- Dec 10, 2014
Edit: I called a few government bodies, custom brokers and clarified with my supplier today and found out the following:Hi Walter, I am in talks with a Chinese supplier to import $6000 of goods, including freight costs.
They told me it’s a ‘door to door service via sea freight but not DDP because they don’t know Australia’s duties’. He said it’s DDU.
He explained to me the process:
1. I pay for the order
2. They’ll produce and send to Australia
3. They pay duty and taxes and clear customs
4. They invoice me for the duties and taxes
5. I pay that
6. They deliver to my door after I pay
Does this sound right?
Thanks in advance!
- Supplier will deliver door to door via sea freight
- Upon arrival, their agent will pay duties/tax and clear customs on my behalf
- They will contact me to authorise them to clear customs on my behalf
- They will then invoice me the duties/tax
- Once I reimburse them, they will deliver to my door
Hope that helps for anyone wondering the same thing. Cheers.