The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling B2B service while working 9-5

Marketing, social media, advertising

aisin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 22, 2015
Eastern Europe
Hi fellow Fastlaners!

After many failures in the past, I have finally found a business idea which shows high probability of success, if executed well. Currently I'm working 9-5 in international corporation, but I've spent many hours for last few months to prepare a system which should bring value for my customers and ultimately allow myself to quit my job. It seems that it is ready to be launched, but there are few minor issues which I need to overcome:
  • I can't quit my job yet, because I need to maintain a steady stream of income to survive
  • I don't have enough cash on hand to start the business, but I'll get external financing
  • Business requires some physical space which I need to rent - this requires the above issue to be solved firstly
... and the biggest issue of them all:
  • My customer profile are eCommerce stores, small or medium for the beginning - the issue is that I have no idea how to sell B2B, while working 9-5 and maintaining full anonymity; nobody from my circles can realise I'm starting a business until I'm ready to quit the job. Reason behind this is that the company I'm working for might treat my business as a competition, which would be against my contract and may cause some legal trouble for me, or at least I'll get fired (which can't happen due to aforementioned reason).

B2B sales are mostly relation-based. How can I find first customers while I can't just go out and yell 'hey, come check out my new biz'? What is worth mentioning, cold calling and mailing in my country is forbidden (it is against the law, I can't mail or call any company unless they clearly indicate they want me to get in touch with them). I know I could just send some e-mails to my potential customers, but it is too risky as the fines are enormous.
I'm struggling to find a way to connect all the dots - what would you suggest to do now?

I would really appreciate any advice.
(pardon my English if anything is not clearly understandable; I'm not native)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
Hi fellow Fastlaners!

After many failures in the past, I have finally found a business idea which shows high probability of success, if executed well. Currently I'm working 9-5 in international corporation, but I've spent many hours for last few months to prepare a system which should bring value for my customers and ultimately allow myself to quit my job. It seems that it is ready to be launched, but there are few minor issues which I need to overcome:
  • I can't quit my job yet, because I need to maintain a steady stream of income to survive
  • I don't have enough cash on hand to start the business, but I'll get external financing
  • Business requires some physical space which I need to rent - this requires the above issue to be solved firstly
... and the biggest issue of them all:
  • My customer profile are eCommerce stores, small or medium for the beginning - the issue is that I have no idea how to sell B2B, while working 9-5 and maintaining full anonymity; nobody from my circles can realise I'm starting a business until I'm ready to quit the job. Reason behind this is that the company I'm working for might treat my business as a competition, which would be against my contract and may cause some legal trouble for me, or at least I'll get fired (which can't happen due to aforementioned reason).

B2B sales are mostly relation-based. How can I find first customers while I can't just go out and yell 'hey, come check out my new biz'? What is worth mentioning, cold calling and mailing in my country is forbidden (it is against the law, I can't mail or call any company unless they clearly indicate they want me to get in touch with them). I know I could just send some e-mails to my potential customers, but it is too risky as the fines are enormous.
I'm struggling to find a way to connect all the dots - what would you suggest to do now?

I would really appreciate any advice.
(pardon my English if anything is not clearly understandable; I'm not native)

1. Create content articulating the problems you are solving.

Say you sell industrial machines to industrial companies.

A problem many of them might face is sourcing quality machines at fair prices.

This is the problem you are solving.

Go ahead and create content in 1000 different ways articulating this problem.

2. Leverage platforms.

Where do your potential client hang out online/offline.

Leverage those platforms to distribute your problem-highlighting content.

Use as many as you can for wider reach.

3. Transformation

Use problem content to direct traffic to your service that solves this problem.

Overly simplified but that’s a rough framework that should help.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
1. Create content articulating the problems you are solving.

Say you sell industrial machines to industrial companies.

A problem many of them might face is sourcing quality machines at fair prices.

This is the problem you are solving.

Go ahead and create content in 1000 different ways articulating this problem.

2. Leverage platforms.

Where do your potential client hang out online/offline.

Leverage those platforms to distribute your problem-highlighting content.

Use as many as you can for wider reach.

3. Transformation

Use problem content to direct traffic to your service that solves this problem.

Overly simplified but that’s a rough framework that should help.

Just curious, have you ever sold anything B2B, in particular expensive capital items like machinery?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Wasn't there another thread on this topic? I remember posting in it.

@aisin use the search function. There's probably value for you in the other thread on the same topic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.