The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sorry, But MJ (or the forum) Can't Make Your Life Decisions For You!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm starting to receive a lot of emails, and even messages on this forum that request advice on major, life-changing decisions ... as if, I, and the forum, holds some type of crystal ball that knows the right decision for your life, your family, and your happiness.

Do I quit my job?
Do I move across the country?
Do I build the website myself? Or outsource?
Do I risk going into business with Joe Blow or stay in school?
Do I start this business? Or that business?
Do I wipe my a$$ with scented toilet paper or not?
Do I do this?
Do I do that?

Folks, I don't know!

I can't make these decisions for you.

The forum cannot make these decisions for you.

Everyone is different and only you know you. Some people are dealmakers. Some are introverts. Some are networkers. Some are analytical geniuses.

And yet, please understand that every decision of major consequence in your life carries with it RISK. And yet, RISK is fundamental to the Fastlane because it is the ROAD LESS TRAVELED and often involves sacrifice, and hard-work beyond the "well-traveled" road.

You have to do what is right for YOU and what YOU think will make you happy. And guess what? For some folks, that just might be a Slowlane -- no worries -- life is about happiness and being resolute in your dreams and goals. Whatever path you take, understand that everything extraordinary in life often involved an extraordinary risk.

If you are having trouble making a big decision in your life, I suggest you use the WADM decision matrix that I have used so many times in my life.

I have been HAPPY in every decision this matrix solved for me.

So to sum it up, I don't know if you should quit college.
I don't know if you should quit your job.
I don't know if you should move to another country.
I don't know if you should quit that business and start another.
I don't know if you should piss-off your parents and do what they don't want.
I don't know if you should learn how to code, or just partner.

And sadly,
the forum doesn't know if you should quit your job.
the forum doesn't know if you should move to another country.
the forum doesn't know if you should quit that business and start another.
the forum doesn't know if you should piss-off your parents and do what they don't want.
the forum doesn't know if you should learn how to code, or just partner.

While I'm flattered that I am asked about such big decisions, my answers are automatically BIASED based on my life experience. The forum responds in the same fashion.

This does not guarantee you will get a good answer based on what is best for YOU.

Take a deep breath, and ask yourself ... What is going to make me happy not just this week, but over the long term? Should you be blessed with another 40 years of life, is this the path you want to take? And remember, not all of life is rainbows and unicorns, the challenging path is the path of growth.

As for my take on decisions, you should already know what my answer will be ... the Fastlane path. But again, that is ME.

I am not you.

You may possess other strengths, talents, and attributes that make the other answer, BETTER.

:cool: :pompus:

Good luck and happy decision-making!

PS: Remember this axiom: Hard choices makes for an easy life. Easy choices makes for a hard life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I see threads with those kind of questions started on a daily basis but I hadn't considered that people are sending you these questions privately as well. Personally, I think major life decisions should be made by the person taking them. That way, if things go wrong you can't blame someone else for your choice and if it turns out going right then you can be pleased that you chose a path and it turned out well.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but I hadn't considered that people are sending you these questions privately as well.

Almost everyday ... and they are BIG decisions.

canadiangal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2011
Almost everyday ... and they are BIG decisions.

It is not fair to expect life decisions from you, but at least an opinion. The ultimate decision will come from the us, but the reason why one goes to an expert is to get an advice, an opinion, not a complete silence.
I haven't sent any private message, but I have posted a few times in here and expected to receive an opinion from you but you remained silent :-(.
I told myself that maybe it is because I don't have the 'I have read the book' mention yet, so I decided to order the book and am currently reading it, hoping to get an opinion from you; though the help and opinion of others have helped me tremendously.

:)

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but I have posted a few times in here and expected to receive an opinion from you but you remained silent

My apologies. I'm sorry about that and it has nothing do to with an icon.

