The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Software Company Names, Spelling, and Domain

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I am in the middle of picking a name for a software company and am finding this to be more difficult than I thought.

1. What do you think about company names with non conventional spelling?
  2. What do you think about domain names without a .com extension?
  • Top-level domain names are pretty much all taken
  • I may have to resort to a company name with a non-conventional spelling
  • My defense mechanism always kicks in when I see domains without a .com extension
Edit:
Great resource here: http://catchwordbranding.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/CW_NamingGuide_100914.pdf

Thanks,
MG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
If the product is good, then I don't think it matters too much. As long it is simple enough to remember and say over the phone.

I've always liked .io domains for software companies.

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
I am in the middle of picking a name for a software company and am finding this to be more difficult than I thought.

1. What do you think about company names with non conventional spelling?
  2. What do you think about domain names without a .com extension?
  • Top-level domain names are pretty much all taken
  • I may have to resort to a company name with a non-conventional spelling
  • My defense mechanism always kicks in when I see domains without a .com extension
Thanks,
MG
Like Squatchman said, if the product is good, the domain name is nothing to be too fixated on.

I will avoid non conventional spelling, though. They can be hard to pronounce and forgettable.

If the domain name is taken you can add a word or two to the name you had in mind.

Say I want a website for a house cleaning company named 'tidy'. Say tidy.com is taken (obviously), I can simply go with mytidy.com as the domain name.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Like Squatchman said, if the product is good, the domain name is nothing to be too fixated on.

I will avoid non conventional spelling, though. They can be hard to pronounce and forgettable.

If the domain name is taken you can add a word or two to the name you had in mind.

Say I want a website for a house cleaning company named 'tidy'. Say tidy.com is taken (obviously), I can simply go with mytidy.com as the domain name.

This is a great idea...I wonder what other words I can add. Is there a name for additive words in marketing? Maybe there is a worksheet I can Google if I only knew what to call it.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I wouldn't over complicate this process.

To simplify the process, just add a suffix to the end of the word.

For example, spot + ify = Spotify

zjwfaf.jpg

In your case, let's say your name is auto.com. However, that domain is taken. So, just add a suffix. For example:
  • auto-ful
  • auto-dom
  • auto-ify
  • auto-ish
Here's a list of suffixes to get the ideas flowing:

Overall, don't focus 80% of your time on this. Pick a name and move on to step 2.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia

zjwfaf.jpg

In your case, let's say your name is auto.com. However, that domain is taken. So, just add a suffix. For example:
  • auto-ful
  • auto-dom
  • auto-ify
  • auto-ish

Overall, don't focus 80% of your time on this. Pick a name and move on to step 2.
Eureka! That's what it was called! A suffix...haha thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Eureka! That's what it was called! A suffix...haha thanks.

That being said, do you think a .io domain is that bad?

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia

zjwfaf.jpg

• auto-ful
  • auto-dom
  • auto-ify
  • auto-ish

Moreover, do you think it is worth buying the .net, .org, and .info to lock them down and point them to your main landing page?

Thanks,
MG

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

Register under .com because you're a commercial business looking to sell in the future. That's the end goal. Your brand is recognized by millions because of your .com presence.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Theres a book called "Hello my name is awesome", its from a lady who does nothing but create brand names, I suggest reading it, while the guy above said it's not as important as your product, it's still very important.

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
In the long run (and in many cases, even in the short run), a .com domain is almost always preferred and will work in favour of your business. What's important to remember is it's not for you, its for the business and its consumers. 90% of the time, a .com will always be the right domain, regardless of whether you personally like a .com or not. An example of an outcast is Triangle, the server hosting company. Their domain is "triangle.gs" which is simply a clever way to abbreviate "Triangle Game Servers", the domain ".gs" works in their favour. If you can position words differently and attempt something similar to the example, that'll be sufficient but then again, it's your business and your decision.

Good luck with it.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
The problem with not getting a .com is that you'll leak a ton of traffic to the people who do own your name.com.

It has to be a dotcom in my view. Just add inert words like "the" (best) or "world" or "site" (not as good but you get the point). Another problem with weird tlds is that not everything will recognise it as a link. e.g. skype, mobile phones, sms messages, messenger...etc.

Use this site Domains containing "softwarecompany" | Lean Domain Search to find a suitable prefix or suffix and get your .com. Whatever you do don't search for it on godaddy. They'll see you searching and if you don't buy it on the spot from them all of a sudden it'll be a "premium" name. It's been argued that that's bullshit but it's happened to me several times. I use namecheap and have for over 15 years.

Last edited:

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
The problem with no getting a .com is that you'll leak a ton of traffic to the people who do own your name.com. Has to be a dotcom in my view. Just add inert words like "the" (best) or "world" or "site" (not as good but you get the point). Another problem with weird tlds is that not everything will recognise it as a link. e.g. skype, mobile phones, sms messages, messenger...etc.

Use this site Domains containing "softwarecompany" | Lean Domain Search to find a suitable prefix or suffix and get your .com. Whatever you do don't search for it on godaddy. They'll see you searching and if you don't buy it on the spot from them all of a sudden it'll be a "premium" name. It's been argued that that's bullshit but it's happened to me several times. I use namecheap and have for over 15 years.
Wow this is exactly what I needed. Double like.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Da#n!t. The Domain Name Squatters are many - they blot out the sun!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.