The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shopify blog posts waste of time?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
It’s not all about conversions, if you have the time to add valuable content to your store in the way of blogs then do it. Share them to social media, get your stuff out there.

JordanS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 8, 2014
You are right about them not having a very high conversion ratio, but they are basically set it and forget it. They will continue to bring in traffic over the long term and it only took an hour or two of your time to write.

It also gets people to know your brand name. Now you can re-target all your blog readers with an actual product ad that is related to the item they read a blog post about. When they see this ad they will recognize your branding, instead of it being a random site.

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
I would advice against using many of your daily hours writing blog posts for "long term".

With the amount of sales you currently have now my best advice is to to scale your ads and get more sales NOW, not in the "long term".

Long term is what? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? Who cares if you make 1 sale a month in 2 years from 50 blog posts, you could make those sales in a matter of a month or two if you focus on getting the sales NOW and thus better cashflow, assuming you are profitable of course.

When you get to a point where you can live from your webshop and you start to bank additional cash, you can start focusing on these kind of things.

Why spend so many hours doing this everyday, when you can essentially hire someone in 2 months for the money you are making.

This will not only give you so much more additional freetime, but it also wont burn you out that much, as writing these blog posts surely can be burning you out in my experience.

Don't view it as you need to do everything yourself, but view it in a way that you need to figure out where you can scale your business the fastest so that you can afford additional sales/marketing channels, such as SEO or whatever it may be.

Just my 2c

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Blog posts can bring you traffic. Traffic can convert to customers. I don't see why not to do it?
The reason I thought not to do it because I was thinking if the work/reward was worth it. Or am I looking at this too much from a product selling point? Is the whole idea to make yourself an authority so it makes life easier in the future when going to rank for more difficult stuff?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hi all,

So I am working on my Shopify store and I've got 10 sales or so since launch using FB ads, and it's going pretty decent. FB ads is one avenue of marketing that I am doing though I was reading that you shouldn't rely on only one channel so I've decided to do SEO. People are saying to do blog posts so they will hardly convert, I imagine they will have less than a 1% conversion rate so I can't see the value in it.

I am going to try Google display ads also and going to use Facebook's lookalike audience feature once I get 100 customers (because you can't do it lower than that). So what do you guys think of blog posts for Shopify SEO?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MarkHenry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 13, 2019
Yes, JordanS,
You are right.

For long term issue, everyone should go with this SEO tactic. It will bring you a good result in the long run. They are not for an instant result.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You are right about them not having a very high conversion ratio, but they are basically set it and forget it. They will continue to bring in traffic over the long term and it only took an hour or two of your time to write.

It also gets people to know your brand name. Now you can re-target all your blog readers with an actual product ad that is related to the item they read a blog post about. When they see this ad they will recognize your branding, instead of it being a random site.
I guess that makes sense over a long-term perspective. I am trying to do one blog a day, now to target for as many keywords as possible as my long-term strategy while using facebook ads and google ads for short term.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I would advice against using many of your daily hours writing blog posts for "long term".

With the amount of sales you currently have now my best advice is to to scale your ads and get more sales NOW, not in the "long term".

Long term is what? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? Who cares if you make 1 sale a month in 2 years from 50 blog posts, you could make those sales in a matter of a month or two if you focus on getting the sales NOW and thus better cashflow, assuming you are profitable of course.

When you get to a point where you can live from your webshop and you start to bank additional cash, you can start focusing on these kind of things.

Why spend so many hours doing this everyday, when you can essentially hire someone in 2 months for the money you are making.

This will not only give you so much more additional freetime, but it also wont burn you out that much, as writing these blog posts surely can be burning you out in my experience.

Don't view it as you need to do everything yourself, but view it in a way that you need to figure out where you can scale your business the fastest so that you can afford additional sales/marketing channels, such as SEO or whatever it may be.

Just my 2c
Now I am having a big issue. I am unable to get sales anymore they just aren't biting anymore. Even with the same ads and configurations. I wonder if its because my potential reach is only 60k people. For now I have to do everything myself because I am burning cash and have always been lol. I need to get to the point where I am making a profit. I have never been able to do that.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

Just my 2c
Hey wanted to ask you regarding this, I have already invested about $800 in fb ads, over $100 in Google Ads, if I do hire someone obviously a big cost going into the picture. Do you think it's an ok idea to forget about the cost for now and just focus on making the business grow?

G

Guest70495

What type of ads are you advertising on FB(PPE, Conv, Traffic) There should be no way you're losing that kind of money on FB. Your reach is beyond awful, there is no way to scale on that tiny audience, always try to keep audience size 2 Mil+ to create a well-rounded pixel rather than a laser-focused one.
What are your CPC, CTR, and ROAS?
From what you've written the product seems to be the problem.

Google Display, yes it's very common to see 1k spend and zero sales. Its infested with bots and honestly don't bother with it unless you have a tracking setup with honeypots, which is hard to do on Shopify.
Just check your "Where my ads were placed" section on Google Dashboard, you'll see 70% malware apps and click fraud sites as top clicks.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
I started building a blog strategy for my business this year.

From the start, I kept 2 things in mind:

1. It's definitely a long-term strategy, and may not have any sizable payback for at least 1-2 years
2. I'm willing to put in a good bit of resources before ever seeing results that are worth-while

I've outsourced pretty much everything.

I hired an SEO keyword research expert to provide relevant long-tail keywords, handed those off to my writer (who is an expert in my market) to write long-form content on the topics, I make sure everything is SEO optimized on the site (this is still a work in progress), and I publish 1-2 articles per week.

It's been almost 5 months with around 25 articles published, and I'm already starting to see some results. I check SEM Rush occasionally for reference, and my site's organic traffic score on there has increased by 10X since January of this year (although there's still a long way to go).

I probably spend around $100 on each article by the time everything is done, and I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

Also, if your site isn't optimized for a high conversion rate, it will be hard to get a lot of value out of blogging, even if it is massively successful. My conversion rate over the past year is 4%, and my revenue tracks almost 1:1 with site visitors. If your business isn't established yet, blogging isn't for you.

Robert Brown

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 21, 2019
The process will take a lot of time. It is true that you will get relevant traffic on a regular basis. So, you should invest your time here. We all know that work time = money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.