The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seniorpreneur Mindset

Anything related to matters of the mind

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I would be interested in some comments regarding what principles will be required to develop the right entrepreneurial:smxF: mindset for Seniors (60 Plus) to become more creative and productive in their retirement years?

Thanks.

Joe Wasylyk
Seniorpreneur

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Could yo help us out a little? What hurdles must be overcome? What fears does a retired person have that would keep them from doing anything like that?

I am guessing that most of them are on a fixed income and are scared of outliving their money. I would also guess that most of them are "safe" type investors. If that is true then any activity like that will have to be low cost.

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I think that a lack of money is not the primary obstacle to achieve the right seniorpreneur mindset. I really believe that there are too many seniors(60 Plus) that focus just on entitlement and consumption type of activites such as playing golf, going to the shopping mall, watching TV, etc. I agree that low cost business opportunities will be an important consideration; however, we need to discuss how more seniors can become more creative and productive in order to achieve the right seniorpreneur mindset.

Joe Wasylyk
Seniorpreneur

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I think that a lack of money is not the primary obstacle to achieve the right seniorpreneur mindset. I really believe that there are too many seniors(60 Plus) that focus just on entitlement and consumption type of activites such as playing golf, going to the shopping mall, watching TV, etc. I agree that low cost business opportunities will be an important consideration; however, we need to discuss how more seniors can become more creative and productive in order to achieve the right seniorpreneur mindset.

Joe Wasylyk
Seniorpreneur

Great, that's what I mean by a little help. Most of us here are not seniors and don't have that mindset. For me to help solve a problem I have to know where we are now and where we want to be.

The only senior that I spend some time with is my retired dad. He's been retired for 2-3 years. He lives on a fixed income and would love to have more money coming in. He's not tech proficient and probably not willing to spend the time to develop any businesses. Is he typical of seniors?

So, please fill me in. What are seniors thinking, doing, expecting, other than what you have said, and what do you define as the seniorpreneur mindset?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I think the biggest obstacle for seniors -- as andviv may have said in an older thread -- is getting rid of old ways. Many seniors struggle to learn new things, either because they don't want to or because they're too intimidated by new things at their age.

I see this a lot with my grandparents. They're all in their 80s. One of my grandmothers, who works in my dad's office, uses the computer just about everyday. The other seem to be intimidated by it; they'll read something online if I show it to them, but they don't seem to care about trying it out themselves.

They've been set in their ways for so long that trying something new has got to be pretty scary for them.

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
Both of you I believe are probably on the right track regarding the current behavior of Seniors (60 Plus) where too many are on fixed incomes, afraid of the new technology and timid to try something new. I think in order to motivate or empower Seniors to become entrepreneurs it will necessarily involve participation in Lifelong Learning educational courses OR be willing to create a new business idea from scratch and then have the courage to dream and develop that idea with the help of other people. However; I believe that many Seniors (60 Plus) after they have left the corporate world become isolated and possibly too negative to incur the necessary changes to become an entrepreneur. Also,we need government funded or if possible private sources in order to develop 'business support programs' to make it easier for Seniors to make this transition from ending corporate life to becoming an entrepreneur IF this is the desired lifestyle choice.

Joe Wasylyk
Seniorpreneur

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!