• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real Estate Some Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by Bilgefisher, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $393
    My business partner and I are looking at purchasing a small store. We have decided to that we need liquid assets to support running the store for 4-6 months assuming worst case scenario. In order to come up with funds we have begun researching flipping SFH residential properties. Inspired by Utah's posts we have looked into pre-foreclosures.

Currently the average house price in my town is 220k. We are hoping to initially flip houses from 125k-200k. Reasons include limiting mortgage costs, minor repair costs, and Realtor costs. We have 16k in liquid assets. I don't think we are ready for the CF side of real estate just yet and our immediate goals warrant flipping properties.

I have some concerns.
    -I have talked to a real estate agent in the area (family friend) who stated he is having trouble selling houses lately and the value of homes has dropped all across the county.
    - As I understand it, home mortgages are not being handed out as readily atm. This would result in less people able to buy properties.

Questions:
    Is it realistic to try and flip properties in a buyers market?
    Are there other methods I should research to come up with liquid assets?
    With small amount of liquid assets, is pre-foreclosure the best route?
    Are there other methods I should consider?
    Am I missing something in the equation?

Feel free to be harsh. Its the best way to learn sometimes. I am trying ask educated questions, but If you need more information please ask.

2. tbsells

tbsells Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    It is realistic to flip properties in a buyers market. But, you have to buy them very right. YOU MAKE MONEY IN REAL ESTATE WHEN YOU BUY, NOT WHEN YOU SELL. Always remember that! In order to make money right now on a flip you are going to have to buy it cheap enough that you can buy it, carry it, fix it up, sell it below the comps and still make money. Its not easy, but it can be done. As your friend said the ATM money machine is gone and consequently there are fewer buyers in the market. Fewer buyers looking at more homes means yours needs to stand out both in condition and on price.

Flipping is the best way I know to generate cash fairly quickly. I'm sure others on here could advise of other methods. I like to keep things fairly simple and buy low, sell high always works. The sell high part is a problem right now, so you have to buy lower and sell moderately high. In spite of current problems, it can be done and is being done all over the country right now.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.