The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Slowlane sales director / future fastlaner from Europe

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

BigP

New Contributor
Dec 15, 2019
Hi fellows,

greetings from Europe! Glad to be here and I have read MJ's both books which really made an impact.

A small intro: I have job as international sales director making around 170-200keur per year including bonuses (note that the taxman takes 50% here) in IT sector.

Some side hustles:
*A small manufacturing business with my friend with annual revenue up to 30-50keur (no profit yet, all is put to R&D + filling the stocks). Here we are selling to consumers but lost earlier 5meur deal with 2.5meur margin which resulted few quiet years. Now we have another deal abroad for almost 10meur but the tender has been stopped due to Covid. Note that the big deals have a very small probability. The plan is now to hire one full time employee and sell 100keur to consumers in 2021.
*Real estate investment. I figured out how to do this in 2020. Now I have around 1meur worth of new studio apartments with double leverage and very little own money. I still need to put around 50keur into the vehicle and then it will feed itself while making around 1meur in the next 10 years. This is the most that I canmy current income level. I see this as a vehicle where I will pump all the excess liquidity from other side hustles.
*IT company. Here I am in a bit of trouble. The idea is great, even earthshaking but we have a bad team and it is keeping me back of putting my full effort here. IPR is there but with 0 sales.
*Start-up investments. I am investing 10keur here and there through my holding company.

Some ideas that concern me at this time:
*Why some people do and some people don't. Ok, Jim Rohn already answered this but this is still a problem with the IT company. I need to find a good solution here.
*How to reach a level of passive income that would free up my time to do projects full-time. This would require an additional 1.5meur to the real estate vehicle or something else.
*Small bonuses on the day job. We will break the all time sales record this year but my bonuses are capped so that I will get only around 200keur. With competitors where the bonuses are not capped, I would probably make 1meur or a lot more. The only problem is that working for a competitor would require a relocation to London where I certainly would not like to live nor raise kids.
*Creating an additional income stream from writing a book and launching connected online trainings.
*On a larger scale I think I have huge untapped potential and my aim is to focus that on making a lot more money and via that - freedom!

Here it is for the time being. Now I will indulge myself to the forum content. Looking forward!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Wow looking at your plans, income stream, and so on you have to a lot on your plate. I understand it's really important to have different income streams but can you manage all that? I couldn't. :)

I'd focus more on your IT company. If the team is bad, get a better team. You could also hire people remotely with Upwork. But if the government is taking 50% of the salaries in the IT industries it's harder to build something. Or do they take 50% in all sectors?
I put all my effort in the It company get it running and then you can focus on other things again.

BigP

New Contributor
Dec 15, 2019
Thanks Buddy,

yeah, I can manage it. I honestly believe that I have larger bandwith and clockspeed than your average Joe. Sure in hell I don't have any limiting beliefs...

The manufacturing company is more like a hobby to see how you can create products, use social media for selling etc. and it has a very specific niche connected to my hobbies ie. more like a hobby :) I own the majority and my friend owns the rest.

The IT company is an issue that I am thinking how to work on. I would be interested of selling the whole thing for few millions but it needs customers first before that. I find the IPR very valuable but potential buyers want proofs obviously. It's a bit of catch 22 with the current team.

Anyway, to add something to my story. It was 2012 and I realised that as a team leader in finance sector and a huge old house needing renovation etc., I really need to do something to fix the situation. Otherwise I would be sentenced to the same loop until pension and there were examples of that around me. Ok, all the above has been created after the 2012 epiphany. I started by going to NLP course, then getting another position, then taking more NLP courses, then going straight to senior leadership in one of the big consultancy companies (reducing also holidays from six weeks to five) before being headhunted to this position. In a meanwhile I created the side hustles.

With continuous (self)feedback I have been improving all the time and now finally in the past two years I have also started to get my finances in order. I have also read hundreds of books in the years after the epiphany.

I still feel there is a huge gap between my income potential and current situation. Not to dwell on the past, I am just aiming to reach financial freedom asap.

And yes, alas, the taxman (and mandatory public pension fees etc.) take 50% of higher salaries in all industries here.

Good to be here. I find that there are a lot of likeminded people here. The problem in my country is that the reference group is very very small.

Wow looking at your plans, income stream, and so on you have to a lot on your plate. I understand it's really important to have different income streams but can you manage all that? I couldn't. :)

I'd focus more on your IT company. If the team is bad, get a better team. You could also hire people remotely with Upwork. But if the government is taking 50% of the salaries in the IT industries it's harder to build something. Or do they take 50% in all sectors?
I put all my effort in the It company get it running and then you can focus on other things again.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
You're not alone with the feeling of "having a huge gap between my income potential and current situation". I know that feeling to well mate. In my mind, it's not only about what you can earn also what you can achieve.

