The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] Sanctus Nutrition - Supplement Company (and first real entrepreneurial pursuit)

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
First of all, props for your massive execution!

• Unusual taste. Unusual results.
  • Choke it down. Rev it up.
  • We tried to hide the taste. You won’t hide the results.
  • Forgettable taste. Unforgettable results.
  • With a taste like this, you know it works.
  • Suck up the taste. Bask in the gains.
  • Trade taste for real supplements.
  • Trade taste for supplements that work.
  • Weird taste? That’s how you know it works.
  • Doesn’t taste great. But you’ll look amazing.
  • Trade in flavor for supplements that ACTUALLY work. (edited)
  • Workouts so good, you’ll survive the taste.
  • What the hell is that taste? The glory of quad-busting squats.
  • Why does it taste like that? Because it works.
  • “Why does it taste weird?” “Shut up and lift.” (I envision this as two people, with the response coming from a much more ripped individual)
  • Want insane strength? Give up the blue razzberry pre-workout and try the real stuff.
  • Real men don’t need blue cotton candy pre-workout. Real men use Focal Force.

I like these. Prefer the 2 sentences over 1 or 3.

The bolded I think suits best for your product. Because you target the benefit (insane strenght), say that you don't sell crap (blue razzberry) and actually sell a good product (real stuff).

It says to me: "I've got to know more, what is this real stuff?"

And then you can tell about the clean/pure stuff on your website.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Alright @smpaq (and others), I brainstormed some tag-lines similar to Buckley's "it tastes awful and it works". I wrote down literally everything that came to mind as soon as it came to mind, so please don't hold back on critique.

• Tastes like eh. Works like DAMN.

• Tastes like shit. Works like DAMN.

• Unusual taste. Unusual results.

• Choke it down. Rev it up.

• Tastes different than the rest because it works better than the rest.

• We tried to hide the taste. You won’t hide the results.

• Forgettable taste. Unforgettable results.

• Forgettable taste. Unforgettable workouts.

• With a taste like this, you know it works.

• Different taste. Different supplements. Different results.

• Different taste. Different pre-workout. Different results.

• Unique taste. Unique pre-workout. Unique results.

• Unique taste. Unique supplements. Unique results.

• It tastes like that because it works.

• Suck up the taste. Bask in the gains.

• Trade taste for real supplements.

• Trade taste for supplements that work.

• Weird taste? That’s how you know it works.

• You know it works as soon as you taste it.

• Doesn’t taste great. But you’ll look amazing.

• Trade in flavor for supplements that work.

• Strong taste. Strong lifts.

• Strong taste. Strong gains.

• Strong taste. Strong muscles.

• Workouts so good, you’ll survive the taste.

• Workouts so intense, you’ll survive the taste.

• Workouts so good, you’ll forget about the taste.

• Workouts so intense, you’ll forget about the taste.

• What the hell is that taste? The glory of quad-busting squats.

• Why does it taste like that? Because it works.

• “Why does it taste weird?” “Shut up and lift.” (I envision this as two people, with the response coming from a much more ripped individual)

• Get over the taste. The results are worth it.

• Get past the taste to get past your bench plateau.

• Crappy taste. Happy body.

• Want insane strength? Give up the blue razzberry pre-workout and try the real stuff.

• Real men don’t need blue cotton candy pre-workout. Real men use Focal Force.

• Drop your pansy cotton-candy pre-workout. Try something heavier.

• It’s like 190-proof pre-workout. You’ll know it works from the first sip.

These are hilarious! Love it. You're a really solid writer.

I think the millennial generation would love " tastes like eh, works like DAMN"

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I'd be careful with the taste thing.

Whenever I'm looking at sup reviews NOBODY comments on the results because it is so subjective and almost impossible to attribute any gains to the actual supplement. However EVERYONE comments on the taste, and for a lot of people, taste is the deal breaker.

They take the sup because the health mags tell them it's required, not because one brand gives better results than the other. And therefore taste is high on the list.

Out of those lines I would probably opt for something like "Forget your cotton candy pre-work out. This is for the real lifters"

Plays on the mind without drawing too much attention to the taste (or lack of)

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016

Whenever I'm looking at sup reviews NOBODY comments on the results because it is so subjective and almost impossible to attribute any gains to the actual supplement. However EVERYONE comments on the taste, and for a lot of people, taste is the deal breaker.

I'd agree if he was targeting the mass market audience.

But his market is more of the committed, health-conscious crowd. They want to be fit AND healthy. Personally, I don't think he should focus on taste at all. I would just focus on the science backed benefits.

