The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

She's going to leave her kid behind to travel the world with me...

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Ignore the title of the thread for a moment, because it's there for a reason, and listen to this story instead...we'll get back to it...

You see, I just got into a conversation with my friend about the ethics of how much we are learning about unconscious influence...where does one draw the line at manipulation?

You see, last year, I met this girl who was stuck at a rough time in her life. She was doing some drugs, was being a "less than perfect" mother to her newborn son, and the son would have probably been off doing better if he was raised by his grandma.

I feel I could help this girl....she's at a dead-end job that she hates, is down on life, and things are only going to go down from here.

So I figured, I could allow her to realize that she could tag along and travel the world with me for 3 months, while the son gets the proper care from the grandmother, and by the time she gets back, I would have helped her out of the rough time she is having in life (because that's what I do for a living).

So she would be back, a better mother, who is capable of getting a better job for herself, and to live a better life.

I suggested that if she sold her beat-up car, she could use that money to buy a plane ticket and travel for a bit, instead of having to pay for more gas, insurance and repairs....

OR

"I manipulated a girl to leave her newborn son behind, quit her job, and sell her car so she can travel the world with me"

Now, forget the story about the girl. The girl doesn't matter. I made it up...well no, I didn't...but maybe I did? Either way, that's not important.

This is not a lesson in Ethics, this is a lesson in Frame Control.

You see, the person with the stronger frame is the frame that wins.

In both instances above, the same thing happened, but the way you describe it makes an entirely different emotional impact on the person you're communicating with.

Politics aside, Donald Trump knows how to hold the frame in his control. There is a book called Pitch Anything, where he talks about frame control in his ability to raise billions of dollars for companies from investors.

When they describe an idea...

When they sell a product...

Their frame (their confidence in their deilvery) is so strong that the worlds they are saying is the only truth, that everybody else buys into that truth. This is why politicians can say two conflicting statements and when somebody challenges them, they can say anything they want...and the majority of people will believe them...

Because they know how important it is to learn frame control.

The story of the beginning is just an example of two different frames. The first one, with all the emotional details about it is obviously the stronger frame....

So who's frame is stronger? How AWESOME your product is for the customers benefit, and their lives are WORSE OFF without it? Or "please buy my product" and look like a little poor 6 year old child out of some 1930's depression-era movie begging for change.

A few people may feel bad for him and he may make a little change begging...but that poor little 6 year old boy could have had one hell of a fastlane business if he actually put this frame control to use immediately.

So why not hold yourself and your business to a higher frame, as long as your product delivers?

People will sense the confidence, and when your frame is stronger than theirs ,they will but into it as well, with their dollars...and everybody will benefit when you start using a stronger frame in your business or brand today.

Now....what questions do you have about frame control as it applies to growing your business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldRider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 4, 2012
How do you change your frame? I have the frame that selling is bad, selling is manipulating the other person into buying the product. I know I have to change the frame. But I don't know WHAT frames I need to replace the older ones with.

palneoon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
883%
Sep 24, 2019
How do you change your frame? I have the frame that selling is bad, selling is manipulating the other person into buying the product. I know I have to change the frame. But I don't know WHAT frames I need to replace the older ones with.
You are helping them get where they want to be. Much like a doctor, you are diagnosing their problem, and offering a cure. Incidentally, this frame will make much, much better at selling.

GoldRider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 4, 2012
You are helping them get where they want to be. Much like a doctor, you are diagnosing their problem, and offering a cure. Incidentally, this frame will make much, much better at selling.
And like I have the best cure , best than the rest.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I have the frame that selling is bad, selling is manipulating the other person into buying the product.
Selling is bad (immoral) if you're selling a product that you KNOW will hurt the customer (even if the customer happens to think it will benefit him). For example, if you're selling crack cocaine.

On the other hand, if you're selling a product that you know will benefit and help your customer, that is very moral and good. You are an agent of change, someone who is helping your customer solve a problem and improve his life.

And no, your product doesn't have to be the "best". It just has to solve whatever problem your customer has.

So you can reframe this by understanding that selling in and of itself is neither bad nor good. It's a skill, like any other skill, and whether it's bad or good is determined by how you use it, and what your intentions are.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Feb 8, 2019
If your customer doesn't buy your product, you have to face 3 problems to make it better the next time.

A) Your customer doesn't understand your product
B) Your Product doesn't speak to the self-interest of your customer
C) Your customer dont need your product

If you can't sell your product you can change 2 of 3 problems into a positive direction.

Talking about frame control wont change anything in customer's behaviour. Your goal is to sell your product and to create a hype around it. Convert people into fanatics for your product. Let them recommend it to others and spread the message: How great your product is and what kind of a great impact it has into the lives of others. You will get for every Dollar you invest 10 back.

Frame Control sounds like: If you dont have the quality, just believe you have one and also believe that the customer believes it. This attitude is also a short term solution to take the money from the customer's pocket. If you spend your time thinking about Frame Control during the conversation you are maybe insecure about your product and maybe about yourself.

Even if the example of the drug addicted mother is just a fantasy of yours it still shows that the Frame Control only works on people with serious issues. It sounds more that she is depending on you to have finally stability in her life and you abuse her mentally to let her sell the last things she has so you can tell to everybody: I can bring drug addicted mother's to do want I want. Even using this example shows what kind of a Mental - Level you let your readers walk through: on the lowest.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Or... just sell what people need without the hype.

Not everyone wants the sizzle. They just want steak, kwim? They can have it fast, cheap or good, pick 2. I'm not cheap, so my goods are fast and good. That's it.

Here's a couple of examples:
A LinkedIn 'strategist' had a free 5-point method to get more customers from LI. BUT it took 5 text interchanges, 3 nosy questions, my email address, and a 45-minute video to give me those 5 points. I would have MUCH preferred a LI message with them, given as soon as I said I wanted it.

I want a car. Here's the current process: I'm supposed to walk onto a lot, have the sharks jump me, explaining everything I never wanted to know about a car that's too expensive, so I can be hustled by the finance guy. I hate that. I want to go online, find a car I like, call the dealership, pay over the phone, and have it delivered.

AND, my customers buy like me. Simple, direct, effective. No framing, no story-telling. Just providing what they need.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
This concept is something I always knew existed but never really thought about in a clear way.

Thanks a lot for this post, it really made me be able to grasp it much better.

Regarding application: I can think of a ton of ways to apply this in my business, which I will starting tommorow morning lol! Thanks a lot once again.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Politics aside, Donald Trump knows how to hold the frame in his control. There is a book called Pitch Anything, where he talks about frame control in his ability to raise billions of dollars for companies from investors.
Whoops!

Sorry, but it’s not Trump who wrote the book.
Oren Klaff wrote Pitch Anything- and yes, he’s in investment banking.

At the end of the book though, he talked about an entire pitch from a real life deal for his-for a mega-airport project, which used all the stuff in the book.

One of the best pitch case studied I have seen.

But Trump does know something about frame control. Tweets, China deal, Iran...something it makes you wonder,’What he’s getting at?’

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.