Your IT business sounds really interesting. If I were you I'd do the following:
Fire all of your "useless" and unmotivated employees. And hire some motivated once. Easier said than done but I think having a motived team has a direct effect on the numbers of costumers and customer satisfaction. I don't know what's the product/service of your business, but if you want to sell it and believe that with some costumers you can get a few million, I believe that with a huge amount of costumes you can get a lot more then a few million.
Don't know how big your team is. But I'd hire people remotely, where I live in Switzerland, people love to buy businesses, which don't need a big office space.
And I'd hire a really motivated person who can manage a team. Don't give him a salary. Give him a small part of the company and tell him you want to sell the company and he will put in 100+ hour workweeks. And with the help of him and your remaining team, maybe remotely I'd put a lot into marketing. Don't know your service/product so I have no idea what's the best way to market it. But if you put in 100K+ /month into marketing you should get a ton of costumer if your business is really that great. And then after three months of doing that try to sell the business. And you'll get a lot more because you showed them that it's scalable.

But this strategy would require that you are the only owner of the company. Or that the rest is willing to do the same.

But the taxman does only take 50% of salaries and not when you sell a business, do they?

Please note that the above is only my opinion on what to do with the business and kindly take into account that I have no idea of what you're selling. But I wish you the best of luck.

BigP

New Contributor
Dec 15, 2019
You're not alone with the feeling of "having a huge gap between my income potential and current situation". I know that feeling to well mate. In my mind, it's not only about what you can earn also what you can achieve.

Your IT business sounds really interesting. If I were you I'd do the following:
Fire all of your "useless" and unmotivated employees. And hire some motivated once. Easier said than done but I think having a motived team has a direct effect on the numbers of costumers and customer satisfaction. I don't know what's the product/service of your business, but if you want to sell it and believe that with some costumers you can get a few million, I believe that with a huge amount of costumes you can get a lot more then a few million.
Don't know how big your team is. But I'd hire people remotely, where I live in Switzerland, people love to buy businesses, which don't need a big office space.
And I'd hire a really motivated person who can manage a team. Don't give him a salary. Give him a small part of the company and tell him you want to sell the company and he will put in 100+ hour workweeks. And with the help of him and your remaining team, maybe remotely I'd put a lot into marketing. Don't know your service/product so I have no idea what's the best way to market it. But if you put in 100K+ /month into marketing you should get a ton of costumer if your business is really that great. And then after three months of doing that try to sell the business. And you'll get a lot more because you showed them that it's scalable.

But this strategy would require that you are the only owner of the company. Or that the rest is willing to do the same.

But the taxman does only take 50% of salaries and not when you sell a business, do they?

Please note that the above is only my opinion on what to do with the business and kindly take into account that I have no idea of what you're selling. But I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks buddy, good sparring, good ideas.

Re: IT business, I am discussing with one vc who is putting together teams and ideas. Let's see how it is going. At the same time we are finetuning the core engine to be spotless. It is some fancy AI stuff.

Here the taxman takes 50% of my salary (a lot less for lower income - there is a steep progression) and 34% of the profit when you sell business, real estate etc. However, there are some ways to bypass that but let's not get into advanced tax planning here.

I just realized that I have a bit fallen into trap of having too many companies without proper capital to back it up. Hence not enough possibility to do delegation and get the stuff really into the orbit. Even the real estate vehicle - it is a perfect passive income vehicle when I get enough capital in.

Ok, all seems to be in place but I just need few millions more of capital. Let's work on that. Funnily I got sort of promoted in my day job. More responsibilities with the same salary - sort of a kiss from a cousin.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks buddy, good sparring, good ideas.

Re: IT business, I am discussing with one vc who is putting together teams and ideas. Let's see how it is going. At the same time we are finetuning the core engine to be spotless. It is some fancy AI stuff.

Here the taxman takes 50% of my salary (a lot less for lower income - there is a steep progression) and 34% of the profit when you sell business, real estate etc. However, there are some ways to bypass that but let's not get into advanced tax planning here.

I just realized that I have a bit fallen into trap of having too many companies without proper capital to back it up. Hence not enough possibility to do delegation and get the stuff really into the orbit. Even the real estate vehicle - it is a perfect passive income vehicle when I get enough capital in.

Ok, all seems to be in place but I just need few millions more of capital. Let's work on that. Funnily I got sort of promoted in my day job. More responsibilities with the same salary - sort of a kiss from a cousin.
Promotion without a salary increase that’s funny.
If I were you I’d just focus on getting capital into the IT business. And with an affiliate program and other marketing I believe that you could get a lot of costumers in a rather short period of time. And then sell it for a much higher valuation then right now.

Really like your point with the capital. If you had enough you could just put in in real estate and relax.
But I strongly believe that with Europe starting to open business more and more, even though we are in the 2nd wave, customers will increase.
Wish you all the best.