I fall right into his market and one product that comes to mind is Leucine. When you read the reviews on amazon the first thing that pops out is taste. Leucine tastes AWFUL. It's like drinking chalky water and the taste stays in your mouth for 5-20 minutes...

But I kept using it and eventually bought an even bigger package next time. Because I didn't care about the taste, I just wanted the science-backed results.

The people that are truly committed, his market, won't care about taste as much as they care about health and results.

With that said, I'd still keep trying to improve the taste as much as you can. Not everyone is as crazy as me. ;)

---

Side note: @Brewer07 I'd check out Legion Athletics. They're a company in your space that I've bought from in the past. They use citations to back up their claims, mention specific clinically effective doses and have an FAQ section which explains even further ingredients used in the product. You may already know of them, but if not, I'm sure there's a lot to learn.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
Facebook Ad results are in. Not pretty.

I ran three separate ads from July 2 - July 5 (ended this morning @ 9 am).
  1. Ad Set 1: ages 25-30, both genders, interest in nutraceutical pages.
    1. Reach: 1,657 (79% women, 20% men)
    2. Link clicks: 15 (87% women, 13% men); 0.87% result rate.
    3. Sales: 0
  2. Ad Set 2: ages 25-30, both genders, interest in bodybuilding.
    1. Reach: 3,718 (67% men, 33% women)
    2. Link clicks: 18 (68% men, 32% women); 0.44% result rate.
  3. Ad Set 3: ages 25-30, both genders, interest in Crossfit.
    1. Reach: 2,087 (66% men, 33% women)
    2. Link clicks: 20 (65% men, 35% women); 0.87% result rate.
The copy & CTA for all three was the same. 3 different pictures were used across all the ads.
  1. Picture 1 result rate: 0.67% (4,489 reach, 32 link clicks). Performed best with the Crossfit Ad Set (1.20% result rate).
  2. Picture 2 result rate: 0.64% (2,515 reach, 17 link clicks). Performed best with the Nutraceutical Ad Set (1.94% result rate).
  3. Picture 3 result rate: 0.52% (751 reach, 4 link clicks) - turns out this was NOT used for Ad Set 2 (bodybuilding).
Here are the 3 pictures used:
Picture 1: [GALLERY=media, 42]Facebook Ad Test #1 - Picture 1 by Brewer07 posted Jul 5, 2017 at 12:05 PM[/GALLERY]
Picture 2: [GALLERY=media, 43]Facebook Ad Test #1 - Picture 2 by Brewer07 posted Jul 5, 2017 at 12:05 PM[/GALLERY]
Picture 3: [GALLERY=media, 44]Facebook Ad Test #1 - Picture 3 by Brewer07 posted Jul 5, 2017 at 12:05 PM[/GALLERY]

This was in conjunction with running a 20% off sale with no coupon code required - prices were marked down. Zero sales.

Lessons learned:
  1. If Facebook marketing was as easy as throwing together a campaign, spending $60, and making a lot of money, everyone would do it. I'm keeping that in mind because I get down on myself very easily and I'm pretty bummed I made $0 during this campaign + across the 4th of July holiday sale.
  2. Men responded slightly better to the shirtless vs. shirt pictures compared to women, in terms of result rate.
  3. Response rate was lowest amongst those with interest in bodybuilding and related areas. This isn't really surprising.
Next steps:
I am open to advice! Also, if there are additional metrics that would help you advise me, let me know and I'll post them.
I'll be exploring Google Adwords today and aiming to have my first campaign up and running.
I wouldn't get discouraged, you already knew you were in a highly competitive space.

I would imagine social proof to be highly important for any consumable. This means positive comments, reviews, 'likes', or even "quotes" from people who have used it. This is just speculation, but as you gain momentum your conversion ratio might dramatically increase.

Also, I would at least wonder whether no artificial ingredients or dyes is itself a benefit, or if it's a feature. It might be worth having "A pre-workout that's actually healthy!" somewhere in one of the ads you try.

Re: model. My friend has a girlfriend with a professional-level camera and volunteered to take product shots for free. So I worked with what I've got. Should I brighten up the pictures I do have and re-use? I can find stock pictures with much better models but it won't have the product in it. Do you think these would work better? Or is it a matter of finding someone locally with a better physique to pose with the product?
EDIT - another option is just using a product shot with no model. Intuition tells me that a image with a model+product would work better, but I could be wrong - any insight here?
If you can, I'd try getting at least one female model. Given that the attitudes towards working out are HEAVILY split along gender lines, it is possible that women will be bigger buyers of this product. The common wisdom is that men are more often interested in just getting big, where women are more often interested in overall looks/health/staying skinny while getting strong.

