The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling black truffles or car aftermarket dead pedal

Share your FTE moment...

carcrazydan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 12, 2016
I'm very new at this, have never run a business before, but so far these are the two ideas I am interested in pursuing. I understand I need to research the market first to see if customers actually want these things, but I wanted to run it by some Fastlaners first to get some feedback before I go any further.

1. Buying black truffles/white truffles wholesale then packaging them nicely, marketing them and selling online. I.E. small jar of shaved truffles, whole truffles, etc.

2. I have short legs, so it's hard to rest my left leg on the dead pedal of my car. I wanted to make something that mounts on top of the dead pedal or replaces it that really holds your left foot there securely so you get less fatigued when driving, also have more support when cornering quickly and the g's load up your body.

It would be specifically for the Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster, and I know that there aren't that many sold each year (roughly 5,000 if you add up sales for both models) and the market for owners who would want something like the dead pedal is even smaller than that.

I want to pursue this because I want to just throw myself into the fire and get experience because I feel like that's the only way I'll learn and actually start something, even though the total market is very small. I feel like even taking a small loss would be worth the experience gained.

Thanks in advance to all who read and/or reply.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

finnyfun

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Aug 20, 2018
Connecticut
1. Buying black truffles/white truffles wholesale then packaging them nicely, marketing them and selling online. I.E. small jar of shaved truffles, whole truffles, etc.

This could be a possibility but you'd need demand for the truffles or they'll go spoiled. I did a simple search and found that it was around 5-14 days until they go bad.

2. Why only for the Porsche? I imagine that there are other cars that you could do it with.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This could be a possibility but you'd need demand for the truffles or they'll go spoiled. I did a simple search and found that it was around 5-14 days until they go bad.

2. Why only for the Porsche? I imagine that there are other cars that you could do it with.

do the dead pedal.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I'm very new at this, have never run a business before, but so far these are the two ideas I am interested in pursuing. I understand I need to research the market first to see if customers actually want these things, but I wanted to run it by some Fastlaners first to get some feedback before I go any further.

2. I have short legs, so it's hard to rest my left leg on the dead pedal of my car. I wanted to make something that mounts on top of the dead pedal or replaces it that really holds your left foot there securely so you get less fatigued when driving, also have more support when cornering quickly and the g's load up your body.

It would be specifically for the Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster, and I know that there aren't that many sold each year (roughly 5,000 if you add up sales for both models) and the market for owners who would want something like the dead pedal is even smaller than that.

I want to pursue this because I want to just throw myself into the fire and get experience because I feel like that's the only way I'll learn and actually start something, even though the total market is very small. I feel like even taking a small loss would be worth the experience gained.

1. Helps nobody but it might satisfy a desire.
2. Helps people and will possibly fill a need. Just do it for every car, universality will be your friend here.

Eggman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Aug 29, 2019

The car idea sounds more unique and there could be a gap in the market but like others have said it needs to be adaptable for all makes. If your going to do it then you might as well do it properly rather than just for the experience of selling 4 or 5 units. Think about the kind of cars that disabled or elderly people may drive.

Also I would personally check to see if there any restrictions or requirements you have to meet for safety reasons. Some insurance companies may see it as a modification to the car that if undeclared would make the insurance policy void.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
You're on the wrong side of the truffle fad.

Demand peaked like 5 years ago and has been in decline since. Its slowly becoming very selectively used due to it being overused for the better part of this past decade. It won't be much more than a very niche item in a few years and certainly not a product to build a business around.

Secondly, good luck finding a primary supplier who can

1) Provide a quality product.
2) Allow you to purchase small amounts.
3) Give you a price that will allow you to compete with the large scale producers who are working on full commoditization.

Truffle oil has seen the biggest decline. In 5 years the market has tanked from end user restaurants/hotels willing to pay 20-25 per 250ml, now there are decent quality options out there in the 6-8 dollar range and the premium 20 dollar brand is a tough sell when it's fairly well known that they're made by the same producer with the exact same content in the bottle.

There is been a huge shift in the accessibility(and price) of these hyper exclusive gourmet ingredients towards lower pricing and more consumer availability.

This trend is only going to grow with the expected Amazon entry.

carcrazydan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 12, 2016
Thank you to all who have shared their advice. I'm glad I decided to bring up the two options here, otherwise would have wasted valuable time researching how to get in the truffle game!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.