It's because I haven't read whatever was addressed to me. There are dozens of posts made here daily and frankly, I probably only get to read a tiny % of them. So if someone is asking me something in a long thread somewhere, there's a great likelihood that I'll never read it, or I scanned it over.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
I think another thing to take into consideration is that when he made some of his life decisions such as leaving Chicago for Phoenix, he didn't have $10,000,000. I think some people are asking him these questions are because he is successful in their eyes, but you have got to understand when he made his life decisions he wasn't where he wanted to be and that's why he made the decisions he did. He was in the same boat of you guys are currently in. It was the decisions he made for himself that determined where he is now.

You don't become successful and then ask the big questions, you ask the big questions and then become successful.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
I can guarantee that anyone who would ask someone to make life changing decisions for them are not cut out for the fastlane and very likely to fail. Fastlane is not for everyone, that's why the slowlane and sidewalk exist. Again, I don't mean to be mean but I have a hard time understanding some of these guys' behavior.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
MJ, IMHO: I don't think you should feel responsible for running a free "Dear MJ" advice-for-the-lovelorn column. People should feel welcome to post questions here, and they will probably get some good advice from a wide range of viewpoints. *IF* you choose to chime in, great. I don't think you're required to. Neither do I feel it's appropriate for people to PM you directly for advice. As you said, you can't make THEIR decisions FOR THEM.

Just because you run the asylum here, doesn't mean you're "on call" for everybody with a question!

GlassCannon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 15, 2011
It is not fair to expect life decisions from you, but at least an opinion. The ultimate decision will come from the us, but the reason why one goes to an expert is to get an advice, an opinion, not a complete silence.
I haven't sent any private message, but I have posted a few times in here and expected to receive an opinion from you but you remained silent :-(.
I told myself that maybe it is because I don't have the 'I have read the book' mention yet, so I decided to order the book and am currently reading it, hoping to get an opinion from you; though the help and opinion of others have helped me tremendously.

I think it's unreasonable to expect someone who is inundated with requests for his limited time to drop whatever he's doing and spend hours answering everyone's questions *FOR FREE* no less. Why should MJ have to do this? If he has the time and desires to he can contribute on the forum here and there but he's under no obligation to do so. Would you ask Stephen King or JK Rowling for basically a one on one consultation just because you read their book? Probably not so please respect MJ's time, he's done enough by writing the book and putting this forum together for us.

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
Great post MJ. I agree you cannot help someone to make a life changing decision. People need to be responsible for their own decisions. It may be great to have your opinion but it seems that those who ask these types of questions think your answer will reduce their risk in life. To be in the fastlane is all about risk and no ones advice can reduce it.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
"Almost everyday ... and they are BIG decisions."

As Mj already knows, im sure, these people are simply trying to confide in somone and want someone to make their decisions for them instead of them making the decisions. This is very common among people who seek approval from others; I’m not a psychiatrist MJ but this usually starts with their conflict within themselves or from lack of support from their parents or others around them. They simply need somone else who they feel is knowledgeable to give them the go ahead, even though they know what must be done, they just aren’t listening to themselves. These people will be lost until they realize that they alone can make their decisions, no matter how difficult they are; when you hold a gun in your hands your the only one pulling the trigger.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
People send me private messages, and I'll help you solve your problems.

Better yet, pay me $15 dollar for every 10 minutes and I'll give you a tarot reading.

-
kidding here

FutureBlessings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 1, 2011
I agree MJ sometimes people need a reality check!! Im certainly one of those people who needed to hear that but thank God I never had the guts to ask you any of those questions lol. This post is a true wake call.

I think most people are living in fear and are afraid of making bad decisions because we have been brained washed for so many years to follow rules to live a "happy slowlane life". I have this fear too, but I will overcome it.

Most people feel if they could ask someone what to do it might solve their problems and unfortunately it doesn't. They have to look deep down in themselves. Everyone has a reason to be successful and over come obstacles in their lives. I guess they feel maybe you have the magical answer since you made it out the rat race.

We can only make ourselves do what are minds tell us and, if its all negativity then thats what life will bring us and vice versa. MJ cant guide us to the millions only YOU can. You wrote in your book what are good businesses to start to become fastlane. It's understandable if people just really need advice but, honestly NO ONE can decide your future/life for you.

I have major reasons to get out of this rat race I'm trapped in right now and, I will not stop until I succeed. Trust me I am taking my OWN advice as well, to make things happen.

Dutchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 20, 2011
London
I can guarantee that anyone who would ask someone to make life changing decisions for them are not cut out for the fastlane and very likely to fail. Fastlane is not for everyone, that's why the slowlane and sidewalk exist. Again, I don't mean to be mean but I have a hard time understanding some of these guys' behavior.

Excellent post, very well put!

PND

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 7, 2011
France
If you are having trouble making a big decision in your life, I suggest you use the WADM decision matrix that I have used so many times in my life.

Got a Tough Choice? HelpMyDecision.com Helps You Make Better Decisions!

I used this method on paper. I tried it on your website. The "issue" is that I would have "liked" the result was different.

I have a difficult decision to make nowadays. Deep inside I know the right answer but I am really afraid. I know I need to change my plan. I know if I don't change that will be a sidewalk action. I know in the end I will surely change my plan. The fact is if I send you an email and you say to me "Yeh you should change" it would help me. I could say "Even the great MJ thinks I should change".

Actually I didn't asked you by email because I know already which is the good answer, I know what I should do (even if not yet decided). However I thought about asking you. I understand some people may need your answers when crossing roads.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I find that often people seek others to help them with major decisions just to have a 'fall guy' in the event the decision turns out to be the wrong choice.

Yes, that's what I was trying to get at. They want to remove the responsibility for the decision from themselves, so that if it turns out to be a bad one, they will feel like someone else is to blame: "It's so and so's fault I quit my job and started a business because he said that's what I should do!"

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
Personally, I think major life decisions should be made by the person taking them. That way, if things go wrong you can't blame someone else for your choice and if it turns out going right then you can be pleased that you chose a path and it turned out well.

Exactly! If you need advice from a stranger on a life decision, then you don't really understand major Fastlane concepts like CONTROL.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't think you should feel responsible for running a free "Dear MJ" advice-for-the-lovelorn column. People should feel welcome to post questions here, and they will probably get some good advice from a wide range of viewpoints. *IF* you choose to chime in, great.

Thank you, this has been my approach, and the *IF* is if I read the post/question/thread.

I think it's unreasonable to expect someone who is inundated with requests for his limited time to drop whatever he's doing and spend hours answering everyone's questions *FOR FREE* no less. Why should MJ have to do this? If he has the time and desires to he can contribute on the forum here and there but he's under no obligation to do so. Would you ask Stephen King or JK Rowling for basically a one on one consultation just because you read their book? Probably not so please respect MJ's time, he's done enough by writing the book and putting this forum together for us.

I actually don't mind. I'm here everyday. I try to read what I can. But the bottomline is, I hate having to opine on major, life decisions because again, I am biased.

I find that often people seek others to help them with major decisions just to have a 'fall guy' in the event the decision turns out to be the wrong choice.

And that's what scares me ... I want someone to quit their job because they *felt* it was the RIGHT thing for them, not the RIGHT thing for me.

Im certainly one of those people who needed to hear that but thank God I never had the guts to ask you any of those questions lol.

It's no big deal, I would have thought of you no less. I just want you to be happy with the choices.

I know in the end I will surely change my plan. The fact is if I send you an email and you say to me "Yeh you should change" it would help me. I could say "Even the great MJ thinks I should change".

But do you understand that my answer will be BIASED based on my wisdom, life experience, and personal knowledge of myself? In the end, I want YOU (and anyone else that asks one of these personal, life-altering choices) to be HAPPY. Therefore, I'm not sure my BIASED answer is the ANSWER that will lead the questioner to happiness (or success), considering the decision had to be asked.

