The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SEO for dummies - A thread that can help everyone!

Marketing, social media, advertising

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Sure sounds like a walking cliche title but here is something I try to do for every (marketing) client I have that will boost your page views and help your SEO rankings a lot.

Rule #1 It is simple and requires no effort but Google loves it, why because its run by google. So what better way to be liked more by the company than using their product.

Example: Let me google that for you

So what the hell is that, well it's something I accidentally found on a commont from a stupid facebook group photo. Literally someone asked whats a geek and then someone replied with this link.

So what is it. Well you type in what you want searched (your website, keyphrase, something related to your business) anything where your website name is #1 (this is assumed that your website name will dominate the first few links if now 1-2 pages).

So for example, I used my company Slickview Studios. It then has a short video/segment of google searching for it and then takes you to the google search where you can then click what it is. If someone does, it's very good for you because it's using multiple google links to get to you! This is great.

Anyways I think I said everything I can think of for that rule. If you have questions feel free to ask. If you have other tips on SEO post em here, lets help each other out a bit... right?

Anyways to be a bit selfish :p

1. Let me google that for you
2. Let me google that for you

Rule #2

As we already know google is our friend, and when we use google products google loves us even more. So what else can we do to make us look better. Well what is google known for. If you said stalking you and knowing everything about you, even where you live, you would be right. So to sum that up... Google Maps. Register your business with Google Maps. It is a very easy process that does wonders. This isn't something that will make you a million-dollar SEO brand but it does have benefits and takes seconds to implement so why not?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I just read about something similar by redirecting traffic back through Google to insert keywords into the redirect url. Not sure whether or not this stuff works, but tread carefully. I have a very strong feeling a LOT of spammers are about to abuse the shit out of similar tricks to try to get a leg up. It may work for a little while, but don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the a$$. Multi-billion dollar companies, especially G, tend to frown on the quick tricks.

As for SEO tips, always plan ahead. Get your on-site optimization in place before all else. Proper linking hierarchy, referring relevant keywords via anchor links within the text (careful on overdoing this), and all of the basic on-page stuff (titles, h1's, h2's, etc.).

As for backlinking strategy, diversity is king when paired with high PR sites that aren't overly exploited by spammers. It's all a balancing act, just like everything else in business.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Ungodly, what you said does hold some key points to consider. Albeit, I wouldn't be surprised if google stopped using/looking at meta tags, description, title, and all that stupid keyword stuff by the end of the year. It literally is pointless at this point as anyone can do it.

What they are going to look for is validity in content. Meaning if you claim you are the best carrot seller, your page should have all the information there is about carrots, and the only time an "orange" word is found in your passage is if you are describing the color of the carrot, otherwise your site becomes invalid and will most definitely lose ranking.

Last edited:

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Saying Google will quit using titles and the sort is a bit ridiculous. That IS one of the primary on-page ranking factors, it is your headline to the searchers to tell them what they are about to view. It doesn't matter if it is easy to do, G uses it to decide whether or not your page is relevant at all. In case you haven't noticed, when you search for something, usually the results that appear have that keyword in the title. They are a search engine, they need a simplified structure to search for. The title usually is that. As for content, I have personally ranked websites in competitive markets with complete bullshit content. Everyone content is king, but in terms of SEO, it depends.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Oh my bad, I don't think they are going to eliminate it from the code or crawlers, no not at all. Just that it won't have as much as an impact on your SEO content/ranking.

What I am saying is content is king we both can agree on that. And today, with SEO, it's important but not the golden rule. I believe it soon will be and just cause your title and description/meta tags are there doesnt mean anything. Like seriously does the geographical meta tag even do anything? That is just one example.

If you want good SEO rank, learn HTML5 and apply it to your site. Good use of HTML5 will make your website easier to crawl. Remember Google isn't human, they can't see what you see, but they can read the html and analyze based off their algorithm whether or not it "flows" and is consistent with what your site is about.

If I start talking about barbie dolls on my site, I dont care how "keyword" friendly or abused that paragraph is, it has nothing to do with what I do, google sees this and bam 1...2...3... your site just got a tally against it.

Edit:
To stress my point even more so, the way your page gets ranked (even more than anyone else) is if it is being shared. If I go to your site and love it, I might say hey Bob check this out, Sarah yea you too. Then Sarah and Bob might be like "wow this is awesome I need to reblog/ pin it, tweet it..." what ever. But the content you write is what made people share it. Not the little tricks with your keywords or titles or meta tag.

In fact, if you keyword abuse your site it will probably turn people off. Even more so, if you think you are saving a few $$ by having a template site, ads everywhere, 90% of the page useless crap, you are actually hurting yourself. You need content that relates to what you are selling.

Don't have massive links going elsewhere that are all equivalent. If you sell carrot recipes to lose weight you dont need to mention it 1000 times, just explain what they are, if you link stuff, dont link...

Carrot Recipe to help lose weight
Recipe to help lose weight using carrot
Lose weight with carrot recipe etc...

all that stuff is bad!!!

Ranting again. But yea, just trying to help :)

Last edited:

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Eh, you don't need to use HTML5 to rank well. I get by fine without it, with several sites in the #1-3 position with simple WP sites. One of he first clients that I did work for a while back is currently listing A in the map pack and position 1 directly under it for the target keyword across a fairly large geo. It wasn't because of HTML5, but because of a properly optimized on-page strategy with the addition of high PR backlinks and citations with correct information and reviews. Basically, all of the simple stuff works fine, even with the current algorithmic climate. Internal linking structure plays a crucial role as well to distribute the link power between your inner pages.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.