The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling products to the military.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
Demo day DONE. Lots of positive feedback even from high ranking military officers. There are some safety issues that need to be solved but overall the product works. The officers pre ordered 1000 pieces for the local army.
Right now I'm writing an application for defence industry development support to help me finance plastic injection molds. If the decision is positive, then the ministry of defence will finance the molds and help with marketing in NATO member countries.
To this day I remember my friends saying: "Dude, no one will buy your stupid invention. Do something that is actually worth something". I'm glad that I did not listen to them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
The ministry of defence approved my application!

Unbelievable.

The defence committee approves only ideas or prototypes that have a high export potential and my prototype is one of them. Compared to others applicants I'm basically a nobody. But finally I'm getting a chance to be in the game. The defence industries entry barrier is high but for me it just got like a kilometer lower. Next month I will sign a contract with the Ministry of Defence and the Defence Force.

One step closer again.

Last edited:

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
In my estonian army days I noticed a need for a special product. After some research it was clear. The product has not been invented yet. Not even in China.

For several years I have been prototyping and testing my invention and the feedback from the local army has been positive. There is a lot of information how to sell and how to become a partner to the US military but has anyone of you guys actually sold products to the US military or another country?

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
What has happened since my last post:
  • Invented two new products that are right now being tested by the military. They are niche products but still are applicable in every NATO country. There is definitely a demand for the products.
  • Visited again abroad a NATO fair and promoted my products. I tried not to be so shy. Besides the products, my booth had only a rollup banner stand and some flyers. I could not fit more stuff into my baggage because I had to travel alone and by air. The multi-million companies that were next to me had 3 times bigger booths with custom flooring and even coffee machines. But still, visitors showed great interest in my products.
  • Found a manufacturer that agreed to manufacture my products even in small batches.
  • Made a couple of small sales. The last sale was probably to most important of my life because two weeks after the sale a NATO country announced a procurement for devices that are heavily related to my products. Thanks to the last sale I met the minimum requirements and qualified for the big 8-figure contract.
Now I can sit by the same table with the "custom flooring and coffee machine" guys.

And that is all I wanted- just a chance.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I once got a large order from the US military. It was a PO and the goods were shipped to Afghanistan. That was the easy part. The hard part was getting paid. I needed the person who signed off of the PO to acknowledge that they got the shipment. Problem was that when he got deployed he would be off base for weeks. I would be calling Afghanistan for weeks at 3am to try to reach him. Eventually I got paid, but I'd never do it again. They need to pay upfront by credit card now.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
Final stage testing went well. The weather was sunny and the CNC milled product worked flawlessly. Everyone was happy. So I went to a company, that produces plastic injection molds and showed the CNC milled parts to them hoping that the long CAD drawing nights would be finally over. It turns out that plastic injection molding has its limits and out of 22 parts, they are able to produce only 14.

For the past month, I have been redesigning those critical parts. Changing one part affected another and so on. I was constantly thinking about how to solve those design problems. It was a dead end. One night I asked my girlfriend how she would solve the design issue.

"Hmm. Wait!" she said.

She brought her wristwatch and showed me how the lock works. And out of the blue, the eureka moment came. I was back on the highway. A couple of CAD nights and it was DONE!

The road has been frustrating and it will probably continue this way, but I think it is worth it.

I guess T. Harv Eker is right- "If you are willing to do only what’s easy, life will be hard. But if you’re willing to do what’s hard, life will be easy"

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In my estonian army days I noticed a need for a special product. After some research it was clear. The product has not been invented yet. Not even in China.

For several years I have been prototyping and testing my invention and the feedback from the local army has been positive. There is a lot of information how to sell and how to become a partner to the US military but has anyone of you guys actually sold products to the US military or another country?

YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION!

Yes I have sold to the government. How far along on the development side are you?

I LOVE that it isn't something that exists and you aren't going to be responding to an RFP with a bunch of other goons.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
I sent an e-mail to my country's Defence Investment Centre. They actually liked my prototype and asked if I could make a demo day on the field. The only problem was that my prototype was made of metal. They told me that it had to be plastic. I needed a 3D printed prototype. I downloaded a CAD program and started learning how to draw. It has been a frustrating three weeks but managed to create my prototype in a CAD program. At the moment I'm waiting for the 3D printing guys.

