, a message that resonates with the viewer; but this left me numb and empty. For those who have seen it, you know what I'm talking about. After seeing this dumpster fire of a movie, the Prequels look like Citizen Kane. I don't understand Disney, but I guess they aren't making movies for my generation, but rather, the millennial generation (no offense to millennials), so maybe they can appreciate this better than Generation X can. I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I felt like I should give anyone thinking of going or who are going to see it a heads up. Be prepared. Who knows? You may enjoy it. I sure didn't and if you read the audience reviews on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, you'll see that I'm not alone in my disdain for this cash grab of a movie. Once you see it, hopefully, you'll understand why. I won't be seeing any more Disney offerings of Star Wars. For me, the original saga (Episodes I-VI) are the only ones that matter (Under the 20th Century Fox banner, which, ironically, Disney now owns). The Jedi are extinct. Their light has gone out of the universe. :(

MJ DeMarco, Brad S, MikeC and 4 others like this.
  2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $396,459
    Admin Post
    Yes, saw it on Thursday in IMAX. I actually liked it better than the prior 2 Disney ones (which is like saying I like solid shit versus diarrhea), but also wasn't very impressed. The folks at Disney pretty much know there is so much goodwill locked into the franchise that they can put out absolute junk, and still get away with it.

My positive thoughts...

-- Thought the special effects were good.
    -- I enjoyed the comedic interjections
    -- It's always nice to relive the nostalgia...

• Horrific acting, based on a horrific script. (I thought the comedy interjects were the only things that worked.)
    • Once again, recycled plot lines and themes... we have to deactivate the shield generator! We have to deactivate the light speed detector! The [enter anything here], you will turn to the dark side! I know I can turn you! (Are there any writers at Disney who can think of anything original?)
    • Lack of fight scenes with light sabers...
    • There are numerous hidden political agendas and subliminal messaging in it which I found distracting. (And I both agreed/disagreed with some of them, but there were so many I was like, "Oh cmon, let it go already!") And yes, no Disney movie would ever be complete without the "evil rich guy" archetype thrown in there, and yes, they even managed to do it here.
    • It's like it's made for 10 year old boys who don't know that you can't survive being "spaced", even if you have Jedi powers.
    • The star destroyers can't catch up to us! Really, why not just go to light speed for .0000000001 seconds and catch up? The entire "we can outrun them for 4 days" was a horrific plot line in which to carry the movie. Why not just send an entire fleet of Tie Fighters to the cruiser and blow 'em up piece by piece? Nope, that means you're watching with a logical brain.
    • Let's hide on this planet that just happens to be in the neighborhood, but NO, the empire won't detect us! Right?
    • Star Trek tries to be intellectually honest with their technological extrapolations -- Star Wars totally ignores them. And it's just downright frustrating.

GPM, SputnicK, Deceiver and 7 others like this.
  3. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $39,453
    I boycott Disney, so not ever going to see it.

And now they're gonna own Deadpool too. Gah, I'm sure they'll wreck that as well.

Disney sucks.

SputnicK, ChrisR, LeoistheSun and 7 others like this.
  4. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Call it. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,685
    Only positive I see is that Disney now owns Fantastic Four. But... If it is any indication on how they are treating Star Wars now. It will not be better than anything Fox produced. :( :( :(

Richie Rich likes this.
  5. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,589
    Idk what else you expected. Disney is where good franchises go to die a dishonorable death.

6. tiagosoares17.22

tiagosoares17.22 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $703
    We totally disagree on this.

I think the story development was on point. Clearly a masterpiece of story development that only a few companies like Pixar and Disney are able to create (so often).

Is a fantastic movie? Probably not.
    Does it have great story development that catches people attention? Hell yes!

Maybe you are coming from a position of this is losing the spark, it's not the same anymore, etc, therefore you don't enjoy it that much.

Star Wars is mainly about the Hero Journey, and they were on point on that one.

7. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $186,011
    Here are my rants on stupid things from the movie.

