The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Smartphone Etiquette .. or lack of it !!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Ok I just feel that I gotta talk about this ...

Apologies if the Mods feel this is in the wrong place but its related to observing the CHOICES people make with using their smartphones these days at inappropriate times with no sense of self awareness.

INCIDNENT 1.

I was invited to be a judge and adjudicate a short play festival. This is to encourage writers out here to foster playwrighting in the UAE.

Everybody volunteered their time, amateur actors met and rehearsed for weeks until the final day came.
I am Sitting center behind the first row. As soon as the lights go down this guy decides to start playing angry birds on his smartphone!
What really pissed me off was i could see the performers people on stage Noticed how rude this guy was being and he had absolutely no self awareness that anything he was doing was in appropriate.
What sort of a person do you have to be to do this????? What sort of a guy chooses to do this , in the most inappropriate time and place?
The other thing was the light coming off from his smartphone was distracting people around him ,so after about 5 minutes of this , i just tapped him on the shoulder and looked at him . He stopped,but very begrudgingly ......

INCIDENT 2

A week later I am at a concert for charity , its pretty rare where i am living right now to listen to a full orchestra ..so I turn up , this orchestra is an orchestra for peace comprised of talented kids . The whole thing is to show the amazing talent of these kids.

We are about 20 minutes into the concert , and this guy walks in late ,finds his seat about 5 seats r from me. Sits down and about 5 minute later his phone rings... it keeps Ringling....
no here's the kicker..instead of turning it off or silencing it : the guy looks at the screen as the phone is ringing,then he TAKES THE CALL.. people all around him are turning and looking and he doesnt even care . He tells the person that he is at a concert, that he will call him in an hour.. and finally ends the call. I am amazed at this kind of behavioral But wait for it .. his phone rings again!.. If i was near him i would have wanted to punch him, lucky he had a few people sitting between us.:cuss:
Needless to say he didn't take that call....

I am just amazed at the choices that people make with their phones.This to me speaks of such a lack or respect, of lack of character , etiquette , no self awareness and selfishness.

I am committed to stop this and call people out when I see their phone behavior as in appropriate.If these people don't get called out on this ,i don't think they will become aware of their selfish actions. it as if by us not stopping this ,we are in away consenting to this sort of idiotic behavior.... It speaks volumes about their personal make up and their character..

I have started to do this in work meetings too now,the culture over here seems to be that there is an unspoken rule that its it is ok to check your phone , or take a call during a meeting...while someone has the floor..
not in my book....if i am speaking and someone is fiddling with their smartphone, or worse takes a call as i am doing a presentation etc ... i just freeze and stop speaking and look at them, but not in an aggressive way ; just neutral...the silence usually brings their attention back to me , and then i carry on..:)

I hope this doesn't come across as too much of a rant, i need to share this! ...but for crying out loud please be smart when you use your smartphone......

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
No, people are pretty much clueless. I was sure it was just here in the US. I totally agree with you though. I usually keep my phone on silent because I don't even like hearing my own phone, so I don't understand.

The company I work for has a 6 day long intro class when people are hired. Recently, we had someone fired during this intro when, during the plant tour, this particular hiree talked on his phone the entire duration.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.