Try testing product only shots. There's two benefits to this:

1) you can use product mock ups instead of photos of the actual thing. Now you don't have to worry about bad lighting. Thanks Photoshop!

2) it's pretty tough to not alienate one side of your audience when your model is half naked, (regardless of gender).

I noticed your gender click ratio swung heavily towards the female side.

Let's reverse things. Guys commonly click on pictures of hot women advertising female oriented products. Why? Because they're hot. They're not interested in the product being advertised .

It's possible that we have a similar situation going on here- just from the female perspective.

Food for thought!
I don't see that at all. If that were the case, I'd think women would respond better to the shirtless ad.

What I've seen from other advertising is that when somebody is marketing to exclusively men, they tend to have a shirtless bodybuilder with big muscles. When somebody is marketing exclusively to women, they use an attractive, toned woman in workout clothes. When people are advertising to both, they usually have a man and a woman in shot, both wearing gym clothes(the man is often in a cutoff tee)

• Tastes different than the rest because it works better than the rest.

• Drop your pansy cotton-candy pre-workout. Try something heavier.
I love both of these. The former is clumsy, maybe shorten it as "Tastes different because it works better", or "Tastes different. Puts you on a different level."

Take whatever I say with a grain of salt, as usual.

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
Hey,

Couple of things that you don't really talk much about. I'd love to hear more about your manufacturing and bottling process. What kind of lab are these products being made in? Believe it or not, the facility that they are made in is a HUGE deal. I actually was in this field and did a marketing campaign for USP Labs, Xyience, Zevia, AI Sports Nutrition, BSN, Dream Water, EBoost, Power Crunch Bars, to name a few. This market is so big, it's hard not to find customers. Have you done any private labeling?

Honestly; if I was in this market, I would create a brand that people recognize as the one on the shelf that they don't ever have to worry about reading labels. Let's face it, 80% of the people putting supplements in their body really don't know what they are reading. If you can build a brand that says hey we are the "safe bet" or "we are the good guys," you'll win.

Perfect example: The Honest Company

Good luck

My manufacturer is SDC Nutrition. I have not done private labeling - my approach, thus far, has been to focus on ONE product and selling it successfully before expanding into other products. What are your thoughts here?

I'll look into The Honest Company. Have not heard of them - thanks for the rec!

First of all, props for your massive execution!

I like these. Prefer the 2 sentences over 1 or 3.

The bolded I think suits best for your product. Because you target the benefit (insane strenght), say that you don't sell crap (blue razzberry) and actually sell a good product (real stuff).

It says to me: "I've got to know more, what is this real stuff?"

And then you can tell about the clean/pure stuff on your website.

Thank you! I'll get some FB ads going and see how they work.

These are hilarious! Love it. You're a really solid writer.

I think the millennial generation would love " tastes like eh, works like DAMN"

Thank you! I'll give that a shot on FB as well.

They take the sup because the health mags tell them it's required, not because one brand gives better results than the other. And therefore taste is high on the list.

Out of those lines I would probably opt for something like "Forget your cotton candy pre-work out. This is for the real lifters"

Plays on the mind without drawing too much attention to the taste (or lack of)

Thanks for reading & for the advice. I have also noticed that many reviews/comments are on taste. The hard part to execute here has been finding the people who look past or don't care about taste. Ex: my first affiliate I signed on told me he just throws the powder in his mouth and washes it down with a swig of water, so taste is irrelevant to him.

I should note - my product doesn't taste terrible, IMO, and from the people who have sampled it. The most common feedback I get, and the way I describe it, is - "it works". It's doable, not a dealbreaker, etc.

I'd agree if he was targeting the mass market audience.

But his market is more of the committed, health-conscious crowd. They want to be fit AND healthy. Personally, I don't think he should focus on taste at all. I would just focus on the science backed benefits.

I fall right into his market and one product that comes to mind is Leucine. When you read the reviews on amazon the first thing that pops out is taste. Leucine tastes AWFUL. It's like drinking chalky water and the taste stays in your mouth for 5-20 minutes...

But I kept using it and eventually bought an even bigger package next time. Because I didn't care about the taste, I just wanted the science-backed results.

The people that are truly committed, his market, won't care about taste as much as they care about health and results.

With that said, I'd still keep trying to improve the taste as much as you can. Not everyone is as crazy as me. ;)

---

Side note: @Brewer07 I'd check out Legion Athletics. They're a company in your space that I've bought from in the past. They use citations to back up their claims, mention specific clinically effective doses and have an FAQ section which explains even further ingredients used in the product. You may already know of them, but if not, I'm sure there's a lot to learn.

