The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Section 105 HRA - Medical Expense Administration

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
What do you guys use for managing your medical expenses for your corporation or small business. My former accountant told me I need to find a 3rd party administrator to manage this aspect of my business for me. I'm inclined to agree, but I don't know what the alternatives are.

The marketing collateral from one of the providers I'm considering describes it like this:

"With the Section 105 HRA plan, small business owners who qualify are able to take advantage of tremendous tax savings by deducting up-to 100% of qualifying medical expenses and health insurance premiums. More often than not, small businesses only take the standard deduction offered on Form 1040 for their self-employed health insurance costs. Enrollment in the Section 105 HRA gives employers the opportunity to deduct both their premiums and qualified out-of-pocket expenses on their business tax return."

Would love to hear what you guys are doing to stay compliant on the medical expenses you are claiming. Point-of-information: In my case, this would be to cover the costs that my husband's bennie plan at work does NOT cover.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Typically the company you have medical insurance with will provide admin free of charge. This is also known as a "cafeteria plan", just FYI.

This is a different type than a Medical Expense Reimbursement Plan (MERP) that a C Corp can set up and that you can self-administer.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Thanks for the comments, and explanation.

Actually husband has full benefits through his W2 job. So the only things that I want to cover out of our corporation are the co-pays, the 20% UNcovered medical expenses or other uncovered things like dental, vision, etc. It's only $15/mo or so, and considering I'm so very administratively inept, I thot it couldn't hurt!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.