The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spreadsheet - Analyzing a deal

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
I was wondering if anyone had a spreadsheet they use to analyze deals. I would like to build one to help me when looking for rental units to purchase. I have some that I built carying costs and rehab, etc but am more interested in analyzing what price to purchase at. Basically what is the best way to arrive at a price to make offers at.

Can any one offer suggestions or share what you may use for this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't have a spreadsheet for this, but I have a quick comment.

The asking price has nothing to do with what it is worth to you. Look at the market in the area, rental rates, demographics, etc. But not asking price. Once you get to the end - - - you have decided what that property is worth to you - - - then compare that number to asking price - - but not before.

Particularly in todays market, the asking price doesn't mean much. Many sellers today will be quite flexible.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
Here is a deal evaluator worksheet that my dad uses to buy his properties. I am not an expert in Excel by any means so I can't really explain it. Also attached is a cost to sell spreadsheet. Helps when you are buying subject to properties.

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks everyone. In the end, my goal is to assemble my own sheet. I wanted to see the info that others were looking at. I guess I could have asked the question better.

During the day, I work for a commercial property management company. We look at things in a whole idfferent perspective (like costs per square foot, etc). So I know in the end what I'd like to accomplish but not sure what info is pertinent.

Thanks again for eveyones help. you are very generous.

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
Rcardin, thanks for that spreadsheet. I'm a bit of a budding excel nerd, so its always fun to have something to play around with. My question is, what in the world did investors do before the advent of spreadsheets? I certainly don't have the patience to do this stuff by hand...

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Rcardin, thanks for that spreadsheet. I'm a bit of a budding excel nerd, so its always fun to have something to play around with. My question is, what in the world did investors do before the advent of spreadsheets? I certainly don't have the patience to do this stuff by hand...

Spreadsheets have been around for a long time!
It's just the computerized versions that are new.

Our CFO talks about the "good old days" when the auditors would tape a mess of accounting spreadsheets together on our conference table.

Everything was filled in with pencils, and the cross-checking began!

Thank goodness I never had to deal with that very much.:thankyousign:

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Here are two spreadsheets that my brokerage uses for 4 families.

This one is a five year analysis.

And this is a one year analysis

One of the agents in the office made them. Just fill in the red or orange numbers and it spits out cap rate, cash on cash return, cashflow, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.