1) There's no gravity in space, but the bombers were in orbit of a planet, so I'll give them that one. But really, who uses weapons that need gravity in space?
    2) It was cringe worthy to see the ships shooting long distance shots that had an arc. Umm, long distance bombs don't curve in space.
    3) Finn is flying as fast as possible to hit the big cannon. The asian girl in the same model ship pulls off, turns around, then sees that he keeps going, so she turns around in a big arc and rams him from the side. Finn must have had the slowest ship ever.
    4) And yeah, floating around in space for a few minutes, don't freeze up instantly
    5) Last scene, thought it was going to be a Hoth Empire rip off. But wait, it wasn't snow, it was salt.
    6) Red dudes were actually pretty cool
    7) Snoke, he could sense everything except when someone aims a gun at his head (metaphorically)
    8) Thought the silver stormtrooper was a girl. Guess he had the worst voice projecting box ever.
    9) They could have turned around one of the smaller ships and lightspeeded it into the fleet. Gee anyone think of that?
    10) Or why didn't they just fly in different directions? Lightspeed in different directions?
    11) They always need someone to stay behind to pilot the ship. They don't have autopilot in Star Wars world.
    12) Did you see the Millennium Falcon literally drop out of hyperspace, drop off Rae like 1000 ft away from the main star destroyer and go back into hyperspace in less than 2 seconds. They could just do that, take a few shots at the destroyer hyperspace away all day.
    13) Dude, why didn't you just put a bomb in Rae's capsule. Is it that easy to get something onto a Star Destroyer?
    14) And damn if you can just shoot the ship's main bridge with a tie fighter, why don't they just do that all the time? Kylo was like, nah that's just too easy and the other tie fighters were like fire away, bye!
    15) This is the first star wars that actually showed that they had shields on their ships.
    16) Had to add this after I read it from somewhere. Luke hides himself in the hardest place to find in the universe... which happens to also be the original Jedi temple. Seems like an obvious place to look first.
    17) And as MJ posted about the chase. Literally was like the police chasing OJ. I mean doesn’t the empire have back up? Call a couple ships? No, let’s just chase them till they run out of gas. Dragged on as long as the fast and furious runway scene.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    SputnicK, Kid, Deceiver and 12 others like this.
  8. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $186,011
    I think it's more coming from the point of that they can't think of new things to do. I'm all for some good regurgitation of some stuff, but some things just get played out.

Can the Millennium Falcon outrun more tie fighters in underground caverns or canyons? When did it become such a great ship that it can take on 30 tie fighters all by itself.

Why does the Empire always drop the AT-AT so far away from the rebel base?

9. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,677
    Pretty disappointed at how Luke was handled. At least they brought back the fantastic musical themes from the original trilogy.

My favorite part was hearing these familiar sounds.

Richie Rich likes this.
  10. juggler619

juggler619 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,202
    This movie did nothing but zig and zag. The whole movie I was wishing I could fast-forward through Rose and Finn's pointless story-line to get back to Kylo and Rey. Finn and Rose actually didn't achieve anything in the film apart from getting a lot of resistance people killed.

On the other hand,

Light speed kamikaze ram was just awesome! That silence was a master stroke!
    Kylo and Rey fight with the red guys was cool too!

ZF Lee, Scot and Richie Rich like this.
  11. Richie Rich

Richie Rich Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $469
    This was my biggest gripe. That hurt to watch him die so pathetically, rather than a hero's death, an honorable death that made sense in the scheme of the Saga. I figured they were going to kill him off in this one, thus the title "The Last Jedi", but the way it was done was so weak. I know he was older, but this was the guy who took on Vader twice, got his a$$ handed to him the first time in Empire and then returned the favor in Return of the Jedi, nearly killing his father. Then he gives the figurative bird to the Emperor by tossing his lightsaber aside and telling him "I am a Jedi, like my father before me. You've failed, your Highness". Granted, if it hadn't been for Vader going back to the light and tossing Palpatine into the reactor, Luke's a$$ was grass. To go from that to this weak, aloof and grumpy old man, it didn't vibe. If Luke had faced down Kylo Ren one on one (for real, not Jedi mind projection across the galaxy) and died the way Qui Gon Jinn died by Maul's lightsaber straight through him combined with the way Obi-Wan Kenobi died fighting Vader by vanishing/becoming one with the Force, that would have more than made up for the mess this movie was.

Finn's character was wasted in this one, as that backstory could be removed and the movie still works out the same way. The lightspeed kamikaze was epic. And the silence, letting the moment wash over the audience, that I have to give a nod to. And the red Praetorian guard (I think that's what their known as, an evolution of the Emperor's Royal Guard), those dudes were badass. If you look up Star Wars theory on YouTube, the Royal Guard/Praetorian Guard are some hardcore warriors, trained to be nearly as lethal as Sith, minus the ability to use the Force, unless some have hints of Force sensitivity, but nothing that would qualify them to be Sith.

I know, I'm a Star Wars nerd/geek/fan, but this stuff means a lot to me, as it's our mythology, and I, along with many other fans, wish to see it handled carefully and done right. And they dropped the ball with this one.

