The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

She Left a $60k Job to Freelance...

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
My wife isn't a member on this board, so I'm posting for her.

Back in February, she started freelancing. She's never had a side hustle. Never started a business. Never freelanced. She had a $60k salary at her full-time job. In her first month freelancing, she closed around $100 and doubted it was worth her time. Toward the end of March, when the pandemic picked up, she asked her employer to let her work from home. They refused. She quit.

Now we're in November. She never went back to a job. Instead, this month she'll pull $4,500 and may break $5,000 for the first time. Over the course of one year, she's doubled her income about once every three months. Today she works from home with me full-time and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed.

She has the advantage of being around someone with a business mindset who trains freelancers. But I've provided little overall support in terms of advice. She simply hasn't asked for it, except when she's really stuck. Instead, she just looks at what others are doing and figures out how to be better.

The most noticeable takeaways I've seen from her progress are:
  • She went all-in even when she didn't know if it would work
  • She focused on daily action
  • She studied others and tested new ideas
  • She got rid of stuff that didn't work fast
  • She's committed to excellence in her deliverables
  • She committed to doing things others won't do to land clients
  • She took risks instead of cowering from them
  • She stuck with it for the long-haul
This month will be the first time she's fully replaced her old income. I don't think she'll stop there. Instead, she's likely to cross six-figures in 2021, and I think she'll see a 5-figure monthly income by March. She loves what she's doing, and when she commits to something, she has a one-track mind that lets her stay focused.

Anyway, thought I'd share this win this morning. It's pretty cool that we both work on our own terms, and neither of us works anywhere near full-time. She works a couple of hours per day, and I don't consider what I do to be work. Most days we spend with our daughter. Teach her things. Go to the park or for ice cream while others are at work.

Freelancing is still viable as a way to replace income. Doesn't have to be through Upwork. You just have to commit to figuring it out and make it happen. Stop making excuses.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Raja

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 31, 2019
Hey @Lex DeVille ,
mind sharing with us what channels she used?

also for my niche specifically Upwork have a very poor quality of the jobs, do you have suggestions for a non-US resident.

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
Hey @Lex DeVille ,
mind sharing with us what channels she used?

also for my niche specifically Upwork have a very poor quality of the jobs, do you have suggestions for a non-US resident.

She started on Upwork, then took clients through referrals from other clients. Most of her clients are from referrals now, and are not through Upwork.

As for advice, if you know the jobs on Upwork are poor quality for your niche, then you either pick a different niche, learn a different skill, or find clients outside of Upwork. Has nothing to do with where you are from.

Primeperiwinkle

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
First, I believe this is possible for anybody. Your threads are Gold for a reason- they’ve helped a ton of people. I think a lot of people need more than just encouragement though so I’m gonna ask a few questions if you don’t mind.

If she had a 60k job before freelancing most ppl will just assume she had skills in something before launching out on her own. She probably didn’t have to learn how to do whatever it is she’s helping clients with. Or am I wrong?

“She studied others..” Does this mean she looked at other people’s profiles on Upwork abd created her own like theirs or something else? I just don’t get exactly what that part looks like.

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
First, I believe this is possible for anybody. Your threads are Gold for a reason- they’ve helped a ton of people. I think a lot of people need more than just encouragement though so I’m gonna ask a few questions if you don’t mind.

If she had a 60k job before freelancing most ppl will just assume she had skills in something before launching out on her own. She probably didn’t have to learn how to do whatever it is she’s helping clients with. Or am I wrong?

“She studied others..” Does this mean she looked at other people’s profiles on Upwork abd created her own like theirs or something else? I just don’t get exactly what that part looks like.

No worries. Ask away. I don't have the full details of everything she has done to get to this point, because I mostly stay out of her business unless she has specific questions. But I can answer based on my observations.

My wife has an Associates degree in Financial Management and a Bachelor's degree in Accounting. She previously worked as a Financial Management Comptroller for the Air Force, a Budget Analyst for the federal government, and finally as a Budget Analyst for a local company when we relocated. In short, she's packed with experience and education.

But her freelance skill has nothing to do with any of those. She started with a new skill and learned from scratch. I won't say which skill because she asked me not to, and she will read this thread at some point. But I can say that it is a skill she has never done before. She wanted a fresh start.

Studying others can mean a lot of things. In this case, as far as I know, she reviewed profiles, and more recently has spent time learning how others are using social media platforms like twitter, reddit, and linkedin to promote their services.

She's looking at people who offer the same service, and trying to identify their shortcomings. She's also used this to identify a niche she can serve within the industry and has stuck closely to that niche offering 2-3 core services to attract clients, then works hard to overdeliver when she lands one.

When she studies other people, she tries to identify what doesn't work that she can improve, and what does work that she can piggyback off of. I hope that answers your question.

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
It does. Thank you!

It's also worth mentioning that she's started to expand beyond direct client services through her website to more scalable recurring revenue models. This is part of the amounts indicated in the first post. She can help more people with her paid membership, and cut back on the work she has to do to maintain current income levels while she grows.

Primeperiwinkle

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
It's also worth mentioning that she's started to expand beyond direct client services through her website to more scalable recurring revenue models. This is part of the amounts indicated in the first post. She can help more people with her paid membership, and cut back on the work she has to do to maintain current income levels while she grows.
Yep, she’s amazing. You should keep her. Lol.

Andy Black

Dad, Husband, Inbound Marketeer
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well done Mrs DeVille!

DiamondDog

Contributor
Dec 3, 2016
Well that's something!

Congrats to your wife.

I have been toying with the idea of learning a new skill from scratch AND working for free for forum members in the beginning.

This has inspired me to go forward with that. I'll post a thread soon with the details.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Zahida A. Khan

Contributor
Jun 11, 2020
Toronto
My wife isn't a member on this board, so I'm posting for her.
<snipped>
Freelancing is still viable as a way to replace income. Doesn't have to be through Upwork. You just have to commit to figuring it out and make it happen. Stop making excuses.
Hey Lex, congratulations to your wife and always a delight when I hear a husband praise his wife

You rock, dude!!
Cheers, Z'da

MrChud

New Contributor
Oct 31, 2020
Awesome advice and your wife is an example of the correct mindset to have! Thank you for sharing this, it's inspiring!

_Seba_

Contributor
Jun 24, 2015
Germany
Send this thread to my girlfriend, she is one or two steps away from starting freelancing on her own, maybe it helps her to believe. Thanks for sharing Lex!

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom