The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I feel bad about 50% discount?

Marketing, social media, advertising

jerryB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
May 25, 2018
Hi,

I'm a beginning entrepreneur. I'm running an online store and I have a question.
Should I feel bad having discounted a certain product, let's say by 50%, whereas other people had already bought the product before the discount was initiated?
I mean, I know these things are normal - all kinds of sales, discounts, coupons, etc. But for some reason I feel sorry for the people that bought the product for a certain price, whereas other people received a discount..

Greetings

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Give em 50% coupon for future purchases of something else.

You could also offer discount to new clients but bind to some external event - Black Friday or other - with limited time or end date, then discontinue it.

I share your opinion that giving others 50%, after one bought it, leaves bad taste in ones mouth.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Obviously we would all like to have everything for nothing, however if I bought your widget for £x then I was happy that that figure represented a good deal to me at time of purchase.

The fact you discount it later on is irrelevant to me and 99.9% of your buyers because we bought it when we wanted it.

I bought a new laptop last week. Well, it is obvious that in 6 weeks time it will be sold for less in the New Year Sales. However, it might also sell out and then I am stuck researching other models etc etc.

I don't need to worry about will it be available in 6 weeks and will I have to wake up early and haul myself to the shop to find the person in front of me has bought the last one.

I already have it and use it.

Hope that makes sense.

Dan

PS: You should have a reason to discount so I hope you aren't just writing 50% off as that would make me think twice about using you again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.