The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling to L.A From Australia...

Marketing, social media, advertising

PRO2018

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 20, 2017
IMO, test in the market you want to serve, then you are not second guessing. Yes, its more work as you are based in Sydney. Use FBA, if you intend to sell via Amazon or if you are using other sales channels, use other fulfilment facilities based in the US. Send the product direct to the fulfilment facility and start selling. This way you will know if this will be a winner product in one step instead of 2. Besides you will need to do this and figure this out anyway as your goal is to enter the US market. Hope this helps!

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I am in the midst of launching my first eCommerce venture with one specific product.

The product is unique (no one else has done it before) and solves an existing problem. Big market size as well.

Every single day on social media and the internet, I see people complaining about this problem.

I am targeting Males aged 18-35.

I am based in Sydney, Australia.

However since the product is the first of it's kind, I want to go straight for the U.S due to it's scale.

More specifically, I want to target Los Angeles and start from there due to it being the most early adopter friendly for my product.

My marketing strategy is to do Instagram Micro Influencer Marketing in 1 specific city + PR Marketing. I want to saturate 1 city by targeting it through the above mechanisms of marketing.

Questions

Given I'm starting out and currently living in Sydney, I will have to manage the orders, marketing, etc all being focused on Los Angeles. My supplier is in Europe.

1) What's your opinions/experience on selling overseas in eCommerce? (Eg. Dealing with fulfilment, laws, online marketing, etc)

2) Should I test the product on Sydney with my first batch of orders? Or should I go straight into working on the L.A market, despite living in Sydney?

My fear with testing on Sydney is not knowing if the results will be the same as in L.A. Our people are obviously similar in a lot of ways, but can be different too.

Please let me know your thoughts.

PS: Feel free to follow my progress thread below!

EXECUTION - My Journey To A $100M eCommerce Empire

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
split test always and everything :)

take a batch of your shipment dowunder and test it meanwhile you use amazon or any other service to sell it online (you can take pre orders and deliver en masse later)
Once you have the proof, ig youwant to start the way you said, I guess consulting a company lawyer is the best thing to do (he will tell you how to form an llc,what to do etcetc)

Lucious

Lucious
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 13, 2016
Australia
Make sure it's not on Australia shipping prohibited list. Australia has very strict rules when it comes to postage and tax laws.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lucious

Lucious
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 13, 2016
Australia
Noticed in your progress thread that you mentioned it is a product that is grown in nature?

Do your due diligence here, as mentioned before Australias shipping rules are very strict.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.