The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Social Media For The Most Boring Product Ever?

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Hi guys,

Im 21 and started doing social media for my step dad's company. He sells ink and toner at a very cheap rate.

We're doing very well and have some great customers. One thing though...

We have no online presence whatsoever.

I've been charged to develop the online aspect of this business.

I started a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.

I want to build it up and truly start selling thanks to social media and ads but I kind of don't know where to start...

Any tips?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Who are your best customers what do your customer avatars look like?

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Don't go on social Media.
Go where your customers are.
If they are on Social Media, go there.

If they are on facebook, do they want to buy recoursses for their company? Or forget their company and communicate with their friends?

Try to find a place where your customers are actively thinking about their business. Maybe Linked In or Xing?

Like @miked_d said, a goog landingpage + fitting adwords ads could work wonders.

Gesendet von meinem XT1032 mit Tapatalk

TonyFish6379

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Feb 27, 2016
Kuwait
Sorry guys but I disagree (mostly) with all the responses... IMO.. Adwords is great.

Ask yourself this question - who is NOT on social media?

Everyone is on social media.
So, the people you are trying to reach are already there. You just need a creative way to get in front of them.

You want views - so do something view worthy! Everyone my age or older remembers the cliche "crazy Eddie" slashing prices!
Guy in a tie with messy hair yelling at the camera about slashing prices on everything in stock. Pulls out a chainsaw and starts mowing through whatever is in front of him.... lol.

Hell, I'd watch and share a video of some person redoing a crazy video like that.
Chainsaw through a few toner cartridges on film and see if you don't get immediate response.
Shock Marketing brother! [emoji57]

The big issue at hand is - ink and toner doesn't have a large appeal for social media - yet....
Why don't you blaze the trail and change that?

Just my two cents [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Personally, I'd try to sell to the people who already want what you're selling, and are actively looking for it at that precise moment in time - with credit card in hand.

I consider this better than low hanging fruit. I consider this as apples already falling out of the tree.

Put your baskets under the tree and catch those apples that are already falling. If there are none falling, then so be it - no falling apples, no clicks, no spend. It fails safe.

I would advise putting baskets under the tree before you go and shake the tree to get more apples to fall out - lest you just get more apples to fall into your competitors' baskets.

Don't generate more demand for your products and services until you're fulfilling the demand that's already there.

Also... if you can't sell to people who're actively searching for what you're selling, with credit card in hand, then how will you sell to the tire kickers?

Build a profitable sales funnel with people actively searching for what you're selling, before sending lookie-loos down the funnel.

Saying all that, if you really need some apples for that apple tart you're making, why not start with the apples already in your basket?

R + R = Profit

Repeat Business plus Referrals = Profit

Sell to people who've already bought from you, and actively peruse referrals from them before you try and get new customers.

(And please bid on your brand name on Google so competitors can't hijack your Repeat Business and Referrals.)

Fix the backend of your sales funnel.

Increase the AOV and customer LTV, and you'll be able to invest more into getting new customers.

That's just smart business.

You may want to check out posts linked to in my signature. The first bolded radio interview might help.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Sorry guys but I disagree (mostly) with all the responses... IMO.. Adwords is great.

So, the people you are trying to reach are already there. You just need a creative way to get in front of them.

You want views - so do something view worthy! Everyone my age or older remembers the cliche "crazy Eddie" slashing prices!
Guy in a tie with messy hair yelling at the camera about slashing prices on everything in stock. Pulls out a chainsaw and starts mowing through whatever is in front of him.... lol.

Hell, I'd watch and share a video of some person redoing a crazy video like that.
Chainsaw through a few toner cartridges on film and see if you don't get immediate response.

The big issue at hand is - ink and toner doesn't have a large appeal for social media - yet....

Agree.

Razors are a boring product. And we all know how the dollar shave club story ended.

With a boring product it's almost easier to stand out and push your USP.

Actually, what is your USP? Price? Quality? Service? Why would I buy ink from you and not a competitor? (These questions aren't rhetorical)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Don't forget Amazon is one of the biggest search engines in the world... maybe the biggest when it comes to product searches with commercial intent.

Don't make the mistake of reaching for the high hanging fruit first.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I did social media out of college for a company that sold pregnancy tests. I started and grew our social media and I posted pictures and videos of people dipping a stick into urine. Trust me-- anything can have an edge if you do it correctly.

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Who are your best customers what do your customer avatars look like?

My avatar is people around 25-55 who can purchase ink and toner for their offices. Ideally it would be the purchasing agent of a firm that uses a shit ton of ink...

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Don't go on social Media.
Go where your customers are.
If they are on Social Media, go there.

If they are on facebook, do they want to buy recoursses for their company? Or forget their company and communicate with their friends?

Try to find a place where your customers are actively thinking about their business. Maybe Linked In or Xing?

Like @miked_d said, a goog landingpage + fitting adwords ads could work wonders.

Gesendet von meinem XT1032 mit Tapatalk

I want to develop a brand on all social media platforms for this company. Staples is our competitor and they have social media on every platform. But I will definitely check out that post. Thanks!

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016

Now, we're talking! My thoughts exactly! Nobody makes interesting videos about ink and toner so shock marketing might be the way! Also, I agree with what you're saying "Who isn't on social media?" Everyone is. That's why I want to take advantage of all social media platforms! Great advice!

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Personally, I'd try to sell to the people who already want what you're selling, and are actively looking for it at that precise moment in time - with credit card in hand.

I consider this better than low hanging fruit. I consider this as apples already falling out of the tree.

Put your baskets under the tree and catch those apples that are already falling. If there are none falling, then so be it - no falling apples, no clicks, no spend. It fails safe.

I would advise putting baskets under the tree before you go and shake the tree to get more apples to fall out - lest you just get more apples to fall into your competitors' baskets.

Don't generate more demand for your products and services until you're fulfilling the demand that's already there.

Also... if you can't sell to people who're actively searching for what you're selling, with credit card in hand, then how will you sell to the tire kickers?

Build a profitable sales funnel with people actively searching for what you're selling, before sending lookie-loos down the funnel.

Saying all that, if you really need some apples for that apple tart you're making, why not start with the apples already in your basket?

R + R = Profit

Repeat Business plus Referrals = Profit

Sell to people who've already bought from you, and actively peruse referrals from them before you try and get new customers.

(And please bid on your brand name on Google so competitors can't hijack your Repeat Business and Referrals.)

Fix the backend of your sales funnel.

Increase the AOV and customer LTV, and you'll be able to invest more into getting new customers.

That's just smart business.

You may want to check out posts linked to in my signature. The first bolded radio interview might help.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Wow man, I'm going to be honest with you. A lot of that went over my head. But I gotta say one thing, it sure as hell sounds like you know what the F*ck you're talking about!

I didn't really get the baskets and apples analogy but upon further analysis it seems like what you're saying is that I should optimize on my current sales process before moving on to focusing on social media...

The thing is I don't really take care of that aspect of this business. I just want to focus 100% of my attention on social media for 2 reasons:

1) I suck at everything else (i think)

2) We have no presence whatsoever on social media.

What do you think...

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Agree.

Razors are a boring product. And we all know how the dollar shave club story ended.

With a boring product it's almost easier to stand out and push your USP.

Actually, what is your USP? Price? Quality? Service? Why would I buy ink from you and not a competitor? (These questions aren't rhetorical)

That is funny! I literally just used the dollar shave club analogy when talking to my step dad today!

So I see we're also on the same page!

I would have to say our USP is price, service, free shipping and often times: next day delivery!

I wish we had a cooler USP. I want to develop our brand into something awesome...

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Don't forget Amazon is one of the biggest search engines in the world... maybe the biggest when it comes to product searches with commercial intent.

Don't make the mistake of reaching for the high hanging fruit first.

So what are you saying? Use Amazon to sell our product?

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
I did social media out of college for a company that sold pregnancy tests. I started and grew our social media and I posted pictures and videos of people dipping a stick into urine. Trust me-- anything can have an edge if you do it correctly.

That cracks me up! Yes, this goes well with the dollar shave club analogy...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My avatar is people around 25-55 who can purchase ink and toner for their offices. Ideally it would be the purchasing agent of a firm that uses a shit ton of ink...
Your market is *not* a demographic (people aged 25-55).

Your market is the people with a relevant "demonstrated cashflow" (purchasing agents for companies that use a lot of ink).

I'm not a fan of selling via a USP.

I'm a fan of selling to people who are desperate to buy.

As per this thread:

Find your starving crowd. Sell to them first before you try to sell to people who're not starving.

Ideally, get in front of the starving crowd and have them charge into your arms.

My advice is always to help the people in motion before helping the people sat on the sofa.

As per this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So what are you saying? Use Amazon to sell our product?
Not quite.

Consider using Amazon to get new *customers*.

R + R = Profit

A Repeat Buyer is a Customer (a person with a custom of buying from you).

Can you get new "buyers" from Amazon, and turn them into customers?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow man, I'm going to be honest with you. A lot of that went over my head. But I gotta say one thing, it sure as hell sounds like you know what the F*ck you're talking about!

I didn't really get the baskets and apples analogy but upon further analysis it seems like what you're saying is that I should optimize on my current sales process before moving on to focusing on social media...

Darnit. I kinda liked the apples analogy. Maybe I have to go back to the drawing board...

Here's a few other threads that you can read. Drop your takeaways into those threads or come back here and let us know what you take from them:
  1. The biggest benefit of AdWords
  2. Are you only buying traffic?
  3. The most important formula in business
  4. The online buying cycle
  5. What's better than low hanging fruit?
  6. Please bid on your brand name
  7. The biggest reason websites suck

The thing is I don't really take care of that aspect of this business. I just want to focus 100% of my attention on social media for 2 reasons:

1) I suck at everything else (i think)

2) We have no presence whatsoever on social media.

What do you think...

What's your goal?

To "do" social media, or to generate more sales for your step-dad's company?

I'm not saying to NOT do social media. I'm just saying to get your goals right (WHAT you're trying to do, and WHY), and then work out HOW to achieve them.

This thread might help:

TonyFish6379

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Feb 27, 2016
Kuwait
Darnit. I kinda liked the apples analogy. Maybe I have to go back to the drawing board...

Here's a few other threads that you can read. Drop your takeaways into those threads or come back here and let us know what you take from them:
  1. The biggest benefit of AdWords
  2. Are you only buying traffic?
  3. The most important formula in business
  4. The online buying cycle
  5. What's better than low hanging fruit?
  6. Please bid on your brand name
  7. The biggest reason websites suck

What's your goal?

To "do" social media, or to generate more sales for your step-dad's company?

I'm not saying to NOT do social media. I'm just saying to get your goals right (WHAT you're trying to do, and WHY), and then work out HOW to achieve them.

This thread might help:

Amazing collection of threads and again - Amazing discussions. Thank you Sir!

Damn I love being among like minded heavy hitters!

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Andy and much of the advice here is exactly right. Optimise what you have with your sales backend, add google adwords and email marketing and you've got a solid business humming along.

Re-market strategically to people who have bought before. For example, if you know the average life of an ink cartridge is about 6 months, then setup reminders to contact someone 6 months after purchasing, or even 5 months.

As to social media / content marketing, you need to think laterally. Loved what @becks22 said haha!

Think different, okay so people buy ink and toner, what do they do with it?

They print. Print what?
  • Photos
  • Posters
  • Business Slide Decks
  • Artwork
  • Chore Lists & Rosters
Etc. If you're sure of your type of demographic then focus on that - e.g. business people.
Okay, now what do business people specifically print?

Then once you've got the general topics in hand, start educating them.

Run a series - e.g.

Getting blue streaks? Here's 5 things that could be wrecking your next business presentation!

Top 10 ways to optimise the efficiency of your ink and toner cartridges and SAVE $$$

Become a trusted source of inside information, the things big printer companies don't want you to know!

Then, use strategic paid advertising to boost media.

But, AdWords really is the low-hanging fruit here. Especially for a commodity like ink.

Also, study direct-response marketing (DRM) for offline media. Office buildings are great for it, I recently had my hair cut somewhere i'd never normally go because they sent a coupon to our office. I'll probably go back because they did such a great job. That shit works.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Some instagram tips: the whole graphic design/ abstract art niche is huge on there. There are tons of influencers and top hashtags. I see a huge amount of potential there.

Think about it this way-- you could have the best marketing letter or logo design in the world but it will look crappy if you have streaky ink down the middle..

You might not have a super sexy product but you have something that people need and that is all it comes down to. Sales for a non sexy product is better than having a sexy product with no sales

Luis6

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 13, 2017
Mexico
Hello. Go to social media but i have to tell you, to success you have to be crazy and passionate about inks, post meme about some funny situation with inks, post discounts or a video showing prints from inks you sell and competition's ink. In other words, you have to "think ink, eat ink, be ink." As you said, the product by itself is "boring", make it fun and great that people will want to buy from you.
I apologize, english is not my native language.
Saludos and best of success

G

Guest34764

Go around a popular city with a person color blasted by ink, make sure there's your name on the person's shirt or something and just have them walk for a few hours around the city.Boom, social media presence.

If the product is super boring like ink, find a way to gather large amounts of attention by doing ridiculous things with it.Any attention is good attention.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
You could create content around inkblots, asking people what they see in ink blots could turn into some funny videos or viral images.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.