The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Society's Failure

Daniel Hickey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 28, 2016
I'm 18 years old and I before I knew about the Fastlane I was living a Sidewalker's life with a Slow Laner's mindset. It's the way I knew, it's the only way anybody had told me to go. Unfortunately, it's the way society tells all young people to go. I think society has tainted our (us youngins) definition of responsibility. I've noticed many other people like me, my friends, my peers in school, we define responsibility as having a career, paying bills, and having a mortgage. Society has taught us to believe that true responsibility was to wait until we were older and more "educated". When we're young, people doubt our abilities and tell us we're not "mature" enough to "understand" and eventually we let them convince us. And we wait for responsibility. We wait for life to come to us. Just like everyone else. We wait for our designated, predestined time to shine. It's time for society to stop suppressing all the different meanings of responsibility. Let us define our responsibility, and support it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted35442

I'm 18 years old and I before I knew about the Fastlane I was living a Sidewalker's life with a Slow Laner's mindset. It's the way I knew, it's the only way anybody had told me to go. Unfortunately, it's the way society tells all young people to go. I think society has tainted our (us youngins) definition of responsibility. I've noticed many other people like me, my friends, my peers in school, we define responsibility as having a career, paying bills, and having a mortgage. Society has taught us to believe that true responsibility was to wait until we were older and more "educated". When we're young, people doubt our abilities and tell us we're not "mature" enough to "understand" and eventually we let them convince us. And we wait for responsibility. We wait for life to come to us. Just like everyone else. We wait for our designated, predestined time to shine. It's time for society to stop suppressing all the different meanings of responsibility. Let us define our responsibility, and support it.
Interestingly our generation, or a small subset of it, is slowly waking up to this. 50 years ago, quitting a cushy corporate job to work for yourself was far less a phenomenon than today. All I can say is, being on the other side of the interviewing table is only getting more rewarding and couldn't imagine going back to working for someone else.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Interestingly our generation, or a small subset of it, is slowly waking up to this. 50 years ago, quitting a cushy corporate job to work for yourself was far less a phenomenon than today. All I can say is, being on the other side of the interviewing table is only getting more rewarding and couldn't imagine going back to working for someone else.

I'm not too sure of that. Last I checked there are twice as many people per capita are going to college today when compared to the 1980's. That's why people (especially the younger generation) are trying to increase minimum wage instead of economic output/productivity. Most jobs that didn't require a degree in the past do now because there's too many people looking for high wage work so employers can raise requirements.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Welcome to the Fastlane. Glad you have the fire in your belly.

There are a lot of ways responsibility can be defined. One can be responsible for an action. One can make independent decisions. One can have control of a situation. One can get of of their parent's house and support themselves while making their way in life.

I hope all of your rant is not just hot air, I hope you impress and amaze the world. Show us your version of responsibility. I look forward to it. Good luck.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

awwwww u figured it out 4 years before me! :p
good job!

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Well there has to be people who work or many businesses couldn’t thrive. And indeed there are many people who are happy doing as such. George from of mice and men. "I could go get a job an' work, an' no trouble. No mess at all, and when the end of the month come I could take my fifty bucks and go into town and get whatever I want. Why, I could stay in a cathouse all night. I could eat any place I want, hotel or any place, and order any damn thing I could think of. An' I could do all that every damn month. Get a gallon of whisky, or set in a pool room and play cards or shoot pool." For many the risk isn't something they want and there’s nothing wrong with that. Just be thankful you found your path and welcome to the world of an entrepreneur!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
It's time for society to stop suppressing all the different meanings of responsibility. Let us define our responsibility, and support it.
No.

The way you wrote this gives the control to someone out side of you. If you wait for society to let you do anything....you'll be stuck where you are your entire life.

You are, and have always been, and always will be...in control of where you are in life.

Congratulations, you've woken up...now take control of your life and make a decision of where you are going to go now.

Daniel Hickey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 28, 2016
No.

The way you wrote this gives the control to someone out side of you. If you wait for society to let you do anything....you'll be stuck where you are your entire life.

You are, and have always been, and always will be...in control of where you are in life.

