The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling to FBA Mexico

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Is anyone selling to FBA Mexico yet?

We're just going to start the registration process.

Apparently, FBA Mexico takes 2-3 months to get set up and registered due to product certification and other requirements from the Mexican government. If you decide to not partner with a trading agency, you will also need to obtain a RFC Tax ID to register your business in Mexico.

If anyone else has already gone through the gauntlet, post your experiences here.

@biophase thought you might have some interest

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
I don't have any products that can currently go into that market. But some that I am looking at might.

Will be interesting to see the difference in purchasing behavior between the US and Mexico.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't have any products that can currently go into that market. But some that I am looking at might.

Will be interesting to see the difference in purchasing behavior between the US and Mexico.

0% chance I would ever ship to a residential address in Mexico, but I will ship to Amazon FBA and see what happens.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Is anyone selling to FBA Mexico yet?

We're just going to start the registration process.

Apparently, FBA Mexico takes 2-3 months to get set up and registered due to product certification and other requirements from the Mexican government. If you decide to not partner with a trading agency, you will also need to obtain a RFC Tax ID to register your business in Mexico.

If anyone else has already gone through the gauntlet, post your experiences here.

@biophase thought you might have some interest

Not sure if my stuff would sell in Mexico. I have never received an order through my ecommerce stores for Mexico.

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
Not sure if my stuff would sell in Mexico. I have never received an order through my ecommerce stores for Mexico.
Dont know until you try i suppose. I just got my VAT registered for Uk selling pretty pumped to hit up that market besides just Canada and US.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
I signed up for the Canadian and Mexican marketplaces a few months ago. For some reason only ~200/1200 listings are approved for the Canadian site, while none of them show up on .mx. It might have something to do with the Tax ID issue you mentioned.

I also had one MF order to Mexico last year. Never heard from the customer, so I assume the package arrived safely Not the biggest sample size, though :). Chinese orders were killing me, on the other hand. Had to refund a bunch of sales since packages took 1-3 months to arrive.

I constantly see ads for selling FBA to Japan, Europe, Mexico etc in Seller Central, so it would be interesting to see other people's take on this.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
We will likely try this market later in the year. We certainly have learned some hard lessons selling to the Canadian market in 2015. I'm certain we have products that we could market but I just want to make sure Amazons 'system' in Mexico is completely in place, ie lost shipments enroute etc.

BTW, is anyone utilizing the FBA Small and Light program. I have contacted Amazon several times and all I get is 'we'll get back to you in 7-10 days.' They never have.

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
We will likely try this market later in the year. We certainly have learned some hard lessons selling to the Canadian market in 2015. I'm certain we have products that we could market but I just want to make sure Amazons 'system' in Mexico is completely in place, ie lost shipments enroute etc.

BTW, is anyone utilizing the FBA Small and Light program. I have contacted Amazon several times and all I get is 'we'll get back to you in 7-10 days.' They never have.
What lessons did you learn in selling in the canadian market?

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
What lessons did you learn in selling in the canadian market?

Well, we listen to a different drummer. Most of the products we sell on Amazon are non-FBA. One of those categories that we sell is the footwear market. We have always drop shipped a majority of those orders. No problem in the US but drop shipping to Canada was such an issue due to slow shipping from the manufacturer (due to shipping USPS rather than UPS) that we had an inordinate amount of complaints. We decided to nix offering the entire line of footwear to our Canadian customers. Rather than lose the opportunity of selling 1800 other products on our Canada inventory, it was the easiest way to curtail the complaints.

Many of the items we ship up north are shipped US International First Class mail (under 5 lbs) so we pay close attention on timely shipping. This is the only way we have remained competitive as International Priority Mail is so costly on many of our products...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

I am not certain how much they are expanding Small and Light. It started as a beta program, and they haven't put much emphasis on it since the beta launch. The other thing to consider about it is not only do the items have to be small and light, but under $9.99 retail.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I am not certain how much they are expanding Small and Light. It started as a beta program, and they haven't put much emphasis on it since the beta launch. The other thing to consider about it is not only do the items have to be small and light, but under $9.99 retail.