12. juggler619

juggler619 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,202
    Totally agree,

[​IMG]

Scot likes this.
  13. Greg R

Greg R Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,783
  14. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $51,648
    Woah woah woah! Don't compare Star Wars drivel to my award worthy Fast and Furious movies! :clench:

Ninjakid likes this.
  15. Evil_Jester

Evil_Jester Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,709
    It was boring and forgettable like the last two movies

ZF Lee likes this.
  16. DannyD

DannyD Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $517
    Haven't read this thread (have yet to see the movie) but would be awesome if the title were renamed "Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion" or something like that...

Scot and Richie Rich like this.
  17. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $396,459
    Admin Post
    We can agree to disagree.

Not sure what movie you watched, but the only deep-level "story development" was last done by George Lucas. Disney is simply leveraging and tapping-into what was already done by more competent story tellers. These stories (New Hope Part 2 / Return of the Jedi/Empire Part 2) are plot retreads.

Again, not sure what movie you watched but no Star Wars movie will EVER need to capture people's attention. It's freaking Star Wars -- that alone is attention grabbing. The script was dreadful and perhaps I see it over the Average Joe because I have screenwriting aspirations.

Yea, anyone who likes to keep movies intellectually honest within the realm of it's mythology will find this just frustrating as f*ck. Star Trek tries to do this. Star Wars completely doesn't care about science and apparently believes science fiction is about gravity in space, surviving science without any protection, etc. ... it's not science-fiction, it's science-ridiculous.

18. Richie Rich

Rep Bank:
    $469
    Done. I should have named the thread title what you mentioned to begin with. I let my emotions and personal opinion of the movie color my thread title creation. Sorry about that, as your title is much better, thanks for suggesting it, hope you don't mind that I used it. :thumbsup:

DannyD likes this.
  19. DavidK

DavidK Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $553
    Until people start voting with their wallets I am sure the general trend of shallow but beautiful blockbuster movies will continue. Last Jedi had 2nd highest opened weekend ever with $220M, what motivation is there to change from a business perspective? On the other hand, two movies I recently found to be great (Lost City of Z, and Blade Runner) for being more atmospheric will longer scenes and slower pacing, both failed at the box office.

LeoistheSun likes this.
  20. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,468
    Must be banking royalty coins from that film appearance at the tree-burning scene hahaha.

I came out of there feeling bland....it's not a show that I REALLY had to see....
    But well, invitations from friends lol....

I didn't take too kindly at the political and anti-business parts, especially the part when the code-breaker who ditched Rose and Finn to be rewarded massively for the intel on the Rebel fleet.

Sure, that act was wrong. But that was his work. He has to do what his work demands of, or the market. There was a clear market need for weapons, intel and ships. And they were selling those things to both good and bad side. While, yes, that may be profiteering, but not everyone sells stuff to get rich.

To think of it, the weapons industries would have provided lots of jobs, opened up other supporting industries and made planets prosperous as well. And probably kept the galaxy in decent order while both the Rebels and the First Order ravaged each other to no end...

In the real world, some industrial processes and inventions such as nuclear power, the Haber process and pilot communications came from war industries, regardless which side won or was in the right. We have to give credit to those who 'stayed in the middle' and still continued some innovation.

Sometimes, the best way to win (or survive) is to not play the game, as the movie WarGames claims.

Richie Rich likes this.
  21. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $56,172
    Here are my thoughts on this. I’m sure by now people realize this thread is full of spoilers. But, warning, spoilers.

In honor of festivus, I air my grievances (or Grievouses.. get it? General Grievous?)

