The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SolarCity Solar Roof

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Wow!

These solar panels are beautiful! I never thought the aesthetic look of solar panels would be a consumer problem, but after looking at these magnificent creations, I realized Elon created a solution for a problem I didn't even know existed; so cool!

Old:
sunpower-breaks-world-record-for-efficient-solar-panels.jpg

New:
press_solar_home_3.0.jpg

Watch the event here:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Amazing indeed. I watched this earlier. It's also amazing no one invented a solution sooner. I've always felt like, why not use the whole roof ? The thing sits atop a building staring at the sun !

Looking forward to his progress and update with this.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Amazing indeed. I watched this earlier. It's also amazing no one invented a solution sooner. I've always felt like, why not use the whole roof ? The thing sits atop a building staring at the sun !

Looking forward to his progress and update with this.
Yes, I agree. I think coal & gas companies have kept the status quo for a long time, and anyone that cut into their profits was muscled out.

I'm from Texas, where the sun is always shining. I think this would be a great solution for businesses, homes, etc.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
They had them before but they were ugly and inefficient.

Solarcitys looks amazing, I read that they are working on better coatings to help the efficiency. The only thing I wonder about is cleaning. Normal panels have to be cleaned every so often. If your roof is slick tiles, I'm not sure how you'd clean that effectively.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
They had them before but they were ugly and inefficient.

Solarcitys looks amazing, I read that they are working on better coatings to help the efficiency. The only thing I wonder about is cleaning. Normal panels have to be cleaned every so often. If your roof is slick tiles, I'm not sure how you'd clean that effectively.

Suction cup boots. :D

Quick someone steal this!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Seems like another "why didn't I think of that product". I bet other solar companies thought about it and never gave it a shot because someone told them it was impossible or too expensive.

B V Marlon

Connecting Dots
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Oct 29, 2016
UK
It really is an awesome idea, especially if the lifetime costs are comparable with current roofing materials.

Bizarrely a couple of months ago I had the same thought - solar roofing tiles and was surprised to see that no-one was making them when I googled it. I really did think that someone somewhere would already have been doing it.

G

GuestUser450

Crazy good.

I love these unpolished, engineer-awkward presentations, and I think a lot of others with 'glossy montage fatigue' do too.

He knows the gravity of what he's trying to do, the need for it to be consumer-propelled, and the story people have to believe to buy in.

Every time I start to think he's blowing smoke I'm reminded of how many different fields he's excelling at to bring these ideas to fruition.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Crazy good.

I love these unpolished, engineer-awkward presentations, and I think a lot of others with 'glossy montage fatigue' do too.

He knows the gravity of what he's trying to do, the need for it to be consumer-propelled, and the story people have to believe to buy in.

Every time I start to think he's blowing smoke I'm reminded of how many different fields he's excelling at to bring these ideas to fruition.
I agree! And people say, "he's a terrible public speaker." Like, who cares?!

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Since this is an entrepreneurial forum... why not spark ideas where this could be translocated?
  1. Roof, hood, trunk of cars?
  2. @SteveO Golf carts?
  3. Street lights/lamps?
  4. 'Cobblestone' streets/sidewalks?
The possibilities are likely endless for solar.

B V Marlon

Connecting Dots
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Oct 29, 2016
UK
There's a German startup looking at Solar panel covered cars:
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/crowdfunded-electric-car-integrates-solar-panels-self-charging.html

They claim that these integrated panels give an extra 19 miles range, which can only increase as solar cells become more efficient. On that basis, the solar powered golf buggy seems pretty feasible, especially in sunnier locations.

Solar powered street lights are also now a reality - they can either be used as a standalone, or as part of a smart grid system:
http://www.scotialight.com/

If we can crack solar and/or fusion, we won't need oil to burn for energy. These solar roofs are a great idea - local generation and micro-grids are the most efficient way of generating and distributing power, as transmission losses in conventional grids are huge.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.