Thanks for the comment! Spot on - BCAA's taste absolutely terrible. Actually, I remember reading a review for a BCAA product I bought several years back - the reviewer commented "you know it's the real stuff because this tastes awful".

Like I said above - taste isn't awful, definitely not as bad as pure leucine. Ginger + monk fruit is enough to cover the tartness of large amount of L-citrulline.

Good call on Legion - I have come across them before but never took the time to study them like I should. Their product pages have a lot I can study and learn from. I also need to add a money-back guarantee similar to their "It's On Us" offer. Definitely going to dig in on this and compare our pages.

I see they like to sell the whole "natural" aspect of their products, while using "natural flavors" in their products. "Natural flavors" are almost always NOT natural - or, at best, it's a vague term and you have no clue what those "natural flavors" actually are - which is why I'm avoiding them. Any advice on how I can use this to my advantage?

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016
Any advice on how I can use this to my advantage?

That's a tough question...

First you need to know: Does your market actually care about the misuse of the word "natural"?

If they care then you can definitely use it in marketing by pointing out your lack of natural flavors. But if they don't care, it won't help you unless you spend money to educate them about the problems with "natural" flavors.

Either way, a good idea would be to look at the fitness forums or subreddits where your market likes to hang out. See if they care about natural flavors. Or even start a thread asking if they know of any supplements without natural flavors and seeing if they're enthusiastic or indifferent.

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
Seeking feedback and insight on two things:
  1. My product page: Focal Force Premium Pre-workout
    1. My thoughts:
      1. It's a lot of text. When I compare to other product pages (here, here, here, here, here), I see a large amount of text, but it's graphically more appealing. IMO.
      2. I feel like this page could be re-designed to convert better, and I'm seeking outside opinions on areas to improve.
  2. Should my ads direct to my product page, or home page?
    1. All ads run thus far go directly to my product page. Current CTR's are abysmal and have resulted in zero sales. Should I be directing traffic to the home page, or another page? I'll have another ad update posted soon, likely Monday after my current tests finish and I have time to analyze.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
That product page is more like an article. I would cut that right down to the core benefits of using your product. IF they want more info after that? They can research it (hopefully on your website).

Ads, in my opinion, should follow through to a page entirely relevant to the ad itself.

If I see an ad which says "Get pumped with XYZ pre-workout" I want to be taken to the page with that product and a big old buy button. I wanna get pumped!

Rhino8541

Short Term Sacrifice For a Long Term Benefit.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 9, 2015
Washington
I would consider moving the section that says "we'll never use harmful ingredients like......" higher up the page.

Putting a benefit and information right up top for buyers to see early on. Maybe somewhere near the ingredients backed by science section.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I would try a few things:

1. Can you move the most important benefits above the add to cart button?

2. I would change the color of the add to cart button to something more obvious. It's your most important button on the page (call to action) and it's nearly invisible. If you decide to make it red, then maybe you should write your copy in black so it pops out more.

3. Since this is a presale with expected shipping date aug-3 potential customers may prefer to wait or come back later. Can you offer them an early bird discount?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
4. Change the title of your product so to include your most important benefit. 100% natural pre-workout explosion. Or something like that

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
That product page is more like an article. I would cut that right down to the core benefits of using your product. IF they want more info after that? They can research it (hopefully on your website).

Ads, in my opinion, should follow through to a page entirely relevant to the ad itself.

If I see an ad which says "Get pumped with XYZ pre-workout" I want to be taken to the page with that product and a big old buy button. I wanna get pumped!

Thank you! I agree. I think the page is way too long. I'd love to have the same amount of information distilled into four "sections" you can click through, rather than having to scroll through the page - the way Legion has their page set for "Pulse". I have no clue how to do this on Shopify, though.

I would consider moving the section that says "we'll never use harmful ingredients like......" higher up the page.

Putting a benefit and information right up top for buyers to see early on. Maybe somewhere near the ingredients backed by science section.

Good point. I think the entire page could be re-organized into better sections, instead of a hodgepodge of text the way it currently is. See comment above re: sorting into organized sections.

I would try a few things:

1. Can you move the most important benefits above the add to cart button?

2. I would change the color of the add to cart button to something more obvious. It's your most important button on the page (call to action) and it's nearly invisible. If you decide to make it red, then maybe you should write your copy in black so it pops out more.

3. Since this is a presale with expected shipping date aug-3 potential customers may prefer to wait or come back later. Can you offer them an early bird discount?

1. I would love to do that but have no idea how to do it on Shopify.
2. Small but super obvious thing I overlooked. Thank you! Add to cart button is now nice & bright.
3. I've been running numerous sales throughout June & July highlighting savings for pre-orders. I added more text on the page to make it super obvious and added a "compare to" price which shows what it will retail for come August 3rd. Check out the updates and let me know what you think.

4. Change the title of your product so to include your most important benefit. 100% natural pre-workout explosion. Or something like that

"Focal Force Premium Clean Pre-workout". Done. Let's see how it performs!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Awesome progress thus far. If you haven't already heard of him (I suspect you would) check out Dr. Jim Stoppani's brand JYM. He's got a very similar mission to yours. All of his stuff is backed by science and clinical info. I'd definitely recommend checking out how he does things, might give you a few ideas.

http://jymsupplementscience.com/

Also, do you have your PharmD? Wouldn't hurt throwing the word Doctor around on your copy.

Rep++ for massive action.

Following this thread for sure.

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
Awesome progress thus far. If you haven't already heard of him (I suspect you would) check out Dr. Jim Stoppani's brand JYM. He's got a very similar mission to yours. All of his stuff is backed by science and clinical info. I'd definitely recommend checking out how he does things, might give you a few ideas.

http://jymsupplementscience.com/

Also, do you have your PharmD? Wouldn't hurt throwing the word Doctor around on your copy.

Rep++ for massive action.

Following this thread for sure.

Yes, definitely heard of Stoppani and have studied JYM extensively.

I have my PharmD. I sign off as "Alex Brewer, PharmD" on the "About Us" page and in emails. Nothing on the product page though - think I should squeeze that in somewhere?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Yes, definitely heard of Stoppani and have studied JYM extensively.

I have my PharmD. I sign off as "Alex Brewer, PharmD" on the "About Us" page and in emails. Nothing on the product page though - think I should squeeze that in somewhere?

Works well for Stopani, don't think it would hurt!

acerseller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jan 21, 2017
US
I sell a consumable product. Some things that have worked well for me:

- I concentrate on direct to consumer sales via my site and Amazon. I've found retailers to be expensive, time consuming, low margin, energy drains.

- I make sure the product has strong differentiation and I put that front and center. This has allowed me to get away with weak packaging / branding when I want to test new flavors, products, etc. with my core audience.

- I use as much social proof as I can muster. Customer pics, customer videos, reviews, etc.

- I never discount the product, only the shipping. There is only 1 time you get a discount - the first order. 50% off to try the product out, plus a guarantee. This reduces purchase friction and gets the product in customers hands, but doesn't devalue the product.

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
I sell a consumable product. Some things that have worked well for me:

- I concentrate on direct to consumer sales via my site and Amazon. I've found retailers to be expensive, time consuming, low margin, energy drains.

- I make sure the product has strong differentiation and I put that front and center. This has allowed me to get away with weak packaging / branding when I want to test new flavors, products, etc. with my core audience.

- I use as much social proof as I can muster. Customer pics, customer videos, reviews, etc.

- I never discount the product, only the shipping. There is only 1 time you get a discount - the first order. 50% off to try the product out, plus a guarantee. This reduces purchase friction and gets the product in customers hands, but doesn't devalue the product.

Thanks for the input!
  1. I want to be on Amazon, but they currently won't allow me to sell my first product. For some reason, they have idebenone on their "prohibited substances" list, even though it's legal to purchase. Trying to solve this, although I've heard Amazon doesn't budge.
  2. Good point. I'm currently analyzing the copy on my product page and think there's a lot that could be improved.
  3. This is a big point I'm lacking on. I need more social proof. I have a running list of IG "influencers" I've reached out to. All want to try the product before endorsing, so I'm in a bit of a hold until the product comes in and I get samples shipped out.
  4. I'm adopting this same strategy once the product is out - only discount will be the first purchase. Running pre-order discounts has been helpful for validating but I agree it devalues the product long-term.

This is what I would think. If I'm buying something to put in my body, the more 5-star reviews the better.

Agreed. I've got a couple of 5-star reviews posted from friends who sampled the product. Looking to get more once the first manufacturing run is available.

Kwikbitz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 18, 2017
Greece
Hi Brwer07

Stumbled upon this as I was about to start my 'progress journey' here. Now all I can say is your is one of the most 'open and comprehensive' 'thread's I have seen here, from where I sit - totally unknowledgeable about your market all I can see is 'proper professionalism' and it's a great credit to you.

Your story to date is an (or should be:) ) an inspiration to others, and this thread is also a really good progress read.

I seriously wish you and Santcus all the best and look forward to seeing how it all works out (no pun) for you

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
Took some time to be with my family as we experienced a loss. Worked 11 hour shifts at a pharmacy last week while I’m in-between jobs and needing cash, so the business went on the backburner for a few days.

