The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Somewhere, someone is training to kill you

Anything related to matters of the mind

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I heard this daily in the Marine Corps "somewhere, right now, someone is training to kill you. What are you going to do today?" In the military, it was true. Some 15 year old who lives on a dollar a day in the mountains of some crap hole country is training to get the chance to slit my throat. So I better make sure I work harder today and get out of bed.

What does this have to do with business?

Hopefully your competitors aren't going to slit your throat. But they definitely want to eat your lunch.

Somewhere, someone is building something to take your business. What are you going to do about it today?

Approach every day with urgency and this mindset. Complacency kills. Don't let someone else beat you at your own game.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Needed that today. Been getting a little complacent the last couple weeks. Reps

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
We clearly have a Trump voter here, right?

What's your malfunction? Do you have a good reason for violating community guidelines and bringing politics into an inherently apolitical post?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
What's your malfunction? Do you have a good reason for violating community guidelines and bringing politics into an inherently apolitical post?
Homey was triggered obviously. I guess he accidentally left his safe space.

EDIT: Goddamn it, my new years resolution was to be less of a dick to people, and it seems I'm already failing

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Man, it's as true in business as it is in the service arguably more so. In the Marines, the kid in the armpit of the world wanted to slit your throat but he had limited resources. He was long on heart, but short on reach. In business, you have every mother humper with internet access looking to eat your pudding. Now, if you really want to be honest, that hard eyed kid with the knife wants to kill imperialists Yankee dog capitalists just as much as he wants Marine blood. Soooo, your enemy list still includes him. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, we need to devote time each and every day to being physically strong. Be as smart as you can be and as strong as you can be. It's not an either/or deal. It's a full court press.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Good analogy

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This speaks to the disrupters in the market too. Many big companies got complacent with their success and someone more agile killed their business.

But even if you aren't a giant, someone out there is thinking of your idea right now and probably can add more value than you, so you better out execute them.

Also, thanks for the rep @Vigilante

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I heard this daily in the Marine Corps "somewhere, right now, someone is training to kill you. What are you going to do today?" In the military, it was true. Some 15 year old who lives on a dollar a day in the mountains of some crap hole country is training to get the chance to slit my throat. So I better make sure I work harder today and get out of bed.

What does this have to do with business?

Hopefully your competitors aren't going to slit your throat. But they definitely want to eat your lunch.

Somewhere, someone is buillding something to take your business. What are you going to do about it today?

Approach every day with urgency and this mindset. Complacency kills. Don't let someone else beat you at your own game.

by the way, the most dangereous people on earth are not stupid bad guys with guns

the most dangerous people are smart people behind the scenes with deep strategic knowledge and an agenda

i have been studying strategy for years so i know what is going on

these people are very very dangerous

very dangerous

nobody here can really understand what i mean

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
The most dangerous people are this guy :fistbump:

220px-James_Mattis.jpg

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Somewhere, someone is buillding something to take your business. What are you going to do about it today?
I understand pretty much, this is the way the world operates. Meijer and Wal-mart stand side by side in my home town. They go in and watch each other and compete constantly. I believe the focus is more on improving your business, and making it stand out from the rest. I was watching a video the other day about a company who was always trying to be number one and be their competition. The moral of the story, they wasted a lot of time, years, and money. They decided to do something different and go for second place and use it as leverage. Stated we're number two, but look at all the advantage we have over being number one. They bypassed the number one company, and became first because they adjusted their strategy.

While I'm constantly watching competitor's, I understand frankly, people are going to like oranges, apples, and banana's. Now I can try to serve all three, but why not just serve banana's, and get good at selling banana's. I may be an a better expert, because I decided to get good at one thing, instead of trying to get good at everything.

I've given up the war inside my thoughts, emotions, and feelings. So, if my competitor's slice my throat, I would say, it's a natural catastrophe beyond my immediate control. Unexpected events happen. I like to have laser focus. It's kind of like being in a car race. If you're busy watching the other drivers, you're going to smash up an expensive car, just because you were to busy worrying about what the competitor's doing. You lose the race by focusing on them too much.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
by the way, the most dangereous people on earth are not stupid bad guys with guns

the most dangerous people are smart people behind the scenes with deep strategic knowledge and an agenda

i have been studying strategy for years so i know what is going on

these people are very very dangerous

very dangerous

nobody here can really understand what i mean
Stupid_RPG.jpg

Most dangerous man in the world is the guy who doesn't understand what a F*cking RPG does

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Stupid_RPG.jpg

Most dangerous man in the world is the guy who doesn't understand what a F*cking RPG does

Nah, RPG's have an arming range of like 50 yds or something. He'd just stick the grenade in Professors grape and it wouldn't explode.

Edit. Google says 5-10 meter arming distance.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Nah, RPG's have an arming range of like 50 yds or something. He'd just stick the grenade in Professors grape and it wouldn't explode.

Edit. Google says 5-10 meter arming distance.
True, but it's funnier imagining it in a COD like setting

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Great reminder to start the new day, thanks @Scot.

I'm boxing on the side, so I tell myself in weak moments:

"Protect yourself at all times."

Now, how you protect yourself is up to you.

Maybe you are so fast they cannot reach you.

