The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

seo sources

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
i'm diving more into SEO. i've read a few pdf files that contain some great info.

for those who are SEO experts, would you recommend some online resources and other reading material that could help with some basic and necessary concepts?

thanks in advance,
ryan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Seomoz.com
seobook.com etc etc

There are a lot of resources, Just a question which may help you realize something. If you do not know much about SEO, how do you know what you have read already is good info?

Seo world is full of theory, so a lot of what you learn will be in testing. Make sure your on page SEO is 100% correct, that accounts for < 10% of your ranking factor. The rest is all off page SEO. SEOmoz has a ton of good info for free, check it out, and come back with specific questions we can answer for you.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Those mentioned above are pretty much the bible for seo.

Like lighthouse said, most is theory but some isn't. SEO is a constant learning process.

What have you learned or want to learn about SEO

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
Seomoz.com
seobook.com etc etc

There are a lot of resources, Just a question which may help you realize something. If you do not know much about SEO, how do you know what you have read already is good info?

Seo world is full of theory, so a lot of what you learn will be in testing. Make sure your on page SEO is 100% correct, that accounts for < 10% of your ranking factor. The rest is all off page SEO. SEOmoz has a ton of good info for free, check it out, and come back with specific questions we can answer for you.

lighthouse, perhaps i should have said "seems" like good info. i was going through what others, who were more familiar in this field than myself, sent me to review.

i appreciate the links you sent, and hope they provide some more insite to SEO.

ryan

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
lighthouse, perhaps i should have said "seems" like good info. i was going through what others, who were more familiar in this field than myself, sent me to review.

i appreciate the links you sent, and hope they provide some more insite to SEO.

ryan

Good idea! I posed that question to merley open your mind not to be rude.

If i was you starting out, i would look up everything on on-page SEO at those two sites. Make sure each page is correct on your site for the keywords or phrases you would like to rank for.

Then work on off page SEO which the basis of is link building. There is miles of info on that. i would not even start that until everything inside your site is correct.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Also know that SEO is what makes or breaks your business if you don't have money for advertising.
I've seen one day where a site was on page ten at google and made nothing. By the next week it was on the first page and made $100,000 in one day.

You find a way to get on google's first page for free and you could potentionally make millions and that's exactly what seo is.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Good idea! I posed that question to merley open your mind not to be rude.

If i was you starting out, i would look up everything on on-page SEO at those two sites. Make sure each page is correct on your site for the keywords or phrases you would like to rank for.

Then work on off page SEO which the basis of is link building. There is miles of info on that. i would not even start that until everything inside your site is correct.

I would also join the Warrior Forum.

You have people like John Reese, Willie Crawford and many other extreme players. Some who have made $1,000,000 in ONE day through internet marketing.

These people know SEO.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I would also join the Warrior Forum.

You have people like John Reese, Willie Crawford and many other extreme players. Some who have made $1,000,000 in ONE day through internet marketing.

These people know SEO.

A forum esp of internet marketers is something i would def avoid until you know something about SEO and you already have a head start. Going into an IM forum like that will over fill you with information that you wont be able to tell if it is correct or if someone is just selling you on something. I have a subscription there and only go occasionally to pick through... and i mean really pick through all the BS to find good solid info.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Got this SPAM in my inbox today, no idea whether it is worthwhile but it is on topic... the author did ask that it not be forwarded widely - kinda funny when he sent it out as unsolicited SPAM in a blast so I don't feel guilty. Maybe I should post it on a forum for bored and lonely stalkers...

Good day,

I came across your company in my research on potential firms and marketers (ad agencies, PR firms) that may be active in "Internet Marketing," including S.E.O. or Search Engine Optimization for ranking higher on Google.

I'd like to invite you to my upcoming free webinar on the "Top Ten Free Tools for S.E.O. / Google Rank" being held online on Oct 8th and 12th. The webinar is free, and the tools I identify are free as well - all are focused on helping you and your company improve your rank on Google searches.

To see more details on the eg3.com class I am teaching and register -

Search Engine Optimization - FREE SEO Training Online - JasonMcDonald.org

> I am usually too busy to offer this webinar, except a few times each year.

> Because it identifies the best free tools for SEO and ways to leverage
Google's free (aka "organic") listings - it usually fills up when I do offer it.

> About me - I am a researcher, journalist, and teacher living in the SF
> Bay Area
working more on Google and S.E.O. issues.

I do hope you can make it. It will be well worth your time!

Best regards,

Jason McDonald
j.mcdonald@seo-webinars.org

p.s. - I'd prefer that you minimize any forwarding of this announcement to colleagues as the webinars do usually fill up, and I try to limit the attendence to seriously minded marketers, ad agencies types, PR firms, etc.

* To remove yourself from my contact list -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In prosperity we are popular...
- Mark Twain, The American Claimant

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
I am new to the internet game so am probably way off base (especially, since my view is different than those on this thread).

I think that SEO is a losers game in that the main focus of Google (or any other search engine) is to eliminate it.

An ideal search engine is one that brings your desired result to light not one that can be gamed.