Congratulations, you've woken up...now take control of your life and make a decision of where you are going to go now.
You seem to have misinterpreted. I am not trying to give society any control at all. I am simply stating that BECAUSE of society's control, so many people miss the opportunity to start out young. And I'm already past the waiting point, I don't, nor will I ever wait for society to "approve". I just wish society wouldn't mask responsibility so more people like me would come out of the cracks and contribute to the world instead of contributing to just their own lives.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I'm not too sure of that. Last I checked there are twice as many people per capita are going to college today when compared to the 1980's. That's why people (especially the younger generation) are trying to increase minimum wage instead of economic output/productivity. Most jobs that didn't require a degree in the past do now because there's too many people looking for high wage work so employers can raise requirements.

Exactly, then they don't want to spend time and effort into areas that are actually in high demand and good pay like computer/it or engineering because it's such a pain in the a$$ to learn in the first place, so it's much easier for people of my generation to look for handouts. Just look at how many young people come on this forum, and the first thing they say in their intro post is "I have a 4 year degree in a field that I can't find work with over $50k in debt"......

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
No.

No, it's time for society to stop suppressing all the different meanings of responsibility. Let us define our responsibility, and support it. It's good that some of us are waking up, but society is really trying to F*ck with me and I have no control over it. Society can invade your home, put your own children against you, brainwash you scrupulously to believe that " hey it's normal, hey it's a free world". I'm with you @Daniel Hickey, F*ck society and their idiotic beliefs they try to impose on us.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Its awesome that you're thinking this way at 18. Don't stop.

One word of caution. Its really easy at 18 to think that you know everything. Mainly because you don't know what you don't know. The antidote to that is humility. Approach everything from an attitude of 'there's always more that I can learn,' and 'let me find someone better than me that can advise me here.' Humility will save you from a lot of stupid mistakes. I should note that at 41, humility is just as important for me, too.

Humility + the 'lets redefine responsibility' ideas you talk about above will let you find what you're really good at, and make a ton of money off of it. That combination will also keep you away from things that will bankrupt you.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
You do have control

Everyone thinks they have control until they realize they were being fooled. You didn't bring yourself into this world. You don't control when or how you will die. Why would you believe that you always have control over your life?

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Everyone thinks they have control until they realize they were being fooled. You didn't bring yourself into this world. You don't control when or how you will die. Why would you believe that you always have control over your life?

Because there are far more controllable things than everyone thinks. Saying and living like you are not in control is half way into taking what you can control for uncontrollable.

Now let me go back to my medium wage job, because only the rich or lucky can get rich and I have no control over that, I'm just unlucky.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Society has always been the issue with civilization. It has been that way since the early years of the world.

Most of what we know has been shoved into our minds since childbirth. Our entire existence is based upon belief systems that we hold. These lead to automatic responses for everything we do.

A review of these belief systems will help us to understand our world a lot better.

Good for you for recognizing one piece. Society is not to blame though. We can benefit by learning how to work around it though.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015

If society was indeed in control, then everyone would end up exactly the same. However, that's not the case.

There are plenty of young millionaires that made it. Now ask yourself? Why are they different than you?

The answer as rough as it may be to hear is because they don't/didn't have these self limiting beliefs. They don't/didn't care what the world told them was right, acceptable or the norm. They were mavericks! They blazed their own trail.

And you know what: You can do the exact same thing. YOU ARE IN CONTROL of the decisions you make, of the things you believe, of the effort you put forth.

Once you take 100% accountability for your life and your future, the world opens up to you. You can do or be anything you want.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
If society was indeed in control, then everyone would end up exactly the same. However, that's not the case.

There are plenty of young millionaires that made it. Now ask yourself? Why are they different than you?

The answer as rough as it may be to hear is because they don't/didn't have these self limiting beliefs. They don't/didn't care what the world told them was right, acceptable or the norm. They were mavericks! They blazed their own trail.

And you know what: You can do the exact same thing. YOU ARE IN CONTROL of the decisions you make, of the things you believe, of the effort you put forth.

