• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real Estate Single Units, Multi units

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by Starsky, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Starsky

Starsky New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    All,

I have come across a cpl of potential opportunities & wanted to hear your opinions..

I came across an tired landlord who is wanting to liquidate 10-15 units of sfh's in decent/fair condition.

Now the question is is would those who lean toward multi unit investing consider this worth their time to evaluate considering that all of the units are not under the "same roof"? What would the pros/cons be of having separately deeded multi units?

Thanks

2. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,582
    A blog post I wrote a couple months ago addresses this:

http://www.threetypes.com/re/rental-types.shtml

I think most multi-unit investors would not consider a bunch of SFHs to be part of their portfolio. The hallmark advantage to multi-unit investing is economies of scale, and for the most part you don't get that with SFHs (you do for some things like maintanance contracts, but that's about it).

3. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $413
    The one exception I read in Berges book, was 22 units within the same area. I believe they were duplexes. He was able to fix up the "community" and sell all 22(11 buildings) as a package deal.

4. Starsky

Starsky New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    These units are all within a 1/4 mile of each other, a cpl a are next door to one another forming basically a seperate wall "duplex". So my thinking is is if bought at the proper price, one could have significant equity that one could tap for bigger deals..

5. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    What is your business and what is your investment?

Based on what I am understanding from your post, your business would be either a) to flip these properties to generate cash for your investment, or b) to buy them with enough equity so they cashflow even after taking money from a HELOC.
    And then, I guess, your investment would be to take that money from those flips and use it to buy a multi unit property for cashflow.

Is that your big-picture goal?

6. Starsky

Starsky New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    Im a buy and hold guy, so my goals (unless the market dictates different) would be to achieve my cashflow benchmark & have a heloc available for other opportunities that may arise.

7. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    Then yes, your plan is correct, you need to make sure your purchase price is low enough so they cashflow and have room for a heloc. Please let us know how it goes in your negotiations and good luck.

8. Starsky

Starsky New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    No problem, Ill post as I progress.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.