1. Who the hell os Snoke? They did not answer this question at all. You have a guy who’s using force powers that are on par with Old Republic Force strength, like creating the psychic bridge and being able to use telekinesis so finely. But he forgets there’s a freaking lightsaber next to him and he just dies? Sith Lords don’t just fall out of the sky, so where was this dude the whole Original Trilogy? No mention of him from Sidious, but a guy who’s potentially stronger than him just happens to show up?
    2. Which leads to my second point, how did we go from the Republic/Rebellion having a major victory at the end of ROTJ, then going down to 400 people in 3 ships? Where the hell did the First Order come from? I feel like explaining this bridge between ROTJ and FA needs to be explained.
    3. As @biophase pointed out, holy physics Batman. Arched laser shots? Really? “Dropping” bombs? Ffs, we’ve seen B wings bombing star destroyers in previous source material and it looked NOTHING like the space B-52’s in this movie.
    4. How did we go from the Empire that conquered a whole galaxy with competent military leadership to Hux being a 35 year old whiny ginger who didn’t think to just lightspeed jump ahead of the cruiser? Again, source material, Vader literally does this to Leia’s ship.
    5. Fin and Rose’s casino sub plot. No. Just. No. Also, really, were putting a trope about war profiteering in here?
    6. Phasma. Ugh. The writers literally promised they were giving her (yes her) more screen time, more hashed our story, in this movie after she got shafted in FA. Nope. She gets like, 5 seconds more screen time (gets called “chrome dome”, cringe) and then dies.
    7. The porgs. Could Disney have made it any more obvious they were injected into the film only to sell toys? Completely disregarding their physiology would make them unable to actually fly.... Did the animators forget to finish their final texture layer? They looked like someone pasted half finished cartoons into a live action movie... too many times. I’m glad Chewie killed some and ate them.
    8. Rey’s parent are no one. WHAT. THE. F@&$. So...... she was drawn by the force to Luke’s lost lightsaber, has flashbacks of memories of her being left on the planet by OBI-WAN, and the force link between her and Kylo. I get that Snope says he did it on puprose, but that’s crap because Luke and Leia do it too, which alludes it’s a connection between family. I get that Rey being Kylo’s brother is way too obvious, but come on!!
    9. Angsty Luke. First can we talk about how being a Force user is supposed to make you live longer, ie Yoda being over 900, and move Jedi Masters pushing well over 100 years old. But Luke is like, 50 and looks like this? Also, he creates an astral projection that subsequently kills him? Seriously? He’s touted as one of the most powerful Jedi in the current age and that killed him??
    10. Luke says he wanted to go to the island to die. But he leaves a map. So the rebellion could find him. If they found the missing piece. What..?
    I just hate that they completely disregarded existing canon when they made this movie. I can forgive them for taking the plot in a different direction than I wanted, but I can’t fogive them for simply forgetting the past 6 movies. Also, this was like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 where there was just so much forced humor. Since when was Star Wars a damn comedy?

I’ll continue to watch new Star Wars movies, but I put this one on the level as Phantom Menace. As mentioned above, I’m a nerd. Star Wars is a religion to me. Not cool Disney.

Brad S, Deceiver, TheCj and 5 others like this.
  22. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $396,459
    Admin Post
    And therein lies the problem. I will too continue to watch, no matter what. Disney knows no matter how bad (or good) the movie is, it will make gazillions at the box office.

There's another take I have that I found irritating as well, not just for movies, but for life in general and especially youngsters trying to find purpose in their life. I'll update later.

23. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $396,459
    Admin Post

Another reason I found the movie somewhat loathesome...

Beware! Growth-Killing Identity Labels...

LeoistheSun likes this.
  24. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,677
    When do we start the "Feats of Strength"?

Richie Rich and Scot like this.
  25. Bryce R

Bryce R Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $138
    I know it's "just a movie"...but up until this movie (hoping it would redeem the mess that was TFA), this was my favorite movie franchise. It was going pretty well until the middle of he movie with the OJ chase and then the goose chase happening beside it...and then I started grinning ear to ear during Snoke's chamber scene...great moment.

• But then...I started to realize something. They scaled down everything over the last two movies.
    • The universe is smaller
    • The force seems weaker in individuals, no high powered duels, no choir singing to said duels
    • This terrorist organization is called the 1st Order is tiny and I don't really understand their motives
    • Dues ex Machina level convenient saves and escapes of people that were essentially dead...including the random passage way in the cave
    • Rey is on par with a guy who's trained his whole life with two grandmasters after two days of training? She can hang with him two movies in a row? WTF?
    • Tie fighters weren't scrambled to obliterate the ship standing still in space
    • Finn/Rose side-quest was literally unnecessary, because there were really no consequences for their failure, other than the fact that randomly the hacker they found ends up being an imperial agent? What are the chances?
    • Am I the only one who feels like the events and things happening in the story don't really matter within the framework of this new "story-line".

And guess what....All of this might've been excusable had they not disrespected Luke the way they did. That was unforgivable. And Rian did it unapologetically. It was basically a F*CK you to fans who care about the story and character.

There's so much more I could list, but this thread seems to have covered most of my qualms and don't want to repeat others. George Lucas is missed. They at least should've kept him around for stories/ideas (a la the Clone Wars series model. Lucas was a consultant, had others directing).

JJ/Rian, you're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I cannot follow... :(

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    luniac, TheCj, eSport Fan and 2 others like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.