The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should i go to college

poseidn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 1, 2016
So im graduating from highschool in 2022 and I was wondering is it worth it going to college.
College in Croatia is free but is it worth it losing 5 years for a bacc. Degree in marketing.
I dont plan on doing this my whole life and was just looking for something to help me later on in entrepreunership.
5yrs for a bachelors in marketing?

That's crazy long.

+ But it's free.

- But the opportunity cost of wasting 5years of your life for a degree from a low tier university (croatian universities not highly regarded)
- 2 years longer than average university in UK (we do 3 years, by year 5 many already have 2 years in workplace.. 5 years is a long time to waste - how many years do you have on this earth?)
- You're in croatia. Cheap af to live. Start freelancing and earn $1k a month and you can live on your own and put time into fastlane projects/networking - 5 years in business is 100000X more valuable than 5 years at a shit uni

Your choice

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Karlito7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 5, 2021
So im graduating from highschool in 2022 and I was wondering is it worth it going to college.
College in Croatia is free but is it worth it losing 5 years for a bacc. Degree in marketing.
I dont plan on doing this my whole life and was just looking for something to help me later on in entrepreunership.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Well, I'm from business school from a top Australian university.
Majored in Finance and Business Analytics.

I got the chance to see what each major (eg business law, finance, accounting, economics, marketing, etc.) offered as everyone in my batch had to take core units for each of the majors in the first year.

I was most disgusted by the marketing unit...the stuff they taught was piss-poor.
Customer surveys? A bunch of question-scrambling and asking the market for shit they won't put their money at.

Avatars? Segmentation? A bunch of unverified guesswork.

The only thing I thought was worth it in the marketing class was B2B Marketing...but there was only one unit for that in the major. And it was in 2nd or 3rd year!

I later got the chance to work alongside marketing majors for my final capstone project.
And their actual knowledge of targeting, current methods of online marketing, backend strategy...or even Marketing 101 in general was so poor I had to write nearly ALL the sections on marketing for our capstone Business Plan.

I dunno what the F*ck they learned from their classes.

Anyhow, marketing is best learned on the field (be it in a temp job, freelance or your own list), since there are many channels to use out there (eg Facebook, LinkedIn, email, Instagram). I also won't ignore getting paid mentorships or finding some of the few Telegram groups/forums filled with actual marketers.

But basically for everyday marketing training chops, do what Kyle Milligan advises
(these steps are typically for copywriting, but they can be applied to marketing):
1. Read a GOOD marketing piece a day (an email, TV ad, video sales letter, FB ads, whatever)

2. Write a marketing piece a day (maybe some copywriting, some creatives)

3. Come up with an idea a day (some possible solutions to market problems, some improvement over existing products or offers, an objection killer, etc)

I'm more interested in email marketing, so my go-tos are usually Ben Settle's list for 'vanilla' email marketing and Agora Financials' emails (since I'm keen on the financial niche).

For a better pick for a business degree, choose something that has less political BS, has a decent entry barrier (i.e. kids can't score that easily, like engineering degrees) and has a decent salary ceiling.

The salary ceiling can serve as a quick benchmark for the market's perceived value.

I personally chose Finance and Business Analytics because I could start on the pathway to data science and investment products. Both which are complex, but giant markets. I also did have good teachers along the way to spark my interest, but that was a side thing.

Honestly, no degree will give you a shortcut to entrepreneurial success.
But the foundations do go back to knowing your market, and how to provide for it...which goes back to marketing...

jpl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 12, 2021
I’ve spent roughly 6 years studying just for the degree. Around 90% of what I know now and about 98% of my everyday applied knowledge was self taught in between study sessions or afterwards learned on a job.

This may not be the case for everyone but for me, all that spending these many years in college classes did, was change my mindset for a bit. This change I could’ve achieved in like 6 months focusing on the right materials as I do now though.

I cannot imagine where I would be now if I had begun my journey for applicable knowledge when I was younger, not after 6 years of „studying“. I would only recommend someone to study anything if they exactly knew how they could apply each and every bit of theory that they learn.

I know my opinion might be a bit extreme but comparing myself to colleagues (working a sales job at the moment), I see their success and practical knowledge, that they had 6 more years to build efficiently while not studying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...