The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I Decided to Take a Leap Today...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
So I decided to take a leap today and create a shopify store. I bought a domain for a dollar, setup a google work email account, opened a shopify store, created a facebook store, added products, now what?

Should I start with Google AdWords? Facebook Ads? Wait until I iron out some information in the store first?

It's a dropshipping store that's just importing from aliexpress in a competitive niche.

I have never made it this far (even though it's not very far at all) to starting my own company/website. It's all been wantrepreneur for my whole life and decided today that I should jump.

Any advice would be appreciated..
Thanks all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Just from my personal experience, I would not reccommend dropshipping from Aliexpress.

I tried to go that route and I had some issues, namely quality and delivery speed.

I found it's much better to do the research and look for US manufacturers that will dropship for a fee. Takes care of (most) quality concerns and shipping time is often same day or next day as opposed to 5+, delivery within 4 as opposed to 15+

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Just from my personal experience, I would not reccommend dropshipping from Aliexpress.

I tried to go that route and I had some issues, namely quality and delivery speed.

I found it's much better to do the research and look for US manufacturers that will dropship for a fee. Takes care of (most) quality concerns and shipping time is often same day or next day as opposed to 5+.
Oh really? Yeah I've heard of the long shipping times. I've also offered DHL shipping for a price other than the free shipping.. But okay great, are there any sites like Aliexpress in the US that you'd recommend? Or is it just per supplier basis? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Oh really? Yeah I've heard of the long shipping times. I've also offered DHL shipping for a price other than the free shipping.. But okay great, are there any sites like Aliexpress in the US that you'd recommend? Or is it just per supplier basis? Thanks!

You're much better off just going on a per-supplier basis. More work but worth it. That also completely cuts out any middlemen and you can work out special terms with them once you get to a certain volume point.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
You're much better off just going on a per-supplier basis. More work but worth it. That also completely cuts out any middlemen and you can work out special terms with them once you get to a certain volume point.
For now obviously I'm just reselling others products. Is there a lot of generic products in the US also? Or mainly branded that I may get in trouble for selling?

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
For now obviously I'm just reselling others products. Is there a lot of generic products in the US also? Or mainly branded that I may get in trouble for selling?

Wont get in trouble for reselling. And yes there are alot of generic products here.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Wont get in trouble for reselling. And yes there are alot of generic products here.
What about reselling big brand name products like say for clothing brands, reselling a brand of clothing?

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
What about reselling big brand name products like say for clothing brands, reselling a brand of clothing?

Well you really don't want to create a website/store dedicated to reselling big name brand products.

It's just easier to look for individual brands/suppliers and get approved/work details one-by-one

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Well you really don't want to create a website/store dedicated to reselling big name brand products.

It's just easier to look for individual brands/suppliers and get approved/work details one-by-one
So you want to find people who are trying to start a new brand? And team with then?

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Not sure its a good idea but perhaps to get a few bucks to start off with, find a semi
So I decided to take a leap today and create a shopify store. I bought a domain for a dollar, setup a google work email account, opened a shopify store, created a facebook store, added products, now what?

Should I start with Google AdWords? Facebook Ads? Wait until I iron out some information in the store first?

It's a dropshipping store that's just importing from aliexpress in a competitive niche.

Thanks all!

Not being nosy and wanting to know the type of product you are working on but as an experiment to see if its a viable option or to see if you can drive traffic to your website etc, perhaps as opposed to shipping from china (which i am in favour off btw) how about buying from amazon and posting on your site at a higher price-Not ideal but perhaps it could be an idea to get you into the swing of the whole ecommerce side of things?

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Not sure its a good idea but perhaps to get a few bucks to start off with, find a semi

Not being nosy and wanting to know the type of product you are working on but as an experiment to see if its a viable option or to see if you can drive traffic to your website etc, perhaps as opposed to shipping from china (which i am in favour off btw) how about buying from amazon and posting on your site at a higher price-Not ideal but perhaps it could be an idea to get you into the swing of the whole ecommerce side of things?
Can I put an item from Amazon on my site and when amazon asks just ship directly to the person?

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Can I put an item from Amazon on my site and when amazon asks just ship directly to the person?

Yes I believe you can-buy it as a gift. However I guess you may want to send some promotional compliments slip or something? if not follow up delivery with an email thanking them for their custom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.