The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Self Service Locker Lite Version

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
I run a couple of AV rental businesses. Having to be there myself or pay people to be there for pickups & returns is a hassle so I've been looking into some type of automated locker system. There are commercial products similar to the Amazon parcel lockers but they're not big enough & far heavier duty than what I need not to mention thousands of dollars or even tens of thousands. My pickup/return areas are fairly secure & the equipment is only stored for a few hours on the day of hire/return & has video cameras.

I thought I'd share my first prototype. This is just a standard workshop/stationery cabinet. It was $265. The lock is one you can get from eBay or Ali for about $15. It's called a "cabinet lock" or a "cam lock". The beauty of it is that it's designed to screw straight into a standard key lock. (I had to mod mine slightly because it was sideways). It's digital but not "smart" so I just have to manually reset the code. This is enough to test whether the concept work with Homo Sapiens. If so, I'll invest in a heavy duty smart lock. With the Igloo Home locks a one-time code can be generated from from my booking system via Zapier - nice!

Anyway hope this is helpful. I'll update as I go. Happy to have any feedback too.
1632778462835.png
1632778532247.png
1632778379591.jpeg

1632778566027.jpeg
1632778768750.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Cool!

Assuming you have two clients in the same area on the same day :
How do you plan to separate the items though?
Good point. We were just discussing that. For now I'd just put them in the same locker on different shelves & label them well (it's a bit of an honesty system). If the idea works well then I'd get a couple more lockers but they wouldn't have to all be that big. We often hire out projectors or microphones which are quite small. Something like this would do. I'd say at this location more than 3 orders at once would be rare. At our other location in another city we get about 6 orders at a time.
1632836503098.png

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I run a couple of AV rental businesses. Having to be there myself or pay people to be there for pickups & returns is a hassle so I've been looking into some type of automated locker system. There are commercial products similar to the Amazon parcel lockers but they're not big enough & far heavier duty than what I need not to mention thousands of dollars or even tens of thousands. My pickup/return areas are fairly secure & the equipment is only stored for a few hours on the day of hire/return & has video cameras.

I thought I'd share my first prototype. This is just a standard workshop/stationery cabinet. It was $265. The lock is one you can get from eBay or Ali for about $15. It's called a "cabinet lock" or a "cam lock". The beauty of it is that it's designed to screw straight into a standard key lock. (I had to mod mine slightly because it was sideways). It's digital but not "smart" so I just have to manually reset the code. This is enough to test whether the concept work with Homo Sapiens. If so, I'll invest in a heavy duty smart lock. With the Igloo Home locks a one-time code can be generated from from my booking system via Zapier - nice!

Anyway hope this is helpful. I'll update as I go. Happy to have any feedback too.
View attachment 40134
View attachment 40135
View attachment 40133

View attachment 40136
View attachment 40137
Cool!

Assuming you have two clients in the same area on the same day :
How do you plan to separate the items though?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.