Also package weight cannot be over 8 oz, but perfect for small light items that have mass appeal. Think of something as simple as a couple of pairs of boot laces, welding lenses, or even certain types of batteries...

I believe Amazon will eventually try beta testing LOCAL truck deliveries to the customer in some larger markets.

http://fortune.com/2015/12/04/amazon-trucks/

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
Well, we listen to a different drummer. Most of the products we sell on Amazon are non-FBA. One of those categories that we sell is the footwear market. We have always drop shipped a majority of those orders. No problem in the US but drop shipping to Canada was such an issue due to slow shipping from the manufacturer (due to shipping USPS rather than UPS) that we had an inordinate amount of complaints. We decided to nix offering the entire line of footwear to our Canadian customers. Rather than lose the opportunity of selling 1800 other products on our Canada inventory, it was the easiest way to curtail the complaints.

Many of the items we ship up north are shipped US International First Class mail (under 5 lbs) so we pay close attention on timely shipping. This is the only way we have remained competitive as International Priority Mail is so costly on many of our products...
Why not just send to fba in Canada?

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
I constantly see ads for selling FBA to Japan, Europe, Mexico etc in Seller Central, so it would be interesting to see other people's take on this.

I'm currently working on expanding internationally. Last week I sent small shipments out to both Canada and the UK - a lot easier than I would have expected so far.

Depending on how that goes, I plan on expanding to Germany, and possibly the rest of Europe and Japan. Couldn't find too much info on the forum about international FBA selling besides this thread.

@Vigilante I was going to ask if you sold in the UK, but decided to just search their marketplace instead of posting on here and ask you. Doesn't look like you sell there, but you'd probably be interested to know that I saw two of your brands products there for roughly 3x your price here in the U.S. (both being sold by the same seller too). Not sure if you were aware of this or not.

May I ask why you have't expanded internationally to these markets? Maybe there's some downside to it that I've overlooked so far.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm currently working on expanding internationally. Last week I sent small shipments out to both Canada and the UK - a lot easier than I would have expected so far.

Depending on how that goes, I plan on expanding to Germany, and possibly the rest of Europe and Japan. Couldn't find too much info on the forum about international FBA selling besides this thread.

@Vigilante I was going to ask if you sold in the UK, but decided to just search their marketplace instead of posting on here and ask you. Doesn't look like you sell there, but you'd probably be interested to know that I saw two of your brands products there for roughly 3x your price here in the U.S. (both being sold by the same seller too). Not sure if you were aware of this or not.

May I ask why you have't expanded internationally to these markets? Maybe there's some downside to it that I've overlooked so far.

1. We do Canada. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a pain in the a$$.
2. I am still unsure on Mexico until I get some feedback from others
3. We do sell in Europe, but under some different brand names
4. Recently, Amazon seems to have solved the translation issues for easy migration to non-English platforms

Our mission for 2016 is diversification of channels of distribution and diversification of products into more complex and higher touch technology. The tech support angle of some of the expansion products doesn't lend itself too much to international sales. As @LightHouse has pointed out to me 10 times in the past 10 days, we can triple (or way more) our business in the United States in the next 12 months. So we're not focused too much on international sales right now, as much as we are in improving and expanding our current business but Amazon related expansion will definitely happen also in 2016.

I prefer to let other people go first, learn from them, short circuit the development window, and be a "fast follower." I don't want to be the first guy into Mexico FBA... I want to be the 100th. The first guy always gets screwed.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Please post a thread with your UK Amazon experience, specifically what you have learned about VAT tax registration, etc...

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
1. We do Canada. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a pain in the a$$.
2. I am still unsure on Mexico until I get some feedback from others
3. We do sell in Europe, but under some different brand names
4. Recently, Amazon seems to have solved the translation issues for easy migration to non-English platforms

Our mission for 2016 is diversification of channels of distribution and diversification of products into more complex and higher touch technology. The tech support angle of some of the expansion products doesn't lend itself too much to international sales. As @LightHouse has pointed out to me 10 times in the past 10 days, we can triple (or way more) our business in the United States in the next 12 months. So we're not focused too much on international sales right now, as much as we are in improving and expanding our current business but Amazon related expansion will definitely happen also in 2016.