Maybe you are such a good blocker that you don't fear their punches.

Maybe you punch so hard and fast that you don't worry about blocking.

Now life is not and shouldn't be all that martial, but I still believe in competitiveness.

Competitiveness is a double-edged sword though.

Comparing is not sustainable.

Conquering is.

If I wake up complacent, my competitors have come closer.

This doesn't mean I am waking up unhappy or dissatisfied though.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I’m bumping this thread because I haven’t been active enough in my business this past couple of weeks.

So, did you do enough today to make sure your competitor doesn’t slit your throat?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is kind of fear-based. It's common knowledge to understand your competition is watching everything you do, adapts, adjusts, and even attacks your business at times too steal the show. Better to just have a good understanding, you don't focus too much on what the other is doing, but be focused on where you want to be. The whole objective is to be fearless, but still have some common sense, be observant, and apply what is needed time to time, adapt, adjust, and execute.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is kind of fear-based. It's common knowledge to understand your competition is watching everything you do, adapts, adjusts, and even attacks your business at times too steal the show. Better to just have a good understanding, you don't focus too much on what the other is doing, but be focused on where you want to be. The whole objective is to be fearless, but still have some common sense, be observant, and apply what is needed time to time, adapt, adjust, and execute.

I love you but I disagree completely. I’m compulsively obsessed by not only understanding every aspect of our business but in studying the enemy and anticipating exactly what they will do.

Meanwhile they haven’t the slightest idea what we are going to do and when the time comes we will kick the hell out of them.

This theory was borrowed from General George Patton. I believe vehemently in being obsessed with your marketplace,
With your customers, with your strategy, and with your competitors.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This is kind of fear-based.

Well, I mean, it was the Marine Corps...

It boils down to this. If you build your business believing that every minute you are being lazy, you competition is working hard to build a better company, you’ll never be behind.

The point is to never be complacent. Complacency kills.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Interesting thread for myself to have seen for the first time.

I know this was intended as a metaphor but I have been stepping up my game recently to be a lot more prepared for worst case scenarios. I am far from a paranoid or anxious person but I do find myself living and traveling to places where you got to be aware. In the last few years I have lived in and visited Colombia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, etc. Never had any issues but these sorts of places do have the potential to turn up a few notches fast.

Since I am planning on living in Mexico for the next few years (already did three months in Mazatlan - where they caught El Chalpo) I went and got some books on situational awareness and dealing with situations. Maybe they are going to be cheesy but I hope they have some decent bits of advice:

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 17.26.46.png

I have read 100s of books on business so why not a few on staying alive ha. I forget which thread on here but someone has a really good four-part system (OADA!!? or something) for being aware as you go about your everyday. That got me started on this but I can't remember what it was now (it was a while back).

Anyway, on the business side, someone did try to rip off my whole business recently. I saw it coming and had a plan in place to minimize the damage done. They only ended up hurting their own reputation and didn't get far at all. if I had of been blindsided a lot of damage could have been done. So definitely pays off to be aware in both business and everyday life.

Solid thread @Scot.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
’m compulsively obsessed by not only understanding every aspect of our business but in studying the enemy and anticipating exactly what they will do.
I get you. This is more of the Art of War. The strategy. I think from the Navy Seals perspective, they do what you just said, but still they have to be fearless to execute the mission of what they choose to accomplish. There might be observations, study, and research of the enemy, but they understand there is a risk in the adventure. This amounts to a lot of focus, concentration, and making the right choices in every moment.

Marines seem more kill, destroy, and usually first in combat, and of course they have a tough job. They each have a different strategy to war, and different training.

Business can be very similar. Life is general can be very similar. Depends on the situation and who your competitors are, there motives, their intentions, and of course you always have to have your eyes wide open. Everyone's not your best friend. Betrayal is always evident even in the closest relationships in business or else where.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA

I know this was intended as a metaphor but I have been stepping up my game recently to be a lot more prepared for worst case scenarios. I am far from a paranoid or anxious person but I do find myself living and traveling to places where you got to be aware. In the last few years I have lived in and visited Colombia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, etc. Never had any issues but these sorts of places do have the potential to turn up a few notches fast.

Since I am planning on living in Mexico for the next few years (already did three months in Mazatlan - where they caught El Chalpo) I went and got some books on situational awareness and dealing with situations. Maybe they are going to be cheesy but I hope they have some decent bits of advice:

View attachment 22069

I have read 100s of books on business so why not a few on staying alive ha. I forget which thread on here but someone has a really good four-part system (OADA!!? or something) for being aware as you go about your everyday. That got me started on this but I can't remember what it was now (it was a while back).

Anyway, on the business side, someone did try to rip off my whole business recently. I saw it coming and had a plan in place to minimize the damage done. They only ended up hurting their own reputation and didn't get far at all. if I had of been blindsided a lot of damage could have been done. So definitely pays off to be aware in both business and everyday life.

Solid thread @Scot.

Thanks for sharing your list!

Have you read 100 Deadly Skills by Clint Emerson?

Might be an addition to your reading list! I haven't looked it over for a few years but it actually has step by step drawings for real life situations that are hopefully never actually needed!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

View attachment 22069

Solid thread @Scot.

OODA Loop

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!