A week ago a big military equipment seller called me and asked if I could meet with them. Someone from the Defence Investment Centre told them about my little prototype. It turned out that the United States military contacted them and asked for a product like my prototype.

Should I show them my 3D printed prototype and collaborate or do the whole thing on my own?

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
The 3D printed prototype was brittle but it kinda worked. I needed something stronger. After some research I found that a plastic called PA6 should work but it had to be milled from a solid block.
I contacted seven different milling companies and all of them said that they can't do it because the shape is too difficult. "Use a 3D printer" they said.
A week later I found a company that uses cnc machines in their production but does not offer milling services. I went straight to the owner told him about my problem. He agreed to help me. The company made 4 prototypes and the best thing is that they do actually work. Demoday for the military will be in a couple of weeks. Time to practice my sales pitch.

Last edited:

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
After six months of complete silence, I received an email from a foreign high-ranking military officer. The testing period was successful and they would like a demo day in their military base so that I could introduce the device to different military unit representatives so that they can place an order. Fingers crossed.

The law enforcement people also tested the other product for eight months and a week ago they placed an order for the devices.

I'm quite happy that hard work is finally paying off ( or at least a fraction of it).

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
Trial and error again and again but finally I have a working product and a user manual. The military wants to test the product for a couple of months and then hopefully can I make my first sale. Meanwhile, I need to apply for a NATO stock number(NSN) so that other NATO members could see it in their catalog.

One company even asked if I´m interested in selling my prototype and CAD files.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
I got a chance to deliver the product. The foreign country's defense force representative was pretty amazed. They are testing the product and making sure that it meets the high standards. Hope it goes well.

Two weeks ago made my first sale. It took two years and a bunch of prototypes but it was worth it.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
What has happened since my last post:
  • A NATO country ordered some product samples;
  • Visited another NATO fair with my products;
  • Reinvented some ideas and sold them to the military;
  • Was asked to speak at a NATO workshop;
  • Found four product ideas (the military is waiting for the prototypes);
  • Established connections abroad.
I also received information that a NATO country is preparing to procure some of my products. Fingers crossed!

rockit11

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 18, 2015
Langley AFB, Virginia
The primary place to look, at least for Department of Defense Contracts, is FBO.gov. It was even in that movie War Dogs haha. I couldn't believe anyone knew enough about my job to have it in a movie. The things you couldn't think of are proprietary developmental contracts or secret products. But the DOD buys a lot of both commercially available and non-commercial (military specific) products, services, and construction. Got a landscaping business? Bid on doing work for the local base. You'll need to register in the system for award management (SAM). If you have a Small Business Administration (SBA) office near you (every state does) they also can help get you set up. By the way, the government sets aside many contract awards for small businesses only. I have awarded many millions of dollars in contracts. Government contracting seems really cryptic but it's actually not... Granted it's taken years to learn the nuances but winning awards comes down to following instructions. It's not the same way you'd try to win business with a company. We have to follow the rules and play fair to everyone that bids.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
A week ago I received a product sample request from a foreign country's defense force. I was pretty excited and still am. After some digging and phone calls, it turns out, that you can´t just send a product like that to another country. Tons of paperwork needs to be done. Business verification, background checks, etc. It´s just frustrating. No wonder that the military stuff costs so much.

Anyway. During the product testing period, I saw a need for a new product. Did some research and guess what, the same thing- it has not been invented yet. The prototype will be ready for presenting next week.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
When I surfed the Internet earlier this year, I discovered that NATO was organizing industry days for companies. Although the booths were booked, I still decided to register. I was automatically put on a waiting list. Six months later, I received an e-mail saying that a booth has become available. HOLY S***!

I bought tickets and flew there. The exhibition was awesome. Met quite a lot of people. Got business cards from foreign army personnel and handed out my own cards. The feedback was great. A US army representative even said that my products were the coolest and that he had never seen such devices.

