The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling Overseas Supplements on Amazon (US)

octeee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 15, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum and am currently doing research on a product idea.

I'm looking into selling NZ Whey protein, initially through Amazon using FBA. I'm aware that it's best to source products form within the States if you plan on selling there but I have my own reasons for sourcing from NZ and selling in the US.

Anyway obviously this will require customs clearance and compliance, and seeing as I've never done this before I'm wondering if anyone else has experience in this and can outline what is required to ship from an overseas country to an American distribution center?

I have searched Google and have emailed a bunch of logistics/shipping agencies in NZ for quotes and information but would be great if anyone has personal experience.

Thanks!

Ollie

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Walter doesn't do any online sales, and I don't do any international shipping into the U.S., but someone will likely come along that is a foreign based seller using Amazon FBA in the United States. Likely one of the Canadians.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Hey @octeee. I'm from Canada but sell supplements through amazon FBA. However, I use a USA manufacturer. Are you able to share the reason why you're using a NZ supplier and not a USA?

The reason I say this is because there are a lot of regulations with respect to labeling. You will need a USA based address on the label, the ingredients table needs to be a certain way, the text needs to be a certain way, etc... I can email/pm you the outline my USA supplier sent me.

I know this was not what you were looking for, but without knowing the reason why you're sourcing from NZ instead of USA, I can't really say much more.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
OK octeee, I know the dairy industry in NZ and have a good idea why that is your choice for country of supply, but I will keep that to myself.

What I do know about food imports to the US is that whether imported or produced in the USA, foods must meet the same FDA and other legal requirements, including labeling.

The other major requirement is that the premises that produce, store, or otherwise handle the food products in NZ are registered with the FDA. You must also give prior notice to the FDA 24 hours before they are loaded on board.

These issues introduce potential problems. First you need to contact suppliers in NZ and see if you can find one that is FDA registered. Second, and potentially costly, all shipments will be stopped and examined. That can incur costly delays.

You will have to pay for the inspection, plus storage fees until the inspection is completed. Because of the nature of whey protein you can bet your bottom dollar that laboratory test will be involved -- more time and money. A small trial order could give you some idea of what is involved.

Before that you need to locate a US freight forwarder with experience handling food shipments. Many of them do it routinely, so ask a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

octeee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks for the replies and the information guys, @Walter Hay @MoneyDoc the reason I want to source from NZ is that I specifically want to use NZ Whey because the products branding will be based around that. Also I live in NZ so makes communication with manufacturers a little easier, however I am moving to the States in October.

So far I haven't been able to find and private label manufacturers or contract manufacturers that do NZ Whey within the states. The closest I have found is a private label manufacturer in Canada but as you say @MoneyDoc I'd still face the same issues.

If either of you guys have any contacts within the states for what I'm looking for and would be happy to PM me them then that would be much appreciated!

If I can't find a US based manufacturer it looks like it will be too difficult to make this product work and will be back to the drawing board, but good to know the requirements early on. Thanks guys!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thanks for the replies and the information guys, @Walter Hay @MoneyDoc the reason I want to source from NZ is that I specifically want to use NZ Whey because the products branding will be based around that. Also I live in NZ so makes communication with manufacturers a little easier, however I am moving to the States in October.

So far I haven't been able to find and private label manufacturers or contract manufacturers that do NZ Whey within the states. The closest I have found is a private label manufacturer in Canada but as you say @MoneyDoc I'd still face the same issues.

If either of you guys have any contacts within the states for what I'm looking for and would be happy to PM me them then that would be much appreciated!

If I can't find a US based manufacturer it looks like it will be too difficult to make this product work and will be back to the drawing board, but good to know the requirements early on. Thanks guys!
I agree that the requirements for importing this product would make life too difficult. Although cost ex NZ would be very competitive, the extra cost of compliance could eat up a lot of that margin.

I checked with a relative who is one of the biggest dairy producers in NZ and he does not know of any processor who is registered with the FDA. The reason is that they enjoy such big demand in other countries where it is much easier to satisfy regulations, that they don't need the market and probably couldn't supply anyway.

Sorry I can't help with locating US suppliers.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@octeee, a couple of minutes after posting above, I received an email from my NZ relative with a link to a site that lists US suppliers of whey protein. He sent it because the list includes one supplier from NZ.

The NZ supplier only supplies whey protein for stockfeed,(FDA registration problems) but a number of the US suppliers supply for human consumption. I have sent the link to you via a private message so that you can enjoy some exclusive contact with those suppliers.

They may not private label, but it is worth checking them out.

Last edited by a moderator:

octeee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 15, 2014
Okay cool thanks a lot for the help and information :)

octeee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 15, 2014
@Vigilante @Walter Hay thought I'd elaborate a bit more on the off chance either of you can help ... The reason I was wanting to use NZ Whey is because here in NZ our Whey comes from grass-fed cows and doesn't contain rBGH, so is high quality/natural and that is what I was wanting to brand around.

With that said if either of you know of any American private label manufacturers of rBGH free whey that would be a huge help! Long shot I know but have contacted a whole bunch myself and haven't had any luck so far and have found a few that do contract manufacturing but the MOQs are way out of my price range.

Thanks in advance!!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@Vigilante @Walter Hay thought I'd elaborate a bit more on the off chance either of you can help ... The reason I was wanting to use NZ Whey is because here in NZ our Whey comes from grass-fed cows and doesn't contain rBGH, so is high quality/natural and that is what I was wanting to brand around.

With that said if either of you know of any American private label manufacturers of rBGH free whey that would be a huge help! Long shot I know but have contacted a whole bunch myself and haven't had any luck so far and have found a few that do contract manufacturing but the MOQs are way out of my price range.

Thanks in advance!!
Unless a US processor is buying bulk from NZ I don't like your chances. I guess you n
have checked out all those on the list I emailed.

I have PM'd another link that does list a small number of whey processors. One does private label with low MOQs.

Best wishes,
Walter

Last edited:

octeee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 15, 2014
Awesome thanks again Walter, yeah happy to work with American suppliers as long as they offer the same quality!

millionairemafia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 19, 2016
Hey @octeee. I'm from Canada but sell supplements through amazon FBA. However, I use a USA manufacturer. Are you able to share the reason why you're using a NZ supplier and not a USA?

The reason I say this is because there are a lot of regulations with respect to labeling. You will need a USA based address on the label, the ingredients table needs to be a certain way, the text needs to be a certain way, etc... I can email/pm you the outline my USA supplier sent me.

I know this was not what you were looking for, but without knowing the reason why you're sourcing from NZ instead of USA, I can't really say much more.

What kind of supplements do you sell? and how do you market them?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
What kind of supplements do you sell? and how do you market them?
What a way to make your first post.

I sell lazy dog supplements. My supplier is lazydogsupplements.com. I market through google ads with a budget of $100 per campaign at a $0.00145 bid. I have exactly 23 keywords per campaign.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.