I realize that the current can system be gamed, but in the end feel that SEO will become irrelevant (ie. you won't be able to game the system to the point of having a crappy site on the first page and push the useful ones off).

So I am putting nearly all my focus on generating content that people will find useful

The long term goal of search engines is to bring the pages that people find the most useful to its first page - in a way this is getting aligned with what we all want out of search engine.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@MrPink

I agree. I put 100% focus on the end user on my sites; however, you still have to make your site's robot friendly and solid and each unique meta title and descriptions. I focus on making my sites to start off with SEO friendly, after that, I don't put any work into link building, etc. because if you focus on doing the best at what you offer, the result will come in the long run.

A few MUST do SEO are:
-301 redirect from non www. to www.
-Submit and verify sites with webmaster tools of Google, Yahoo, and Bing
-404 not found redirect page
-Each page has a solid and unique title and description
-Make sure it loads fast without alot of jumble.. use websitegrader.com or websiteoptimization.com's analyze tools to check your speed.
-Make a robots.txt file
-Optimize and give every picture an alt tag
-Try to make it as lean as possible in coding, stay away from javascript and stick to CSS and html if you can.

James F.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
A forum esp of internet marketers is something i would def avoid until you know something about SEO and you already have a head start. Going into an IM forum like that will over fill you with information that you wont be able to tell if it is correct or if someone is just selling you on something. I have a subscription there and only go occasionally to pick through... and i mean really pick through all the BS to find good solid info.

All experienced internet marketers know that there is a plethora of information there. Are you saying you don't want to learn from the best since there is so much information?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've recently begun concentrating more on on-page content and adding alot more content vs. link building. At some point you hit an SERP wall and all the links in the world don't seem to help. I've found some of the stuff on bluehat seo. com pretty interesting.

The next time I start a site, I am going to change up my strategy from the start. Have you noticed that google results now are very dynamic and change hourly even on the front page? Have you also noticed that the results are also greatly diverisified now? Google is changing their results by widening them, then as they understand your search pattern, they then narrow down your results.

For example:
If you type in Clint Eastwood and google has no data on you or your browser, it will serve up results of Clint Eastwood as an actor, director, movie titles, mayor, photos, videos, blog about clint. If you click movies, the next search you do for him may be weighted more towards movies than say as mayor.

Now you go type in Arnold Schwartzenegger and google will most likely return his movies as results.

If you clicked on Clint as a mayor, what type of results do you think the Arnold search would have given you?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
All experienced internet marketers know that there is a plethora of information there. Are you saying you don't want to learn from the best since there is so much information?

This fellow isnt an experienced internet marketer, and like i said there is good content there but unless you know what you are doing it is hard to cut through the weeds. There is a ton of weeds over there.

I've recently begun concentrating more on on-page content and adding alot more content vs. link building. At some point you hit an SERP wall and all the links in the world don't seem to help. I've found some of the stuff on bluehat seo. com pretty interesting.

The next time I start a site, I am going to change up my strategy from the start. Have you noticed that google results now are very dynamic and change hourly even on the front page? Have you also noticed that the results are also greatly diverisified now? Google is changing their results by widening them, then as they understand your search pattern, they then narrow down your results.

For example:
If you type in Clint Eastwood and google has no data on you or your browser, it will serve up results of Clint Eastwood as an actor, director, movie titles, mayor, photos, videos, blog about clint. If you click movies, the next search you do for him may be weighted more towards movies than say as mayor.

Now you go type in Arnold Schwartzenegger and google will most likely return his movies as results.

If you clicked on Clint as a mayor, what type of results do you think the Arnold search would have given you?

Yup this is true, more so if you have web history enabled and you are logged in but i think the cache helps it if you leave a browser session open. I have gone the whole specturm now and i am still trying to hammer out a game winner for each site. The thing is it will always change so its something you have to keep up with.

crystite

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 20, 2009
@MrPink

I agree. I put 100% focus on the end user on my sites; however, you still have to make your site's robot friendly and solid and each unique meta title and descriptions. I focus on making my sites to start off with SEO friendly, after that, I don't put any work into link building, etc. because if you focus on doing the best at what you offer, the result will come in the long run.

James F.

While content should cater to what the target audience needs or wants, it can fast track your success if you spend some time building backlinks.

crystite

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 20, 2009
I am new to the internet game so am probably way off base (especially, since my view is different than those on this thread).

I think that SEO is a losers game in that the main focus of Google (or any other search engine) is to eliminate it.

An ideal search engine is one that brings your desired result to light not one that can be gamed.

I realize that the current can system be gamed, but in the end feel that SEO will become irrelevant (ie. you won't be able to game the system to the point of having a crappy site on the first page and push the useful ones off).

So I am putting nearly all my focus on generating content that people will find useful

The long term goal of search engines is to bring the pages that people find the most useful to its first page - in a way this is getting aligned with what we all want out of search engine.

Good luck on waiting for the ideal search engine to emerge. With your approach, you could be missing out on a whole lot of earnings now. I don't see why you can't have SEO and quality content together.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@crystite

True, back links can fast track to success. I definitely spend some time in the beginning submitting and doing tons of linking. However, eventually you will hit a wall when whatever you do, you won't rank higher. The key advantage and difference when you hit this stage when you feel can't go any higher is because your competitors are building and focusing on the end user. Which in turn, organically create back links.