PLAN A might be the best Fastlane route for me, while PLAN B might be for someone else. I will pick PLAN A when internally based on your strengths, the correct action is PLAN B. (I'm just saying generically, not referring to you.)

While I'm flattered that I am asked about such big decisions, my answers are automatically BIASED based on my life experience. This does not guarantee you will get a good answer based on what is best for YOU.

In general, you should already know what my answer will be ... the Fastlane path. But again, that is ME. I am not you. You may possess other strengths, talents, and attributes that make the other answer, BETTER.

Also, the when I picked-up and moved across the country, I *knew* it was the right decision. It felt right. I didn't ask anyone. The other big decisions, I also *knew* but needed confirmation, that nudge, and that's when the WADM matrix fell into place because it was BIASED toward me.

The synopsis of this post is basically I want YOU to be happy with your decisions and live with them with responsibility - when MJ/Hakrjak/Sparlin/Rickson/RussH/Your Mom/Your BFF/Some Stranger on A Forum or anyone else *thinks* you should take PLAN A when the best for YOU is PLAN B, there's a potential for an incongruous result, one that won't make you happy.

YOU know YOU best.

I want everyone here to have the same result ... and that result is happiness via the 3 F's, fitness, family, and freedom.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
MJ DeMarco,

When I first joined there was no "book" and it seemed like the majority of people had a leader personality which was great because there were so many great threads of people "executing" and gathering feed back on their well thought out ideas. After all to even find the forum you had to be motivated and serious enough to search it out.

However, since the book came out it's attracted a large amount of "Follower" types as well. Follower types who look for "inspiration" instead of looking for a "market".

Instead of looking at business as a non-stop fight involving attacking, defending,retreating and countering they view it as a test which contains questions that you have to answer correctly. Which is why MJ's opinion matters so deeply because he's already "passed the test".

I think trying to get them to "stop" would be a waste of time, instead I think it would be cool if you tried to monetize them.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I agree with you 100% MJ.

I have to admit it. I'm guilty of emailing you too after I read the book. It was for something so silly when I think about it now. It wasn't a question you should be answering for me. It was something I should have answered myself, which I did.

I could imagine what it's like having people messaging you for answers to such huge decisions in their life. Then if you did answer them and they failed or something went wrong in their life because of it, who knows how many lawsuits you might have against you or how much hate mail you would get.

It still might be good to post your big decision in this forum to get some feedback. You would probably get answers for and against your dilemma so you can see the positive and the negative and then make an educated decision based on the feedback.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
I find myself coming to these forums less. At first it's been interesting, but most of the posts are "help me with <stupid question #49871087>".. I even see that there's a Fastlane Fantasy Football thread.... WTF!

There are a few people that appear to be doing, but mostly it's people whose money I'll be taking in years to come, when I'm fastlane and they're still dreaming and wondering why it hasn't fallen into their hands.

Ah bah. </rant>

millionairesol

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Aug 11, 2011
It still will not be a bad idea to open Help Line to "ASK MJ This" MJ may not necessarily answer all. But the ones that involve the individual's personal decision will be skipped. and the ones that could help even other members might be treated. If there are other admin members in here, they can even help out. Some of these questions might even be good and ideal for discussions on the forum here and everybody learns at the end of the day.
But questions on SHOULD I QUIT MY JOB and bla bla bla, could go for consultation service charge.:cool:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I read this and a thought came to my mind... MJ, get your "Guru-style" answer ready:

"We have a seminar for that, Free. For free, we will up-sell you a $500 seminar for more details. After that, another up-sell to a $50,000 seminar where I will tell you read my material and do what you want, cause IO don't care anymore"

It must be Monday, cause I keep thinking of bad joke after bad joke....

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Its not necessarily the big decision that we make that makes the difference. Its the little decisions we make afterwards that make the difference.

Well anyway it sounds good. Something about chaos and the universe and how its all connected in there somewhere. LOL

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Sigh. I wish I had hair... J/k

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.