I would never have believed that I would be participating in NATO Industry Day with my products. I have a gut feeling that something big is about to happen. I can just feel it.

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
It's been a while since my last post. I´ve been improving and presenting my prototype to different military officers and forces. The MOD contract helps here a lot. Next month will be the final stage testing. Hopefully, everything works out. The aim is to present the actual product at the Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI) arms fair in september that is held every two years in London.

Some lessons that I have learned:
1) The real entry barrier is knowing people.
2) Universities are interested in participating in innovative projects.
3) Make sure that you know the law.
4) Design standard solutions to your product.
5) Wear olive green clothes.

I will keep you informed.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I've worked directly for the person in charge of acquisition as well as defense exports for the US Army. If the OP or anyone else needs a contact or advice in how to navigate US DoD acquisition or exporting defense articles from the US abroad feel free to reach out.

Last edited:

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
A week ago I received the export license. It took some time but finally, I´ve got things sorted out. Unfortunately, due to C0VlD-19, there are restrictions which, won't allow me to enter the country. Now I have to wait till the restrictions are lifted. I hope this C0VlD-19 situation does not last for long.

In the previous replay, I mentioned a new product prototype. I presented the new device to the army personnel and law enforcement people. The feedback was very positive and during the presentation, they even wanted to take the product for themself for testing purposes. I mentioned, that the product is a prototype that has not been properly tested yet. They did not care, because they liked the idea very much especially from the counter-terrorism aspect. They kept insisting but I kindly refused. I will supply them with product samples this month.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Cnc1

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
902%
Apr 24, 2018
Your progress is exciting.

Do you have a patent or anything that will protect you in different countries?

When starting with this project I was fortuned enough to talk to some people that are in that kind of business. They said:
1) a patent will help but the real aim should be to saturate the market as fast as possible.
2)the high entry barrier cancels out most of the competition.
3)there are some countries, to whom I can not sell this product.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
I sent an e-mail to my country's Defence Investment Centre. They actually liked my prototype and asked if I could make a demo day on the field. The only problem was that my prototype was made of metal. They told me that it had to be plastic. I needed a 3D printed prototype. I downloaded a CAD program and started learning how to draw. It has been a frustrating three weeks but managed to create my prototype in a CAD program. At the moment I'm waiting for the 3D printing guys.
WOW, just like that, you took action and you got rewarded, just to show how "fortune rewards the brave".

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Should I show them my 3D printed prototype and collaborate or do the whole thing on my own?

Ask them for information! Tell the General straight up, "Sir, I don't have enough information yet to choose my business plan to bring this design into production for you. Who can I talk with, to learn about my options to collaborate directly with you, or to first develop the business and then come back when I'm ready for mass production?" Any military leader should be able to respect that you want to discover some options, so you can make an informed plan!

Johnny Bravo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 20, 2018
US
Kudos to Mile for starting this thread. I just submitted a proposal to the Air Force today because I was inspired by your story. Just goes to show how helpful this place is!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I haven't personally done this, but I recommend you look into the SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) program. You might be able to get a government grant to finish the prototype to R&D phase.

My thoughts as well. DoD just released their second batch of SBIR requests for this year. You can check and see if your product fits any of their advertised needs. You've got until mid June or so to submit a proposal.

I keep an eye on the DoD releases, as there's a great deal of money to be made. Unfortunately most of them are in areas that require expertise in things I know nothing about.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Is this you?

815g85eEOBL.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwh9c_E3dJk

rockit11

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 18, 2015
Langley AFB, Virginia
This is a broad question, but what are some things the government wants to buy but can’t find a source for?

Other than DIBBS, are there any other sources of open contracts waiting for bids? I know a ton go unawarded.

Things we can't find a source for... One thing to look for is RFIs (request for information). This is one of the primary ways we do market research. We'll send these out if we're looking to see if a business capability exists for a need we have. These also go up on FBO.gov. You don't send a bid for these, just basically reply indicating that you believe that's something we can do or, we can definitely do that type of work/ product/ service.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.