Sales have been very slow in July, but I have managed to surpass the $700 mark. Product should ship out from the manufacturer to me next week!

Specific updates:

Product Page
I re-did some copy, and I re-structured the page to include tabs. Check it out and let me know what you think! My goal is easier navigation and less scrolling.
Link: Focal Force Premium Clean Pre-Workout

Facebook Ads
I ran two recent test campaigns, one July 9-12 and the other July 10-13. Both campaigns were set to run in California, Washington, Oregon, and Colorado, targeting people age 27-30, both genders, with interests related to Crossfit. I used the same images for each, attached below. The ads differed in the copy, which I’ve attached and you can compare below.

Campaign #1 reached 755 people and only generated 6 link clicks, with a $3.31 cost per click.
Campaign #2 reached 1,917 people and only generated 13 link clicks, with a $1.61 cost per click.

I haven’t tried any more subsequent tests. I’m at a bit of a loss for what step to take next here. I need to be advertising my product to continue generating leads but all campaigns I’ve attempted have been complete failures and I’m not sure what mod to make next. I know $20 isn't much to run a test, but over time it adds up.

I’m thinking I need to try @Denim Chicken's advice and stand out vs. looking like every other bodybuilding ad. Go the “pure/medical” route with ad photos. I’m reaching out to my photographer to find a good time to take high-quality shots.

Also, I could try running engagement ads instead of targeting link clicks. I'm not sure what the point of that would be, but it was recommended in the FB ad tutorial video posted on page 1.

Return Policy
I’ve drafted my first version of Sanctus Nutrition’s return policy, which I’ve included below. Let me know what you think. I also want a catchy name for it, something besides “Satisfaction Guarantee” or “Money-Back Guarantee”.

Placement also needs to be decided – currently, I have it in the product FAQ tab and in the footer menu. Should I include it elsewhere, somewhere more prominent?

Our Return Policy
We wholeheartedly believe in the products we’ve created, and we want you to try them risk-free.

For your first purchase of any product sold directly from Sanctus Nutrition, we’ll refund your purchase if you’re not satisfied - no questions asked. No forms to fill out, no waiting, no bullshit.

Just email hello@sanctusnutrition.com with the subject line “Refund” and include your name, email address, order number, and PayPal or Venmo account where you’d like to receive your refund. We’ll refund your money, no questions asked, and you can keep any unused product.

To protect against fraud, this policy is only valid for first-time purchases of products ordered directly from Sanctus Nutrition. This is redeemable up to 60 days after purchase.

For subsequent purchases, we’ll refund your money for any product returned unopened and unused. Visit Sanctus Nutrition and include your name, email address, order number, and put “I’d like to return my purchase” in the body. We’ll be in touch shortly with instructions on how to return your product.

Attachments

• AdImage1.png
    AdImage1.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 43
  • AdImage2.png
    AdImage2.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 43
  • AdImage3.png
    AdImage3.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 41
  • AdImage4.png
    AdImage4.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 41
  • AdImage5.png
    AdImage5.png
    198 KB · Views: 43
  • AdImage6.png
    AdImage6.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Campaign 1 copy.png
    Campaign 1 copy.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Campaign 2 copy.png
    Campaign 2 copy.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 44

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Took some time to be with my family as we experienced a loss. Worked 11 hour shifts at a pharmacy last week while I’m in-between jobs and needing cash, so the business went on the backburner for a few days.

Sales have been very slow in July, but I have managed to surpass the $700 mark. Product should ship out from the manufacturer to me next week!

Specific updates:

Product Page
I re-did some copy, and I re-structured the page to include tabs. Check it out and let me know what you think! My goal is easier navigation and less scrolling.
Link: Focal Force Premium Clean Pre-Workout

Facebook Ads
I ran two recent test campaigns, one July 9-12 and the other July 10-13. Both campaigns were set to run in California, Washington, Oregon, and Colorado, targeting people age 27-30, both genders, with interests related to Crossfit. I used the same images for each, attached below. The ads differed in the copy, which I’ve attached and you can compare below.

Campaign #1 reached 755 people and only generated 6 link clicks, with a $3.31 cost per click.
Campaign #2 reached 1,917 people and only generated 13 link clicks, with a $1.61 cost per click.

I haven’t tried any more subsequent tests. I’m at a bit of a loss for what step to take next here. I need to be advertising my product to continue generating leads but all campaigns I’ve attempted have been complete failures and I’m not sure what mod to make next. I know $20 isn't much to run a test, but over time it adds up.