Someone with a site that's virally creating backlinks from providing great content to users (example, one of mine right now) will rank higher than someone that spends all day creating artificial backlinks. The sites linking back to me will all generally have higher pageranks and more related to my content. Plus the traffic from those links will all be legit and targetted visitors actually using my site.

Rakona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Jul 14, 2009
Good luck on waiting for the ideal search engine to emerge. With your approach, you could be missing out on a whole lot of earnings now. I don't see why you can't have SEO and quality content together.

Agreed! To me it's a bit like saying the best chef should have the busiest restaurant on his skills alone.

A REAL online business is like an offline one. All parts must be firing on all cylinder. SEO is just on of many parts you need.

If you put out great content, and your competitor puts out great content, but he puts the keyword you're both going after in his h1 tag & title tag and the other basics, shame on you for not doing the same if this is the business you're getting into to.

I don't think will Google or anyone ever find this altruistic, absolute "best" no matter how good the algorithm gets.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
how would you guys recommend i obtain backlinks if i doesn't make much sense for me to put links on my site? basically, i can't do an exchange with other professonals because it doesn't fit the scope of my site.

having that said, i would still like to obtain links to my site for the services i provide. any ideas?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
how would you guys recommend i obtain backlinks if i doesn't make much sense for me to put links on my site? basically, i can't do an exchange with other professonals because it doesn't fit the scope of my site.

having that said, i would still like to obtain links to my site for the services i provide. any ideas?

Type in the keyword you want to rank for in google.

Copy the URL of the first result and go to Site Explorer - Yahoo! Site Explorer and paste the URL. It will list all the backlinks of that site.

Go down the list and visit each site and see what type of links they are.

Email the website owner and ask them to put your link on their page
Submit your site if possible
Comment on posts if its a blog
Post if its a forum

Go to site #2 and repeat.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
internal linking guys

Example: character replacement w/ alternating anchors/destinations

wp? wpomatic

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Email the website owner and ask them to put your link on their page
Submit your site if possible
Comment on posts if its a blog
Post if its a forum

Go to site #2 and repeat.

I remember you mentioned a while back that you are outsourcing this tasks. Are you still doing so?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I remember you mentioned a while back that you are outsourcing this tasks. Are you still doing so?

No, I haven't been doing that task for a while. I usually do that task only in the first few days of a new site.

I have been outsourcing things like forums, article writing and general linking but not that much.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
biophase,

the yahoo explorer i use..which is helpful.

you have people write your articles? how has this panned out for you? i'm weary on outsourcing this to people in other countries who don't have a firm grasp about what my busines does.

ryan

Hate to say this, but your outsourced articles aren't being written for quality of content. They are just written for the sake of having articles to submit on other sites.

You can write good articles for yourself, but keep those on your site for onpage SEO. Use the crappy articles for inbound links.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
SEO is hit and miss, reading about it will only teach you 10% of what you need to know.

To be honest, spend 3 days reading about it, and spend the next 3 months trying it out, you will be pretty qualify by then.

A lot of people like to "theorize" about SEO on forums, on books, but some of them are out right not true.

For example when I was hired to do some in house SEO for a retailer, my boss, who goes to a lot of SEO conference tells me to avoid getting links with no follow tags, he said it was useless. Well Mr. Boss man, its damn impossible to get links that are not 'no follow' unless I do link baiting, but the site doesn't offer good content so what do you want me to do?????

I went ahead and gotten tones of links that has 'no follow' tags on them, since they were told to be useless for SEO everywhere, no one would touch them. But in 2 months, the term I was working for, ranked #2 on Google against 5.1 million search results, and we made close to 30k on that term alone during Halloween :)

Oh yeah may I add, because I was a college intern, I made 12 bucks per hour, I asked for a raise a year later and got 50 cents. Never again am I going to let someone reap my benefits like that

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
SEO is hit and miss, reading about it will only teach you 10% of what you need to know.

To be honest, spend 3 days reading about it, and spend the next 3 months trying it out, you will be pretty qualify by then.

A lot of people like to "theorize" about SEO on forums, on books, but some of them are out right not true.

For example when I was hired to do some in house SEO for a retailer, my boss, who goes to a lot of SEO conference tells me to avoid getting links with no follow tags, he said it was useless. Well Mr. Boss man, its damn impossible to get links that are not 'no follow' unless I do link baiting, but the site doesn't offer good content so what do you want me to do?????

I went ahead and gotten tones of links that has 'no follow' tags on them, since they were told to be useless for SEO everywhere, no one would touch them. But in 2 months, the term I was working for, ranked #2 on Google against 5.1 million search results, and we made close to 30k on that term alone during Halloween :)

Oh yeah may I add, because I was a college intern, I made 12 bucks per hour, I asked for a raise a year later and got 50 cents. Never again am I going to let someone reap my benefits like that

I dont think we have seen any major posts from you yet. Why not write up a good post on how you do your linking and the types of places as well. Share some info. it couls benifit a whole lot of the new guys around here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.