Once you take 100% accountability for your life and your future, the world opens up to you. You can do or be anything you want.

Thanks, tomorrow I will go out and jerk off in the middle of the street to support prostate cancer. I will put a lot of effort into not getting caught. I also strongly believe in Scientology and the demon lord Chtulu. You don't have a problem?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
You don't have control over society, you're correct. But once you "wake up" you have control over your reaction to the repeated attempts at brainwashing.

Sure, you can't control the "feelthebern" clowns, but you can ignore them.

You can't control when you die? Sure you can. You can jump out into traffic, that's exerting control. Or you can do everything you can to mitigate known risks of premature death (obesity, etc.) and hope for the best.

Why are you so concerned with society? why all the angst over it?

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
You don't have control over society, you're correct. But once you "wake up" you have control over your reaction to the repeated attempts at brainwashing.

Sure, you can't control the "feelthebern" clowns, but you can ignore them.

You can't control when you die? Sure you can. You can jump out into traffic, that's exerting control. Or you can do everything you can to mitigate known risks of premature death (obesity, etc.) and hope for the best.

Why are you so concerned with society? why all the angst over it?

Because I am tired to be told to worship homosexuals and transgenders, tired of all the idiotic myths and misconceptions about life and purpose, I am sick and tired of the pretentious and greedy being glorified and voluntary simplicity being ridiculed. I don't F*cking want an app for everything and by the way stop looking at your F*cking cellphone for one second and look at me like I am a human being and not a pop-up on your screen. Stop saying the word hashtag. Stop F*cking improving and updating everything. My message to society is can we just F*cking hit pause for like 2 decades and enjoy what we have? Nooooooooo, we gotta produce, produce, hire, fire, go go go. The spreadsheets, call support! Kim Kardashian is pregnant? Why the F*ck would I care, isn't everyone famous today anyways?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Because I am tired to be told to worship homosexuals and transgenders, tired of all the idiotic myths and misconceptions about life and purpose, I am sick and tired of the pretentious and greedy being glorified and voluntary simplicity being ridiculed. I don't F*cking want an app for everything and by the way stop looking at your F*cking cellphone for one second and look at me like I am a human being and not a pop-up on your screen. Stop saying the word hashtag. Stop F*cking improving and updating everything. My message to society is can we just F*cking hit pause for like 2 decades and enjoy what we have? Nooooooooo, we gotta produce, produce, hire, fire, go go go. The spreadsheets, call support! Kim Kardashian is pregnant? Why the F*ck would I care, isn't everyone famous today anyways?

You having a bad day? Seem a little angry.

I thought this was a business forum and business is about growing, improving, and optimizing. Not sure what the problem is.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
You having a bad day? Seem a little angry.

I thought this was a business forum and business is about growing, improving, and optimizing. Not sure what the problem is.

Yeah you're right, I was just invited to spread some random anger and I did. I'm good now.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015

Move your a$$ to some desolate part of the world where they don't have all the stuff that you hate so much. Problem solved.

Look, everyone knows that control is an illusion in the sense you are referring to. You could get killed tomorrow walking your doggy. Who gives a shit?!?

However, every problem you stated is affecting YOU! You are making societies "problems" yours by how you react to it.

You don't want to be told to worship transgenders and homosexuals? - Don't tune in to the people who tell you that!
Tired of idiotic myths about whatever... Don't read, listen or engage in that.
Don't give two shits about Kardasians, don't pay attention to that.

Pretty much everything you stated I wholeheartedly agree with, the difference is I don't let that shit bother me. YOU clearly do. And therein lies your choice.

So, pontificate away and keep claiming everything someones fault other than your own if that somehow makes you feel validated.

However, I (choose) not to let that garbage have control over my life!

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Move your a$$ to some desolate part of the world where they don't have all the stuff that you hate so much. Problem solved.

Look, everyone knows that control is an illusion in the sense you are referring to. You could get killed tomorrow walking your doggy. Who gives a shit?!?

However, every problem you stated is affecting YOU! You are making societies "problems" yours by how you react to it.

You don't want to be told to worship transgenders and homosexuals? - Don't tune in to the people who tell you that!
Tired of idiotic myths about whatever... Don't read, listen or engage in that.
Don't give two shits about Kardasians, don't pay attention to that.

Pretty much everything you stated I wholeheartedly agree with, the difference is I don't let that shit bother me. YOU clearly do. And therein lies your choice.

So, pontificate away and keep claiming everything someones fault other than your own if that somehow makes you feel validated.

However, I (choose) not to let that garbage have control over my life!

Nice post, however don't mistake me for someone who is trying to change society for I too pretend that none of that shit bothers me.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Nice post, however don't mistake me for someone who is trying to change society for I too pretend that none of that shit bothers me.

buddy, if you were truly working on your fastlane, ur brain won't have room to be bothered.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
buddy, if you were truly working on your fastlane, ur brain won't have room to be bothered.

Why are you working on your "fastlane" in the first place if you are okay with society. If it doesn't bother you then why are you grinding away your time until you can come out of your cocoon and not have to actually be a cog in the wheel anymore, or a ghost in the machine (slave to dogma), or a social insurance number. To be able to say "F*ck society", I am independent and virtually self-sufficient. I thought that was one of the main reason beside wanting to create value no?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Why are you working on your "fastlane" in the first place if you are okay with society. If it doesn't bother you then why are you grinding away your time until you can come out of your cocoon and not have to actually be a cog in the wheel anymore, or a ghost in the machine, or a social insurance number. To be able to say "F*ck society", I am independent and virtually self-sufficient. I thought that was one of the main reason beside wanting to create value no?

Yes I do fastlane partly because i don't wanna be a cog, true.
Have you ever seen a cog pop out of a machine? It takes a lot of shaking around, a massive amount of effort, while all the other cogs are still doing their thing around you.
You can't touch those other cogs during your escape, they can only watch you vibrate your way out and that's all you can really do to inspire, through your actions!

anyways lol... when i said "not bothered" i meant i just don't have the time or energy to care anymore cause im so goddamn busy! my mind is fully occupied with my life and my goals!

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Yes I do fastlane partly because i don't wanna be a cog, true.
Have you ever seen a cog pop out of a machine? It takes a lot of shaking around, a massive amount of effort, while all the other cogs are still doing their thing around you.
You can't touch those other cogs during your escape, they can only watch you vibrate your way out and that's all you can really do to inspire, through your actions!

anyways lol... when i said "not bothered" i meant i just don't have the time or energy to care anymore cause im so goddamn busy! my mind is fully occupied with my life and my goals!

I understand. Also when I speak of society I'm really talking about general influence spread over the media, word of mouth (people repeat even the stupid shit that they hear unfortunately).

What movies do people go see? The ones that are at the box office.
What songs do people listen to? The ones that play on the radio over and over and over.
What form of art do people succomb to? Absurdity, memes, gifs, porn parodies

Eventually, no matter how deep we put our head in the sand. At one point we are subject to the influence of movies, music, art, culture, religion, institutions (nobel prize, harvard, United Nations top comittee, facebook). The rest of the influence comes from the corporations.

Society (goverment, parents, one global consciousness) creates a slow inception of the idea that you must X... and then Y but God forbid don't do Z, ever
Movies, music, art, culture, religion, institutions ---> Nourish the idea

When you come to make a decision. You believe that you have enough information to make a valid choice and not biased one. But all that "information" is not information anymore, it's poison that tastes like gummy bears.

For example:

Society: Eat meat regularly, meat contains protein it's good for you
Society: Proteins are good for you, it's proven by science
Society: Meat can give you cancer
Society: Take heavy radiation to kill cancer
Society: No, Samir Chachoua says that cancer and aids can be killed with alternative treatment to radiation
And then media, corporations, goverment spread the propaganda to the general public (society): This is madness, cancer and aids can only be cured through FDA medicine/treatment (i.e shit that WE declare legal)
Society: Ok but when is game of thrones back on. The Steelers got robbed!! Wtf Myley Cyrus!! That's outrageous.. society is brainwashing us.. Hey halooween, hurrray!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.