I’m thinking I need to try @Denim Chicken's advice and stand out vs. looking like every other bodybuilding ad. Go the “pure/medical” route with ad photos. I’m reaching out to my photographer to find a good time to take high-quality shots.

Also, I could try running engagement ads instead of targeting link clicks. I'm not sure what the point of that would be, but it was recommended in the FB ad tutorial video posted on page 1.

Return Policy
I’ve drafted my first version of Sanctus Nutrition’s return policy, which I’ve included below. Let me know what you think. I also want a catchy name for it, something besides “Satisfaction Guarantee” or “Money-Back Guarantee”.

Placement also needs to be decided – currently, I have it in the product FAQ tab and in the footer menu. Should I include it elsewhere, somewhere more prominent?

Our Return Policy
We wholeheartedly believe in the products we’ve created, and we want you to try them risk-free.

For your first purchase of any product sold directly from Sanctus Nutrition, we’ll refund your purchase if you’re not satisfied - no questions asked. No forms to fill out, no waiting, no bullshit.

Just email hello@sanctusnutrition.com with the subject line “Refund” and include your name, email address, order number, and PayPal or Venmo account where you’d like to receive your refund. We’ll refund your money, no questions asked, and you can keep any unused product.

To protect against fraud, this policy is only valid for first-time purchases of products ordered directly from Sanctus Nutrition. This is redeemable up to 60 days after purchase.

For subsequent purchases, we’ll refund your money for any product returned unopened and unused. Visit Sanctus Nutrition and include your name, email address, order number, and put “I’d like to return my purchase” in the body. We’ll be in touch shortly with instructions on how to return your product.

Damn, I like how you take action!

I'm busy now, but I have to respond.

A few things that come to my mind:
• Why do people respond to your $3.31 cpc ad better? And can you downsize the cpc?
• Can you do 110% moneyback guarantee to push sales?
• You say that you want to try the Pure/medical road. Do it!
• Have you thought about providing value through content? So you can use that for a sales funnel? Ex. free sign-up for an article about why XYZ-ingrediënts destroys your body.
• Your pictures seem not to switch/change when I click on them (I'm usig iPhone 5). And your text seems still a little bit to big for my screen, bigger than TFLF.

Keep up the good work man!

I'm sure when you start to ship, you'll get more feedback from your customers which will show you in what direction you should go.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I haven’t tried any more subsequent tests. I’m at a bit of a loss for what step to take next here.

Have you studied FB ads/taken any courses? Those numbers look like an unoptimzed campaign. Which isn't gonna give you any valuable data.

Sure, best way of learning FB is doing it. But getting some grounding first is the way to go. Check out Kingpinning. Tons of free info and a super active FB group.

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
Damn, I like how you take action!

I'm busy now, but I have to respond.

A few things that come to my mind:
• Why do people respond to your $3.31 cpc ad better? And can you downsize the cpc?
• Can you do 110% moneyback guarantee to push sales?
• You say that you want to try the Pure/medical road. Do it!
• Have you thought about providing value through content? So you can use that for a sales funnel? Ex. free sign-up for an article about why XYZ-ingrediënts destroys your body.
• Your pictures seem not to switch/change when I click on them (I'm usig iPhone 5). And your text seems still a little bit to big for my screen, bigger than TFLF.

Keep up the good work man!

I'm sure when you start to ship, you'll get more feedback from your customers which will show you in what direction you should go.

1. My guess is the copy, since that is literally the only difference.
  2. Like a literal 110% guarantee? As in, I'll pay them if they don't like it?
  3. Yes, I've been writing a blog hosted on the website. Sanctus Nutrition Blog. Only promotion has been through sharing posts on FB.

Have you studied FB ads/taken any courses? Those numbers look like an unoptimzed campaign. Which isn't gonna give you any valuable data.

Sure, best way of learning FB is doing it. But getting some grounding first is the way to go. Check out Kingpinning. Tons of free info and a super active FB group.

Nope. I've watched the video posted in page 1 of this thread and that is it. Thanks for the heads up on Kingpinning, should I start with the "FB advertising checklist", "Crushing E-Com Workshop", or both?

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
  1. My guess is the copy, since that is literally the only difference.
  2. Like a literal 110% guarantee? As in, I'll pay them if they don't like it?

1. How can you improve it from there? Ex. lower the cost, having even higher CTR%?

2. Yes, got that from Tim Ferriss. He had used that and saw his sales tripled.

He said that if people don't return it anyway, you know it's a good product. So you might want to go exeptional and offer such a win-win situation for your customer.

If after you tested that, the return% stays the same, you can leave it on, while your sales still increase.

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
1. How can you improve it from there? Ex. lower the cost, having even higher CTR%?

