The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Stalker Mode" ?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Is there a way in vbulletin to "stalk" somebody?

Say, I want to follow all posts and threads by biophase, jack edward, vigilante, runum, rickson9, etc because I see they provide a lot of value in their comments.

Is there a way to do that easily in the forum software?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I'd be interested in the same thing. I typically read things they respond to, or you can search their posts manually too through each profile.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
you can search their posts manually too through each profile.
Yes, I do that but it is more time consuming... trying to make it "expedite stalker mode" here...
Someone suggested setting up a Google Alert in RSS.
Correct. It is slow as it depends on when Google crawls the site and then applies the filter for your alerts.

The ideal fix would be part of the vbulletin as it would have integrated user access permissions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
You can add them as a friend and view all of their posts in your profile. That's probably the easiest way.

I was looking around the admin area of a forum of mine to see if there was a good way to do it but couldn't figure it out without moderating the users posts. Not sure if Mods have admin rights here though.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
For anyone looking to get into web programming, making a tool to do it for just TheFastlane would be a great project to learn from. Here is the basic idea to do it:

First grab the source code of the user someone wants to track, lets just say andviv for the example his profile is

www. thefastlaneforum.com/members/andviv.html

Parse the html that is returned to get the userid. The user id of every users can be found as part of the query for the 'find latest posts' and here is andvivs

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/search.php?do=finduser&userid=32&contenttype=vBForum_Post&showposts=1

Pull out the id, and save it. Now any time someone wants to see if there has been any posts by a user you simple parse the html result of the above page with the users id in it, and check if there have been updates since the last time checked.

This really would be a great little project for someone to do..

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.