• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Should I go to college?

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by Twista, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Twista

Twista Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $389
    Since most of my business will be online, should I go to college for web design and development? My parents want me to go and I still have another year left of deciding.

ranato likes this.
  2. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $185,137
    Yes. Er....no. Yes. sh*t. I can't decide.

3. Darius

Darius Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,948
    No. Spend that "another year left of deciding" on using Google and learning web development & design. <- If you're trying to focus on business

Yes. Go to college, learn, and enjoy being around young people like yourself. <- If you want to satisfy your parents and have a decent - good time doing so.

SOYEnterprises likes this.
  4. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,844
    Since you obviously want others to make decisions for you... Yes you should. It will set you up for a nice cushy job and a boss like me to tell you what to do.

5. Twista

Rep Bank:
    $389
    Oh hell no! lol

igorlapinha likes this.
  6. Tom.V

Tom.V Tom Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,231
  7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,289
    Admin Post
    Xenforo has a cool plugin that lists similar threads to posters before they post a new one ... I look forward to deploying that mod so we can once and for all rid ourselves of the old "Do I go to college?" thread.

BTW, my thoughts on this topic echo Kak's ... if you need someone else to decide what's best for you, you should probably go.

ChuDucHoa, dknise, TopChef and 2 others like this.
  8. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,844
    I say this with not an ounce of sarcasm. You really should if you make a habit of not deciding for yourself.

9. FDJustin

FDJustin Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    That plugin does sound great, MJ.

But yeah... Sometimes going to college is a good idea, like when the skills are particularly difficult to pick up. Most of web development and design you can really learn on your own with some disciplined self study, using w3c, a quality book on HTML5 will get you most of the way through the mechanical part.
    Reading "letting go of the words" will give you quite a bit of food for thought on website design, focused mostly on usability and a good customer experience.
    I haven't gotten anywhere near finishing this yet, but "Design of every day things" seems to be about learning how to convey intention through your designs and making things fairly failproof. It's too academic, but if the reviews are right, should give you a good mindset on designing things.

I assume that's the core of website design. There's no doubt many useful peripheral skills, like colour theory maybe. If you look at the design curriculum, you'll get a good idea on what they would be teaching you and you can use that as a starting point.

If your online business is something like retail, you probably won't need to go much further. There's plenty of pre-existing shopping carts and templates you can use and adapt. Otherwise you'll have to learn quite a bit of programming if you can't acquire someone who has that skill.

I almost erased all that to just say "Figure out what you actually need to do your 'online business stuff'. It might be a hell of a lot closer than you think."

Twista likes this.
  10. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $65,249
    College and University's only real value comes from the point of view of being an employee (or building a job around yourself).

You NEED college/uni for things like:

- Accountant
    - Lawyer
    - Doctor
    - Engineer
    - Etc...

You COULD go the entrepreneurial route with these - start your own law firm, doctor's practice, etc... but these are "jobs" tied heavily and directly to your time. It's much better to hire these people as an entrepreneur than to BE one.

Degrees and diplomas are formal proof you provide other people. Entrepreneurs usually aren't too concerned with proving knowledge to anyone in a formal way. They use their actions, not pieces of paper, to prove that.

And any "business" or "entrepreneur" class is a total waste of time as well, because you can usually get a better education out of a small stack of books.

And that whole "fall back on it" thing? Yeah, after you get your first full time job (anywhere) everyone will stop caring about where you went to school and what for as long as you aren't trying to be a Doctor, for example. So your diploma is worthless in less time than it took you to get it.

11. Twista

Rep Bank:
    $389
    Now since you guys mentioned it, I'm really sorry for posting this stupid question up. And sorry MJ for putting up another "Do I go to college?" thread on your site.

12. Damian2015

Damian2015 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    i must say i love the sarcasm and the honesty in your answer, but then again going to college does have its perks, you either learn that you do want to go in the direction you are headed or you learn that the *hit you are studying is useless and you could have learned al that by yourself.

13. tafy

tafy Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,778
    The answer is: Only you can decide.

14. Twista

Rep Bank:
    $389
    I already have my answer. I wish I can delete this useless thread :p

15. Damian2015

Rep Bank:
    $47
    ungrateful person you :p hahahaha we helped a lot LOL

16. Twista

Rep Bank:
    $389
    And I thank each and every one of you guys!:)

17. Damian2015

Rep Bank:
    $47
    lol i was joking xD and you are welcome! question did you make up your mind? i think you can use that time you would spend in college so much better learning on your own, plus i bet not one college would ban you from a lecture if you decided to attend one even if you are not a student there

18. tafy

Rep Bank:
    $9,778
    So what was the plan? Go or not go? Year off?

19. contract

contract Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $868
    Honestly: No.

20. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,844
    Yes

Enki likes this.
  21. DeletedUser2

DeletedUser2 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    hahaha
    I think KAK needs another employee
    Z

22. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,289
    Admin Post
    Yes, what did you decide? And why? And are the parents cool with it? (Assuming its a NO).

Enki likes this.
  23. Twista

Rep Bank:
    $389
    I saw this video on Youtube from this guy named Bucky. He was talking about how he dropped out of college and why. He dropped out of college because he wanted to learn how to build websites and learn code. In college, Bucky found in an old book with five names of different people listed towards the front of the book. He said that these people have been learning the same stuff over and over, year after year. And the people around him where taking the same exact exams and doing the same assignments. He did not like this idea of teaching, he wanted to be different and creative. He believes that the only purpose why colleges are here are for degrees and jobs. So, he dropped out and learned on his own. Now he teaches others how to create websites and program code.

So I took note of his video and said "ain't that the damn truth!" Literally. I wouldn't like the idea of going back to school another four years, after graduation, to learn something that I could've learned on my own and I would've saved myself from $80k+ student loans. As far as parents, I have not talked to them about that yet. When time comes, I'll tell them. I still have two years left.

And to Kak, I'm dead serious. Hell no! I do not want to be employed again under some corporate businessman trying to work me like a slave for little pay, dammit! I am a follower of your work, though. I'm not doing much as of now (still researching about the Fastlane and entrepreneurship.) I'm reading posts on here, still reading the book(again), and watching educational videos on Youtube.

Mamadoo and Enki like this.
  24. tafy

Rep Bank:
    $9,778
    Sounds like you know what to do, would be even better if you learned that stuff now and launched something before you have to tell your parents. Two years is a good amount of time. Have you got a progress thread yet?

25. DeletedUser2

DeletedUser2 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $

the most succinct way of putting it I have heard in a long time....

you have it in 1.

you want a collage education? go to youtube, learn there, go to the MIT open course work. where you can get it for free.

pick one of a dozen good online courses, taught buy guys who are doing NEW stuff all the time.

use that 80K you would have incurred for student loans and put that towards building a business.

we will be watching for your progress thread.

Z

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.