The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Smart farming - growing money by growing super greens and herbs

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
Hey folks, i searched the forum and there doesn't seem to be anyone 'growing' anything for money. I have been researching the smart farming categories and can't help but think of all the land i have available where i live that should be producing money.

Just today visting a local grocery store i stopped at the super greens/sprouts sections and was blown away by some of the prices:
Chines - plastic box container, 10g = $4.09
Basil - plastic box container, 10g = $4.09
Italian parsley, 10g, $4.09

These prices are probably high as if you shopped around you could get a way better deal but i wa non the less a bit shocked realising i gould grow pounds of this and after researching on how to actually grow them it seemed quite enoyable (i've been growing cactusus and a small selectionof house plnats for a few years now for profit)

I can see selling to local restaurants, green smoothie stands around the city as well as taking online orders.

I have the perfect family member to hire to look after the operation releaving myself of quite alot of time and focusing on distribution and customer acquisition.

I am currently working on another business and i don't want to get overwhlemend by doing two projects at onces but it just makes sence to utilise the land i have which the annual council rates aren't going to change if i produce off the land so i makes sence tome. I have no idea about the horticultural industry apart from knowing how to clone some exotic house plants and put them into pretty containers for resell after a few months, so would love to hear from anyone that knows about this space. And i'll be sharing my experience along the way, my next step is to aquire growing trays and the seeds of the selected super greens i'm going to grow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Good luck. I'll be watching this thread as I find this business pretty interesting so please keep us updated.

You might find this book helpful: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2FYZJC/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

In the second chapter they talk about the most profitable crops and offer tips on how to command good prices.

For them, the 10 most profitable crops sales-wise are:

1. Greenhouse tomato
2. Mesclun mix
3. Lettuce
4. Greenhouse cucumber
5. Garlic
6. Carrots (bunch)
7. Onion
8. Pepper
9. Broccoli
10. Snow/snap peas

Caroline888

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
May 5, 2018
UK
In rgeards to HERBS. Some people grow very rare and difficult to grow herbs - and then sell the dry "organic" herbs on Etsy, or through individuals websites. And YES they make good money from it. However it is very time consuming ... and You never know they outcome ... some rare herbs might not grow in difficult environment.... for me it is a bit of "slow lane"...

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
Is it possible to grow Saffron in your country’s climate? That would be really profitable. Watching this thread for developments.

I think your target market would be pp interested in locally sourced food. That’s been a huge movement in recent years.
turns out saffron grows very well where we are. Looks like a tricky one to grow and harvest but indeed highly priced, thanks for the suggestion much appreciated, it's on the list to find it's place on the plot

Edit - after a night of researching Saffron - i understand why it's sometimes prices as much as gold, It's super labour intensive (must be picked by hand) and around 150 flowers are required to produce a gram (with luck on your first couple grows) i think i'll reserve this crop for later one once we're established and can venture into something a bit more advanced and risky - but profitable.

Last edited:

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
Is it possible to grow Saffron in your country’s climate? Saffron is more valuable than gold pound for pound. So that could be really profitable. Watching this thread for developments.

For the rest of your produce, I think your target market should be pp interested in locally sourced food. That’s been a huge movement in recent years.

Last edited:

W. Sabria

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 30, 2018
Miami, FL
i like the idea of growing bamboo. seems like a big market right now and it grows quick!

I just learned a friend of mine has been growing salt water coral and anemones as a hobby. He started selling and it's been going so well for him, he's looking to quit his job soon as a corporate accountant and join the Fastlane!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
Slightly off topic, but you're in New Zealand: Manuka Honey = Money. If you're exploring new ideas explore that. Crazy markups, likely better than selling herbs.

That is actually one of the things i've been looking at also, here we need a license to have bees so i've singed up to the next available one to get the legal req's sorted and looking at complimentary plants to aid the bee production. It would have been a long term investmet planting Manuka trees and waiting for the bees so i was thinking mixing in lavendar and other flowering shrubs that could also be sold off as dry herb and also give to the honey production. I don't see why small scale farming and bees wouldn't work together.

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
In rgeards to HERBS. Some people grow very rare and difficult to grow herbs - and then sell the dry "organic" herbs on Etsy, or through individuals websites. And YES they make good money from it. However it is very time consuming ... and You never know they outcome ... some rare herbs might not grow in difficult environment.... for me it is a bit of "slow lane"...
I'm in the processes if identifying what to grow at the moment.
I did consider the fast lane/slow lane of this option but considering that i already have 5 acres to turn into cultivated land that can produce money i see this as a small time investment for the set up, hiring a family member to run the operation and than harvesting, the biggest expense whch would have been land leasing i can get for free as i'm already paying for the land. With the amount of time in between planting to harvesting will leave me with plenty of time to work on my other FL project and look for customers for the harvest.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@kkompoti are you still around? I know you’re concentrating on your farm right now.

Also, @Raoul Duke tagging you in, because the idea of farming was tossed out to you.

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
i like the idea of growing bamboo. seems like a big market right now and it grows quick!

I just learned a friend of mine has been growing salt water coral and anemones as a hobby. He started selling and it's been going so well for him, he's looking to quit his job soon as a corporate accountant and join the Fastlane!
oh wow great idea, i wasn't even thinking about about anything like that and that could be done inside the house. I used to have fresh water fish tanks and that was an expensive hobby, the salt water fish tanks are even more expensive. Target market i would think would mostly be hobby enthusiasts?

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
?

I've found this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRNoSSkLkE

This would reduce cost for me, when I finally go that route.
Thanks for the share, had a few light bulb moment. I did considering using shipping containers to grow in and cut the roof off to put in clear panels for natural sun light and it'll still be insulated but also comparing the cost at the moment from building green houses using timber and single glazed window panels that i'm waiting to get prices from local supplier to weight up the costs.

I have 5 acres to dedicate towards cultivating and from everyones suggesting and research been putting together a crop list and matching it to the sowing/harvesting seasons here locally, it's been a very enjoyable experience so far.

Are you growing in soil or hydro?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.