Cheers

BigP

New Contributor
Dec 15, 2019
Promotion without a salary increase that’s funny.
If I were you I’d just focus on getting capital into the IT business. And with an affiliate program and other marketing I believe that you could get a lot of costumers in a rather short period of time. And then sell it for a much higher valuation then right now.

Really like your point with the capital. If you had enough you could just put in in real estate and relax.
But I strongly believe that with Europe starting to open business more and more, even though we are in the 2nd wave, customers will increase.
Wish you all the best.

Cheers
Thanks brother,

some progress:
*Manufacturing company. We are building a webshop together with outsourced shipping and warehousing to enable growth. Hope to get this online before the end of the year.
*Real estate. Just bought my sixth rental apartment for this year. Few more to get the perpetual motion going for investment vehicle. I got off some slack here and did better cash flow planning and thus found money for one more apartment.
*Start-up investing. Promised 10k more for a Fintech I am advising. It will take time for the round to finish so I invested the funds to the real estate vehicle and will use the future income to invest here.
*IT company. Guys are stuck in redoing the core engine. This would need more focus but I am just running out of time.

I listened MJ's new audiobook "Wealth exposed" while going to the gym. I have also listened Millionaire Fast Lane and Unscripted when working out (of course also read them). One of the best ways to get in the info is doing physical activity.

In general I have added some actions to my weeks just to get my act together better. E.g. my friend who is worth 100m+ is engaged to some activity all the time and definitely has his shit together. I think just getting stuff more organised and getting rid of excess and unimportant stuff (both physical and non-physical) will increase our lifestyle and sort of bring forward the already existing value and prepare that to be leveraged.

Anyway, I am sticking to my long-game and doing every day the activities that take me towards my goals and I can already feel the cumulative results.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks brother,

some progress:
*Manufacturing company. We are building a webshop together with outsourced shipping and warehousing to enable growth. Hope to get this online before the end of the year.
*Real estate. Just bought my sixth rental apartment for this year. Few more to get the perpetual motion going for investment vehicle. I got off some slack here and did better cash flow planning and thus found money for one more apartment.
*Start-up investing. Promised 10k more for a Fintech I am advising. It will take time for the round to finish so I invested the funds to the real estate vehicle and will use the future income to invest here.
*IT company. Guys are stuck in redoing the core engine. This would need more focus but I am just running out of time.

I listened MJ's new audiobook "Wealth exposed" while going to the gym. I have also listened Millionaire Fast Lane and Unscripted when working out (of course also read them). One of the best ways to get in the info is doing physical activity.

In general I have added some actions to my weeks just to get my act together better. E.g. my friend who is worth 100m+ is engaged to some activity all the time and definitely has his shit together. I think just getting stuff more organised and getting rid of excess and unimportant stuff (both physical and non-physical) will increase our lifestyle and sort of bring forward the already existing value and prepare that to be leveraged.

Anyway, I am sticking to my long-game and doing every day the activities that take me towards my goals and I can already feel the cumulative results.
Oh sounds like some really great progress. Especially in the manufacturing company. Love that you are outsourcing as much as possible that's the future.
Sad to hear that the IT company isn't doing that well. What's the problem? If I remember correctly you have quite a lot of personnel in the company. So do they need you? Shouldn't they be able to handle everything by themself?

But otherwise, I can only agree with you. It's important that we implement habits into our lifestyle which will make us better. Wish you all the best brother.
If you need any help from us just let us know.
Cheers

BigP

New Contributor
Dec 15, 2019
Oh sounds like some really great progress. Especially in the manufacturing company. Love that you are outsourcing as much as possible that's the future.
Sad to hear that the IT company isn't doing that well. What's the problem? If I remember correctly you have quite a lot of personnel in the company. So do they need you? Shouldn't they be able to handle everything by themself?

But otherwise, I can only agree with you. It's important that we implement habits into our lifestyle which will make us better. Wish you all the best brother.
If you need any help from us just let us know.
Cheers
Thanks buddy,

in the IT company there are only co-founders that are doing this on the side of their day jobs. The other guys should now reprogram the core engine but it has been months without progress. Ok, I need first to set motion the other parts of my wealth equation before focusing back on this.

I like the concept of "perpetual motion engine" - probably because the term has a bit different connotation in our local language. My friend calls my real estate vehicle "generational wealth creating vehicle" and that's true - when I keep this going for few decades, my kids and their kids will never need to work a day job, if they don't want to. On the other hand, if my grandparents would have done this - well... it's time for me to do it now. Also, I really like interacting with tenants for some reason.

I also took this "perpetual motion engine" approach to our manufacturing business. When we get the webshop and outsourced warehousing/shipping in place and hire one employee, the business will require considerably less my time and then I have yet another engine in motion. Our revenue goal for Manufacturing is 100keur for 2021. We will not take out any money but use it all on on growth. And you know me - if we take dividends, I will put it all into the real estate vehicle.

