The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So who met RK?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Amen to that.

Back to more profitable (and friendly) subjects! :smxA:

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
That being said, in my opinion the comments you make about RK are WAY off. I'd suggest you do a bit more research:

1. RK advocates traditional education, and repeatedly says he *loves* all of the "S" people (like lawyers and accts) in his life. He says "I never was a smart guy. I hire these smart people to work for me."

Okay, I didn't realize that. I had the impression he was rather against it.

2. You have no idea or personal knowledge of how RK treated his biological father financially, right? So why comment on this as if you do know?

You are right. I shouldn't judge someone if I haven't been in their shoes. Actually, I even wrote that specifically on another forum, "Don't judge someone unless you've been in their shoes," that makes me a hypocrit here :bgh:

3. Your criticisms of corporate advantages are spoken from the eyes of someone who has never used corporate structure. So why comment on something you know nothing about?

You are right.

Given your comments on another thread, I find your calling RK a liar surprising.

Just wondering, which comments?

Sorry to be so blunt. But I have a very low tolerance for misinformed criticism and contradictory spew.:puke:

:iagree: Yeah don't sweat it, you see someone say something stupid or contradictory (as I did), don't hesitate to point it out.

Yes Wheels, lets not turn this thread into a "RK is a liar, Rich Dad didn't exist" debate!!! :smxE:

We've done that gazillion times over on the other board and I really don't want to do it here

The John T Reed vs Kiyosaki thing is .... well ... its

:beatdeadhorse5: and most of us hate the topic.

No, no, I wasn't trying to turn it into that. Also, being completely honest here, but I had no idea that that whole Reed versus Kiyosaki story had been beaten to death already, sorry about that. Also had no idea most people hated the topic, again sorry.

WheelsRCool ---> :smx4:

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
:boxing_smiley: I love criticism =) Like Wheels, I criticize RK even though I have never met him, but I've heard about him secondhand. I do like to praise him, too. I guess I'm just beating the dead horse here still :beatdeadhorse5: I hope PETA doesn't frequent this forum :-o

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
WheelsRCool-

Being able to recognize your mistakes and say, "I screwed up", is one of the hallmarks of a successful businessperson.

It took me *way* too long to see that.

Before I started taking responsibility for my screw-ups, I was more interested in blaming someone else. I wasted a lot of time and energy on that.

So good going, WheelsRCool.

My compliments on your ability to see that.

It will help you be successful.

-Russ H.

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
I was a big fan of RK which originally brought me to his website years ago. His first two books are great; fastlane material.

However what ultimately turned me off to RK (and his personality without actually meeting him) was an article in Forbes Small Business during the housing boom when they interviewed him. In the article, RK said he "prayed" everyday that the housing boom would bust so he can start making money again in Real Estate. He alluded that with all the ameteurs in the game, he is out ... and prays for a housing bust. I wish I could find that article.

It put me off for 2 reasons ...

1) RK prays for a real estate bust so he can make money? How about praying for our soldiers in Iraq, or for world peace, or for the homeless -- instead, he prays for a housing bust which will hurt most Americans.

IMHO, praying for other's people's pain so you can profit is sacrileges and borders on evil.

2) His books say real estate, real estate, real estate. He tells his book readers to invest in real estate, yet in the article he confesses "he's out" of the market. So his books got all the amateurs in the game, which forced him out. Sounds hypocritical to me.

After this article, I immediately lost respect for the man as a man, not that man as an author. I seemed that RK's number #1 god was money.

We're all here to make a little more money but if your world is ruled by it and your integrity and empathy for your fellow man is forsaken, you've lost regardless how much $$ you make.

Again, above is an opinion on what RK has said and quoted in interviews. A judgment. Those who know him personally might just say its all an act, and the guy is a saint.

I remember reading that article. In the article photo, he was standing between his Bentley and Porsche.

I also found the "I pray to the god of real estate crashing" comment a bit odd. In that article he also stated that the RDPD brand has brought in over $1 Billion worldwide, which is probably the biggest reason he's no longer in real estate.

ProInvestor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 15, 2007
Australia
I have seen Robert Kiyosaki but never really meet him (in terms of more than saying hello, etc) this was v. early in RD history.

RK is a former marine and many former marines are usually seen as 'heavy' individuals.
I remember reading something back when he was still running his Velcro Wallet business and he was head of sales (my guess, but he was top performer at Xerox, so think educated guess), and apparently 'bob' was not too kind to the salesman if they didn't perform to the expected level. It was basically sell or be killed ;>.

As for him not caring about people, I think he still does - he is still running RD and still talks about it's mission. However as he has aged and had to take back the RD organization again you can see there is some frustration.

As for the RE market crashing I think the attitude is a similar feeling when one herd that Paris Hilton was not getting anything from the $60M Hilton sale. I'll admit a faint simile crossed my lips (am I a bad person now?).

Also I think he is getting more and more angry that not more action is being taken by people to look after themselves and there is more and more crap (read lies) that are being thrown out by fin. planners and Gov, which in turn creates more frustration and this time it's at the system (which only changes when there is a massive crises).