I prefer to let other people go first, learn from them, short circuit the development window, and be a "fast follower." I don't want to be the first guy into Mexico FBA... I want to be the 100th. The first guy always gets screwed.

That makes sense. Wouldn't mind hearing the details/progress on the forum that you make in the U.S. this year - be interesting to see how an ecommerce business established for several years takes those next steps.

Please post a thread with your UK Amazon experience, specifically what you have learned about VAT tax registration, etc...

I'll post the details in my progress thread and link to it here.

I still have a lot to learn with selling in Europe. I'm sure I'll screw up several times, but Amazon's international sales made up around 45% of their total revenue last year I believe. That just seemed like a large chunk to leave out to me. I'll post the details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Amazon is coming at us pretty aggressively to move into the UK and related countries (France, Germany, and a few others.) All FBA with one ship to location, that Amazon then breaks up for multiple warehouses once it gets over there. They recommended (wisely so) that we partner with a freight forwarder that can handle not only inventory shipments but tax and regulatory issues.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
They recommended (wisely so) that we partner with a freight forwarder that can handle not only inventory shipments but tax and regulatory issues.

I made this mistake with my first shipment over there a month or two ago. Shipped a small shipment there to test the market, and it basically got stuck because I didn't have a freight forwarder. Cost of goods + shipping = ~$200 loss. Nothing huge, but still a stupid mistake.

Here is exactly what Amazon recommended to me. Hopefully it can help some of you.

"My name is Kat and I will be assisting you with this case. I am sorry to hear that your shipment have been held for customs clearance as it states on the tracking information, "Payment of charges - Item being held, addressee being notified".

Please be informed that if you choose to send inventory directly to Amazon from outside the Amazon marketplace country, you must use an import broker (either one of your own choosing or one designated by Amazon). All inventory sent directly to Amazon from outside the Amazon marketplace must be sent under “Delivery Duty Paid destination” freight terms with all relevant import duties and other taxes paid. Amazon will not be responsible for any import duties, taxes, collect freight or miscellaneous charges associated with importation into the marketplace country. Amazon cannot act as the importer of record.

For more information, please visit the link below:
https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/...search&referral=A325E7NOPOMCX2_A1DIY77KIDK2QI

I apologise that I am unable to give you good news on this. I really wish there was more I could do for you in this regard."

Like I said earlier, I was probably going to screw up...and I did. Of course, it was my fault for not doing more research first. Rookie mistake.

I've been distracted with U.S. related sales stuff lately, but I plan on getting things set up for Amazon Europe by the end of next month. I'm just in the process of switching manufacturers, improving product quality, developing more products, and rebranding right now.

I figure if I get all of this done first, I will be better able to leverage the time and effort it takes me to get onto Amazon Europe.

I expect getting on Amazon Europe can increase sales by at least 25% and is well worth the time either way.

"Germany now accounts for 14.2% of Amazon’s total sales. United Kingdom represents 9.8%, and Japan accounts for 10.3%."

-https://www.internetretailer.com/2014/02/13/amazons-international-growth-slows

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
Amazon is coming at us pretty aggressively to move into the UK and related countries (France, Germany, and a few others.) All FBA with one ship to location, that Amazon then breaks up for multiple warehouses once it gets over there. They recommended (wisely so) that we partner with a freight forwarder that can handle not only inventory shipments but tax and regulatory issues.
This is an advantage for us German 'preneurs though. I already know of several groups of people here getting together and having FBA as their main topic of the evening.

sinj

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jul 20, 2017
Mexico
A bit of an old thread but I am based on Mexico and I have sold over Mercadolibre. You could call it the eBay of Latin America. (eBay owns 20% stake of Mercadolibre) If someone has questions about Mexico anybody feel free to contact me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.