The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Side Hustle or All In to win?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Which is your recipe for success?

• All In

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Side Hustle

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

DavidK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 23, 2017
Hurricane, UT
I would say side hustle until you get traction. If you go all in you still need some sort of cash flow to survive and invest in the business. Just need to find a balance since you don't want all your time and energy being spent on making money leaving little left for your side hustle.

Disclaimer: Still a beginner and have never tried the all in method.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Jun 29, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Should you quit your job and go all in or side hustle your way to #success as an #entrepreneur or #startup?
Nobody is going to be able to answer this for you

Will you win quicker if you work 18 hours a day vs. 5 hours a day? Yes.
But you have to respect practicality. You might have a family or a job that supports your lifestyle. Abandoning everything to go all in isn't practical for a lot of people, and side hustling isn't practical for a lot of people.

Regardless, waste no time getting started.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
I would say side hustle until you get traction. If you go all in you still need some sort of cash flow to survive and invest in the business. Just need to find a balance since you don't want all your time and energy being spent on making money leaving little left for your side hustle.

Disclaimer: Still a beginner and have never tried the all in method.
Agreed. Unless you are generating enough money to cover rent and all that good stuff AND still have some cash flow to reinvest in your businesses and other ventures, then side hustle is the only realistic way to do it.

My hope is that by the time I'm done with my analyst program, I will be making enough money online to be able to go all-in. But I've got a long way to go.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Nobody is going to be able to answer this for you

Will you win quicker if you work 18 hours a day vs. 5 hours a day? Yes.
But you have to respect practicality. You might have a family or a job that supports your lifestyle. Abandoning everything to go all in isn't practical for a lot of people, and side hustling isn't practical for a lot of people.

Regardless, waste no time getting started.
This, and if you work 18 hours a day, are you actually productive all those hours? Would lack of exercise, sleep, and time with family and friends not burn you out? You could probably accomplish a lot more dedicating a shorter amount of hyper-productive hours to your business.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
Should you quit your job and go all in or side hustle your way to #success as an #entrepreneur or #startup?
Side hustle until you build something that can supplement your full-time income, and then go all in. Depends what money means to you.

Thanks for the share but the video was a little too introductory. Everyone here is doing one or the other and I don't think this video is going to persuade anyone to change their route. I would focus more on how you can build a side hustle, or actionable tips on how you can transition from the side hustle to the all in.

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
I'm definitely in the side hustle camp.

I know it's going to be so liberating when I'm finally able to let go of my slow lane job in the near future.

Dan Willis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2014
I'm definitely in the side hustle camp.

I know it's going to be so liberating when I'm finally able to let go of my slow lane job in the near future.
I am actually surprised at the majority being side hustlers.

Dan Willis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2014
Side hustle until you build something that can supplement your full-time income, and then go all in. Depends what money means to you.

Thanks for the share but the video was a little too introductory. Everyone here is doing one or the other and I don't think this video is going to persuade anyone to change their route. I would focus more on how you can build a side hustle, or actionable tips on how you can transition from the side hustle to the all in.
That is actually phenomenal feedback and I will definitely use those concepts in future videos.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Thank you for the suprising view on this way of approaching entrepreneurship. I’m more of the all-in type of guy.

When I was “building” my business when I had a job, it was very hard for me to stay motivated. The moment I quit my job I became tremendously motivated to work on myself/my business.

But I understand that there are different ways of building your business/going into entrepreneurship. I admire the people who do it as a side hustle!

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
I did an experiment while building my product on the side: I took a full week off of work before traveling to family for the holidays.
I thought: I'd get so much done without that distraction.
What happened: I wasted tons of time ineffectively. Although I moved in a forward direction, I did not utilize my time.
So my next plan is to build up my reserve habits so that I more effectively use my time productively.
I cannot quit my job until I'm able to do this experiment without wasting the vast majority of my time, or I am making significant money already.

Part of the problem was visualizing success. Both of DeMarco's books helped with that. But Breaking Out of Homeostasis is also essential for me.

Others may not have the same problem as me, especially the early 20s crowd that doesn't have ingrained, wasteful habits. But, I strongly suggest doing these small experiments to see if you'll actually be effective before going all in and quitting your job.
Fix yourself before killing your primary income.

The other side of this is: I know my job is still there. If I go all in, will I stop wasting time on the internet and focus on my Fastlane to success?
That's a good question and I teeter back and forth on it. I've pulled through on life challenges in the past. But it's very difficult to give up on 6 figures on something that is yet generating sales. I've considered downsizing my expensive rent to get me out of my comfort zone and force the issue harder.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.