"which is probably the biggest reason he's no longer in real estate"
-> He still is.

Mutt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 7, 2007
"Slimeballs" (rehabbers), "Rejects, Total Losers" (flippers), and "F*cking Losers" (anyone who spends any time at all on the internet, or anyone who invests and does not do it EXACTLY the way RK would do it).

Losers was a common theme. Everyone who wasn't RK, with few exceptions, was a LOSER (in a loud voice).

There were more. I didn't write them down. Steve O told me he had to leave the room a couple of times b/c he was getting so mad-- RK was insulting EVERYONE.

I was in shock, as here was a guy who had changed my life with his writing. I am in much better financial shape today because of what I've learned from his books.

I have a HUGE amount of respect for what he has done, and what he has written.

I have never met the man...but I wonder if he was "pushing you out of the nest". Perhaps he is wise and knows that he has nothing left to offer you. Maybe he thinks that the only way you will become more successful is to stop studying under him.

Just an idea that allows everyone to save face and move on.

-Bobby Knight :smxB:

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
I am not suprised he has that feeling about the net. His staff has often mentioned he is computer illiterate.
Anyone ever wonder what would of happened if RK was smarter.
You would of all been told his richdad was a lawyer and we should get good grades and become lawyers too !

I think his appreciation comment is really weird considering he told people on the forum to invest in gold.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
And he said invest in oil when it was $40 a barrel.

Now it's what, $80?

Good advice, eh? :)

-Russ H.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I believe that spidey is here under the name of venom.

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
Hi Kurt
Yes its Spidey wearing the dark suit !
Thanks for the compliment.

Occaisonaly I try to stick up with the guy over on the retire early forum, but much of what he writes doesnt help his cause. I guess what he says isnt much better.

I really think Rk;s way of making money is branding. Burleys book is so similar to Richdad poordad its not funny. Except he calls things doodah's
Burley was in insurance and often say people that had the big hat and the no cattle.
People who when asked about their networth would list their "doodah's"
I think the other big ideas in the book were probaly Sharons. Since he always states he slept in accounting.

Plus he was the guy that slept in his car after going broke and from the way it sounds it wasnt a Lambo !!

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I read really fast; I remember reading RK's first book standing in the aisle in Barnes & Noble several years back; I remember that book changed my life; prior to that book I had been seeking the answers on what I needed to do to get rich; that book was an excellent start. Having said that...

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember RK being called a "creature of Amway"...apparently MLM companies promoted his first books hardcore until they were well known? I never researched this and have no desire to...but I do know that RK loves MLM and this disheartens me...same reason I lost respect for Zig Ziglar.

-Jason

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
but I do know that RK loves MLM and this disheartens me...same reason I lost respect for Zig Ziglar.

-Jason
Motivational speakers are in a tough position. If they ignore or are critical of MLM, they are cutting off a potential massive source of business. If Herballife offers to bring Les Brown in to motivate their distributors for $250K, that's tough to turn down. Zig Ziglar, Jim Rohn, Tony Robbin, and most of the top speakers have all worked with network marketing organizations. Also, there have been mlm company owners listed on Forbes 500 richest list, so working with their company could open huge networking opportunities for these speakers.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Never met the man, but I am surprised at this description of his actions. I have worked with several high-end groups and the behavior you describe is not that of the number one man. The number one man is always calm, always in control and he always has a number 2 man to be the bulldog. Maybe RK is just the face for RD maybe he is the number 2 in real life? Maybe he started as number 1 and is now number 2 and it sticks in his throat.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
only time i ever met him was at a book signing in new york. he was very busy with a long line of people waiting for their books to be signed. I thanked him for his book and told him it changed my life and that was it. for all intents and purposes he was my hero.

I spent several hours at kims table chatting and watching all these people come up to her and ask really retarded questions. I was actually laughing several times as person after person came up to her handing her products and information on their opps. quite a few of them looking for address on properties theyve owned.

doing things like that day after day event after event can wear on even the most patient persons nerves.

think about it. everyone saying how great you are how much youve helped them only to have them turn on you when you wont give the answers they are seeking. they want him to tell them exactly what when and how to do things...

I have to say from the tone in this thread. Im glad i didnt spend my money to go to pheonix last year. I am not the crying type but if he would have said those things in my presence I would have told him to go get bent and left then bawled my eyes out...

So i am very happy to say that ive never had any real dealings with him personally and now id just rather keep it this way. I really appreciate his book and how its changed my life. I dont think my respect would survive a true rk encounter!

was it tough love to push people into a different line of thinking... we will never know. Id like to hope it was...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It was an incredible event last year. This incident was a vary small part of the overall time. it amused me gave us all something to joke about.

The information presented last year was great. I was impressed. Some offensive words are not going to ruin my weekend. :cheers:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
for me it wouldnt have been just some offensive words. it would have been way more then that coming from rk. a man who i always respected and admired.

thatd be where my emotion came in. and it most likley would have ruined the entire event for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.