The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SO MUCH SLOWLANE PRESSURE!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
**This thread is for those of you walking the desert of desertion and have been getting massive amounts of slowlane pressure from those around you**

Last night I went out to dinner with my girlfriend and my best friend Dan. Both of them are in grad school, preparing for a lifetime of servitude..

My friend Dan told me about a really cool job his older brother just got, saying that I would be really good at it. I amused him and listened to what he had to say. His brother is a business consultant who basically analyzes and diagnoses internal issues that businesses are having, and draws out action plans to fix it. He gets a VERY comfy salary of $100k/year for doing this.

My friend has noticed I have an eye for finding flaws and opportunities within business (i.e. thinking up good business ideas) and he thinks I would be a great consultant, working 9-5 forever doing this stuff. My girlfriend promptly agreed with Dan, thinking it would be a great opportunity. I held my ground and gave the following response:

"Dang, sounds fun, but he's still trading time for money. Doesn't sound like much fun to me".

Both were pretty confused at this statement, but I cracked a subtle grin, thinking of my Fastlane plan, and how it doesn't intersect with a 9-5 slowlane job forever. I get this kind of slowlane pressure daily, and it is up to me to deflect these statements, and stick the course.

For those of you on this same journey, I salute you, and wish you luck. It's not easy, especially with slowlaners around you, constantly trying to extinguish your internal flame.

Sorry, but my dreams are way too big, they can't be put out. Thank you @MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My friend has noticed I have an eye for finding flaws and opportunities within business (i.e. thinking up good business ideas) and he thinks I would be a great consultant, working 9-5 forever doing this stuff. My girlfriend promptly agreed with Dan, thinking it would be a great opportunity.

You can do this without the job.

Find the customer.
Charge the customer at $200/hour, or whatever is deemed a good value based on the performance.
Hire your consultants $75/hour, or whatever is deemed a good value for their time.

You make $125/hour while solving a business problem while providing a great job to someone.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
My friend has noticed I have an eye for finding flaws and opportunities within business (i.e. thinking up good business ideas) and he thinks I would be a great consultant, working 9-5 forever doing this stuff. My girlfriend promptly agreed with Dan, thinking it would be a great opportunity. I held my ground and gave the following response:

"Dang, sounds fun, but he's still trading time for money. Doesn't sound like much fun to me".

The job doesn't have to be forever. Just view a job as paid training for your long term goals.

Jeff Bezos, who just became the richest man in the world, worked a very high paying slowlane job until he was 30. He was the senior VP (in charge of internet enabled business) of a hedge fund on Wall St. before he started Amazon in 1994.

I have done, and am currently doing, affiliate marketing while working on an actual fastlane eCommerce venture. I also am going to get a 9-5 sales job to pay the bills so I can reinvest my business profits.

I'll be getting paid to learn online sales and phone sales.

The key, in my opinion, is to not get handcuffed to the cushy 100k/yr job or having mentally draining work days that don't allow for focus on your fastlane biz.

I personally wouldn't turn my nose at a 100k/yr job that allows me to view the internal problems of businesses. Especially if I am: in the pre-salary stage of business or haven't yet started a business.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I hear you OP! Im right in the middle of unscripting my life... I gave my employer a 30 day notice and they begged me to stay. I agreed to be flexible as long as they hired my business to manage their online presence when I do quit. So, I'm getting really close to making the leap from employed to self employed, another step in the direction of being an entrepreneur. Meanwhile my girlfriend just got a nice promotion at her corporate job. I asked her if she was excited to be closer to 100k than to 50k... She's like, "Ya but I'm just worried that when we go on vacation I'll have to pay for you." What!?!? I've supported myself since I got my first job at 16. She's just afraid of me not having a job. So Is my entire family.... Truth is it's this disbelief and 'telling me I can't' that is like pouring gas on the fire. I will F*ckin succeed if not only to prove all these motherfuckers wrong!

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
My friend has noticed I have an eye for finding flaws and opportunities within business

I might be wrong, but I've always literally thought that everyone can do this when they are the outside looking in. The problem is not that others can't see flaws in businesses, but that businesses don't have any interest in implementing change because it's easier not to.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I get this kind of slowlane pressure daily, and it is up to me to deflect these statements, and stick the course.

Here's something I learned regarding this.

Something very important: They have no idea what they are doing.

Just take serious note of this.

It appears that they are doing well living that kind of life, but under the hood, it's all for show.

If you've been around A LOT of people, you begin to see through them. I've been around A LOT man. People of all kinds. Styles, personalities, mindsets and status.

If you've been through a lot in life, you already know the drill. Bam bam bam, over and over. Soon enough, you figure it out.

When you gain real experience, you won't even have to dodge this pressure.

Take note of the fact that everybody has to "wing it" somehow.

Some of us just learn how to wing it so well, because we earned it.
--

Having a huge TIME disadvantage claws at your state of mind. It makes you anxious. It stresses you out. It affects your overall performance. FOCUS is literally snagged away from you.

Many of them are followers. If they were true leaders, they would have begun something or at least faced a very real fear.

They are mostly looking at other people to determine what to do.

By the looks of it, you are one of us. And you're telling us what we already know first-hand.

Here's the takeaway.

As long as you can say this and be 100 percent honest with yourself :

"I know what i'm doing."

You're all good.

Of course there's the cheeky, occassional, "What am I doing?" as a response to that pressure. Disregard.

"Even if there are times where I don't know what to do, i'll figure it out. I'll find a way or make one." <--if you have this, you've got it made. This never failed anyone.

Do not ever trust that pressure.

You already know why.

Last edited:

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
**This thread is for those of you walking the desert of desertion and have been getting massive amounts of slowlane pressure from those around you**

Last night I went out to dinner with my girlfriend and my best friend Dan. Both of them are in grad school, preparing for a lifetime of servitude..

My friend Dan told me about a really cool job his older brother just got, saying that I would be really good at it. I amused him and listened to what he had to say. His brother is a business consultant who basically analyzes and diagnoses internal issues that businesses are having, and draws out action plans to fix it. He gets a VERY comfy salary of $100k/year for doing this.

Both were pretty confused at this statement, but I cracked a subtle grin, thinking of my Fastlane plan, and how it doesn't intersect with a 9-5 slowlane job forever. I get this kind of slowlane pressure daily, and it is up to me to deflect these statements, and stick the course.

For those of you on this same journey, I salute you, and wish you luck. It's not easy, especially with slowlaners around you, constantly trying to extinguish your internal flame.

Sorry, but my dreams are way too big, they can't be put out. Thank you @MJ DeMarco

you think you got it bad? my whole family is slowlane, my grandma mom dad sister everyone says GET A JOB GET A JOB GET A JOB i dont want a job is that so bad? i can't wait till i no longer have to financially depend on anyone for anything

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.