2. Yes, got that from Tim Ferriss. He had used that and saw his sales tripled.

He said that if people don't return it anyway, you know it's a good product. So you might want to go exeptional and offer such a win-win situation for your customer.

If after you tested that, the return% stays the same, you can leave it on, while your sales still increase.

1. No clue how to improve it. I'm a complete rookie at internet marketing.
2. Love it. Do you have a link to a blog post or case study where he discusses it? I'm curious as to how he executed it. Did he specifically make the 110% guarantee front and center and advertise it heavily? Or was it just a feature somewhere on the sales page?

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
1. No clue how to improve it. I'm a complete rookie at internet marketing.
2. Love it. Do you have a link to a blog post or case study where he discusses it? I'm curious as to how he executed it. Did he specifically make the 110% guarantee front and center and advertise it heavily? Or was it just a feature somewhere on the sales page?

Yes it's here: Six-Figure Businesses Built for Less Than $100: 17 Lessons Learned

He explains it in his book more.

Brewer07

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jun 24, 2017
Kentucky
Updates

Podcast

I appeared on my first podcast - you can check it out here: Digging Into Keto, Sanctus Nutrition, & #ABZZ(with special guest Dr. Alex Brewer).
  1. It went well, but generated very little traffic to my site and zero sales.
  2. The host agreed to send my contact info/details to other podcast hosts he knows, so that's a positive.
Influencers/Social Media Outreach
My Instagram account (Sanctus Nutrition (@sanctusnutrition) • Instagram photos and videos) has grown to over 1,100 followers. I've started reaching out to users following me who have a large follower base, offering to send free samples once the product arrives. My goal is that, if they like the product, I can bring them on as affiliates and get some shoutouts/"social proof". So far, I have 14 persons with sizable followings who have agreed to sample the product.

Wholesale
I have two local pharmacies who will be stocking and selling Focal Force. I have 3 gyms who are interested in trying the product and potentially selling it/recommending it to members. There is a 4th gym I'm visiting today - I'm sponsoring an event they are hosting this weekend, and foresee them being agreeable to sampling Focal Force.

Blog
I wrote a blog post about the science behind my product - check it out here. This didn't receive as many views as previous posts. My first 2 posts received the most traffic, while the past two have barely generated any. The only channel I promote them on is via Facebook, and I think my friends may be fatigued from my posts.

So, in all, a bit stagnant. Honestly, I'm at a bit of a hold until the product arrives next week.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Absolute Kudos on your progress, this is phenomenal and of course, I wish you continued support and success as you grow with it.

I know you mentioned that your target audience is 25 - 30 yrs old and you ran the FB ads along these lines, I saw you mentioned you are also looking at going a bit above the 30 yr bracket, did you have any chance to do a test ad for beyond that bracket so you can compare your responses better? (Not trying to jump the gun or anything, was just wondering.)

Oh and another huge factor, I know in your FB ads, you stressed the fact that your product is created by a pharmacist, which actually changes the game here, you weren't an individual seeking a better product who just happened to fall into a partnership with some pharmacist, you are THE pharmacist who were personally looking for something better and created a superb product, why isn't this mentioned anywhere on your homepage? Don't get me wrong, I read it on the "Our Story" page, but why isn't it one of the first things the public sees at the top being mentioned? Based on the superb caption you have - and I quote: ("We create premium sports supplements with zero artificial sweeteners, no food dyes, and no proprietary blends. You deserve healthy supplements, and we're committed to giving you the best on the market.") it would be nice if mentioned somewhere there, so people would get that fact from the get-go.

You mentioned that you are thinking of pushing it through the medical route than just the product route, it is definitely worth doing, as it adds genuinity to your product, thus creating a movement. I know there are a lot of Vegan and/or Organic Chefs who go this route, and they'd team up with Nutritionists etc., who back up their info with Scientific Evidence (you have a great two-in-one - since you do have the medical background [which I think you are playing-down a bit]) AND the solution, through your yearning, to create a better, cleaner, transparent product.

A lot of your friends and family tried the product and they absolutely experienced positive results, do you think any of them would feel cool submitting feedback that you can use as reviews? Any before/after photos? (Here is a dentist [I know, I know, I know, absolutely unrelated] who invented a non-surgical procedure to correct dental problems experienced by patients due to different issues, he's having huge conversions with his approach) *I am not advertising for, nor affiliated with this in no way, form or manner, just using as an example as a conversion page by a medical practitioner.*

You have a lot of great things going for you and this is a progress thread, so I trust that as you keep going, you're bringing in that excellence.

Super, Super, Super Kudos on your venture, man, this is great. Keep up the wonderful work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.