In my day job, we did one more large deal that broke news around the world. It seems that we are able to break 100meur in sales this year. However, as noted, my bonuses are capped, so I will probably end up a bit under 200k next year (when the bonuses are paid in March).

I really like my Excels. This is probably the first time in my life when I am really motivated about Excel, to the extent, that one of my friends who is doing real estate investing for living said that my Excels are better than his - nice. I can also see from my Excels how much buying a new Range Rover LWB would rob me of income for the next decade. So, I will continue to drive my 15 year old LR3 which I keep in impeccable condition.

The only downside in the progression is coming in 2022 when I need to invest circa 40k building a garage (the building permit is expiring in 2022 and I can't get it extended). Don't get me wrong, we do have a quite high standard of living (not that many families have a housekeeper, indoor pool, 100k collection of specific hobby items etc.) - I just don't want to be only reasonably well off in local standards by doing a reasonably good job but to tap into the full potential and be unscriptedly well off in global standards. Still some way to go...

I guess this was enough rant for the weekend. I keep you posted when I get some more progress.

Last edited:

Choices

Never Settle
Sep 3, 2019
Switzerland
Have you thought of switching jobs to somewhere with an uncapped bonus?

If you say you should be making around 1m instead of 200k.....that's quite a difference, and it would make quite the difference in terms your realestate investments, and probably in your other businesses too.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Hi mate,
Sounds like you're doing pretty well.
If in the IT company there are only co-founders that are doing this on the side of their day jobs don't you think it could be worth it to hire a project manager or so? He doesn't need to know a lot about the actual product/service just somebody who can run a business and is good with communication. You have expenses around 100keur/year and it could skyrocket your business. I personally would even give them a small part of the company + maybe 50keur/year salary + a big bonus if the business is doing well. Then you have somebody really motivated.

I agree with you on the "perpetual motion engine", but I think that I'm not giving my kids a choice if they want to work or not. They can try things. They can fail. They can lose money. They can go bankrupt. But I won't be the one who will give them all my money and they can just sit on the couch and watch Netflix the whole day. They will get my money but as long as I'm alive I want to get them to build their own empire. Hopefully, they have a different starting point than I had but they still need to build it.

If I get it right you still work your "normal" job which pays you 200k/year. Did you ever think about quitting? If you can build one or two more side hustles you could quite easily and just put your effort in your businesses. You can probably make more than 200k more if your 24hourse are focused on your businesses. Or what do you think?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

BigP

New Contributor
Dec 15, 2019
Hi mate,
Sounds like you're doing pretty well.
If in the IT company there are only co-founders that are doing this on the side of their day jobs don't you think it could be worth it to hire a project manager or so? He doesn't need to know a lot about the actual product/service just somebody who can run a business and is good with communication. You have expenses around 100keur/year and it could skyrocket your business. I personally would even give them a small part of the company + maybe 50keur/year salary + a big bonus if the business is doing well. Then you have somebody really motivated.

I agree with you on the "perpetual motion engine", but I think that I'm not giving my kids a choice if they want to work or not. They can try things. They can fail. They can lose money. They can go bankrupt. But I won't be the one who will give them all my money and they can just sit on the couch and watch Netflix the whole day. They will get my money but as long as I'm alive I want to get them to build their own empire. Hopefully, they have a different starting point than I had but they still need to build it.

If I get it right you still work your "normal" job which pays you 200k/year. Did you ever think about quitting? If you can build one or two more side hustles you could quite easily and just put your effort in your businesses. You can probably make more than 200k more if your 24hourse are focused on your businesses. Or what do you think?

Thanks Kasimir and thanks Choices.

Things are clearing up. I made a more detached assessment of the IT company and decided to close it. I won't go into details here but we basically seize operations and that's it. It has had a wrong team from the start and the greatness of the idea is not just compensating the bad team. So, that's it. I have to say I am enormously relieved. Phew.

On the other fronts. Perpetual motion engine is churning. It doesn't really need that much effort as the next properties are coming to the engine March next year and the next capital injection needs to be around summer 2021. But - hey - it is making money even while I sleep and that is comforting.

Then there is a funding round for one of the fintechs I have invested, pitch for a book, some early export discussions about some local merchandise to one country far away, yet another start-up of a great idea to save the world with selling emission rights and creating them etc.etc. the normal stuff.

Regarding changing jobs - yes - it is very much on top of my agenda but finding a position like this in my particular country is very rare. As I am working global it would surely mean moving abroad and with COVID-19, I am pretty ok hanging at home.

Thanks for you input buddies, I will keep you posted.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hi Fox, After reading your threat and watching some of your youtube I have several query ? 1...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom