The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Standing desks... Recommend?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Jdes91

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 5, 2020
Does anyone on the forum feel more productive when they are working standing as opposed to sitting for long periods of time? I am wondering if I should invest in a standing desk as back pain from sitting is starting to distract me from getting work done (even though I've been taking frequent breaks throughout the day).

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
back pain from sitting is starting to distract me from getting work done

This is primarily why I switched to exclusively standing.

I wouldn't say it affects my productivity much. My back does feel better though.

I would say my level of alertness is higher, and I'm able to keep tabs on my employees in the warehouse better, as it's easier to pop my head in real quick, or to chime in on something. As I'm 2 steps away, vs. in a chair that I may not feel like getting up out of.

freshwatermedia

New Contributor
Oct 17, 2020
Lancashire, UK
Does anyone on the forum feel more productive when they are working standing as opposed to sitting for long periods of time? I am wondering if I should invest in a standing desk as back pain from sitting is starting to distract me from getting work done (even though I've been taking frequent breaks throughout the day).
Hey. I'm very interested in this topic!

I've suffered with back pain (slip disc) since I was 21 (now 38). I currently use a fixed standing desk which has helped me out loads. It takes some getting used to but it's really helped strengthen my core.

I believe the key to being productive is being comfortable (and obviously not distracted as you've mentioned). I found standing up to begin with was very distracting because I wasn't used to it. But my overall aim was to improve my back.

Over the years I've done a lot of research into back pain and managing it (as well as seeing several experts); posture hasn't been one of my strong points. I stretch every day and work on strength and conditioning; this is something I need to always do otherwise I revert back.
By the way, out of everything I've come across, the best thing I was ever shown when my back starts to flare up is doing the Cobra pose (on the elbows, to begin with). Doing 3 sets of 60 secs works every time (if it's really bad it's usually better a few hours later). With my issue the bulging disc/s are pushed back in, by reversing my posture.
I'm no expert and everyone has a different problem, I'm just saying what has worked for me.

The important thing is to keep moving. With that said I too am looking into a sit stand desk - Jarvis by Fully seem to be one of the best sit stand desks and a good alternative Uplift V2.

Looking forward to seeing what others use and their experience.

Best of luck,
Dan

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2018
United States
In the beginning your feet will hurt, but over time you get used to it. I prefer to stand then sit now. It helps if you get a pad for your feet.

sonny_1080

Making friends and solving problems!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Best move I ever made was getting an adjustable sit/stand desk.

GPM

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I got a cheap hand-crank standing desk from Ikea and a kitchen floor mat from Costco to stand on.

I have not sat at my desk in probably 3 years, it is full on standing for me now.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Sitting too long causes the hip flexors + quads to get more tight, which then pulls on the hips and creates an anterior tilt. That results in back pain, and tighter leg muscles overall.

The best way to counteract this is to stand more often rather than sitting all the time.

As people who are working a lot on computers to build our businesses, a standing desk to have the option to stand more frequently is an absolute necessity, imo.

Last edited:

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 18, 2014
NS, Canada
I purchased my desk from autonomous.ai and couldn't be happier with it. They sell full desks and also just the frames so you can put your own top on it.

Best feature is the memory setting and it goes up and down super fast (~3 seconds to go from seated to standing no effort just press 1 button). I got the dual motor version, it's possible single would be slower.

There were delays with shipping, this was along time ago but they gave me a partial refund because of the delays. I've had the product for years now. You'll use a desk daily so get something good.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
I might join in a couple weeks. I have so many things I have to take care of and I hate to sound...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom