The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I Start a Vegan Business If I Don't Believe In It?

Lancelot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 19, 2018
One thing I would say is that I am not Vegan, love steak, etc etc... but have way to many food allergy/intolerances. So not only does it provide a venue for the fanatics that are in it for belief reasons, it also holds a market for people who cannot eat certain foods. If I am looking for alternative type products I go to that little sad area in whole foods where the vegan products are.

One other thought... If you can make a good cheese alternative, I'm pretty sure you will knock it out of the park.

Best of luck young padawan. May the force be with you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pwilliams84

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Oct 30, 2017
Florida
agree with the majority here. i don’t really think you have to be a personal user of a product, but you’d better believe in it.
this one is even tougher because like a few suggested we’re not talking about just a product, but a lifestyle. and this is sort of a “you’re either with us or against us” type lifestyle, right? at least with a product you can claim it’s use may not apply to you. but if the CEO of Reebok walks around in Nike that might be an issue.. and with this topic we’re talking cold blooded murder in their eyes.

that’s what creates the challenge for me in my own background. i’m a finance guy with experience on both the retail level as well as institutional equity trading space.

it’s all dogshit, except for maybe probability based option premium selling. at least there’s some math and statistics to back that up. but hey, lucky me, i’m not even allowed to do anything useful with that knowledge anyway.
literally the worst industry to ever get sucked into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
It would help a lot to partner up with full-on vegan wacko who's deep in the whole sphere.

The problem you'll run into other wise is that you're not connected enough to their mindset to deliver on what they want. And due to the power-law, if you cater to them even 90%, you still won't really resonate with them.

You need a full vegan nutjob as a partner, who's happy to put his face on things, videos etc. You'd do the operations side, he'd be the marketing side. $$$.

Just be careful he isn't anti-capitalist or anti-money, or that if he voices those sentiments, he doesn't live them in real life with his own money.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
For a group that believes in nonviolence, some vegans can be a pretty aggressive bunch (I'm a recent nonagressive convert, thanks partly to the forum). I recently read about a battle between 2 major vegans that devolved into some vulgar sexual claims against the other, all because one was not deemed "vegan enough". Forget it if you're not vegan yourself, it would be a ticking time bomb.

Kelly86

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Aug 16, 2018
UK
People trying to save the lives of animals aren't going to do business with someone who saves lives in pubic, but kills lives at the dinner table.

Ask @AndrewNC - he hangs out with vegans.

I second that. As a vegan if I found out I was buying vegan produce from someone who agreed with killing innocent animals for their meat I would NOT buy from them again, it wouldn't take long for the person to be publicly named and shamed IMO. It would be like a vegan starting a business selling knives to butchers.

Last edited:

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
With all of the long-term committed vegans I've come across, you're spot on with this statement.

"If you're not vegan and you're just starting a vegan business to profit, you will not have the support of the vegan community." is what they said to me in 2016.

If you try to be the face of the company, forget about it.

If you're name isn't even shown behind a brand that sells vegan leather belts (or something) on Amazon, you'll build the business in hiding. You could make some money from it, but there are countless opportunities out there in many markets, so why enter one where you know you'll have this resistance?

Other things that come to mind are to stay away from 'vegan for the animals' theme of the company. For companies that don't have vegan as their selling point, but are vegan-friendly, I don't personally see as much resistance as if you advertise as a vegan company.

We are a vegan chocolate company vs. We are a chocolate company and BTW, we our food is vegan.

View attachment 19697
@Claude Roy would be great to chime in on this topic too.
That's a good idea with the part about saying it's vegan friendly, but not specifically a vegan company. I've also kind of considered growing organic veggies on a larger scale and maybe making products out of them, so the vegan friendly route might be something I'll look in to

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I vote, don't do it. You won't be able to connect with your customers on that level. I've seen other dog leash companies come out with stuff that makes no sense to me and other dog owners. It's like, who would ever use that. On the opposite end, I've invented a few products (provisional patented so far) and people who use them absolutely love them. They were invented out of need when walking my foster dogs.

I don't think you'll ever stop surprising me @biophase ...

I've actually thought of a doggie product while walking my dog, it's on the 'some day' list.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
No need to be so disparaging old chap, I don't agree with the lifestyle but I don't consider them 'nutjobs' and 'wackos'.

There are many vegans on TMFF who may end up giving you that golden nugget of advice, be a little more respectful.
A vegan wouldn't cut it. It needs to be a vegan wack job. Boosts viral marketing effects.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Well you've gained at least one ignore, well done. Maybe you've even alienated the vegan-leaning owner of the forum @MJ DeMarco, nice going buddy, I can tell you'll go far.

See you later, well I won't because I've just hit ignore...
Getting a bit tired of people deliberately misinterpreting what I say. Or perhaps it's an ESL thing or something, not sure.

That post clearly differentiated the two groups by using two different sentences: (a) vegans, and (b) vegan whack jobs. And (c) said the latter group would be better for marketing (controversial, like VeganGains, spreads faster).

You can go on ignore too. You're clearly just looking for random reasons to get peeved, or you're allergic to honest reading; not interested.

stallone

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 24, 2018
I'm vegan, but I'm also an entrepreneur: if you solve a problem that I have, more power to you.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
What vegan products are we even talking about here? Like meat replacements and sweets?

I don't know for all others, but i almost never buy any of that (like once or twice per year). I mean there's plenty of stuff out on the market that doesn't contain animal "ingredients" anyways (at least in germany).

So, what products do you got in mind?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.